Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Let's talk... hot sauces

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Let's talk... hot sauces
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-02, 17:10

So, in the past few months I've gone from "oh, I don't want to ruin the taste" to "you call that hot!?! nancy boy!" with regards to hot sauces. It started as an experiment, trying to find the best tasting sauces, then the hottest, then the hottest that still taste good.

So far I've tapped out the collection of hot sauces at the supermarket(which surprisingly carries a pretty wide selection) and I am preparing to go online and get a couple more exotic ones. I hear good things about blair's hot sauces, particularly after death and mega death. Additionally, mad dog 357 is apparently among the hottest readily available sauces.

As of now, Dave's gourmet original Insanity is the hottest sauce I've tried. It took me a good week or so to get used to it. Today I tried "The hottest fucking sauce" at a local breakfast place, after being told it was ridiculously hot. It was hot, but nothing ridiculous or hard to handle.

Anyone here into hot sauces(I'd imagine so, nerds seem to like hot sauces for whatever reason), got any recommendations or stories, recipes...etc.?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 17:16

The hottest I've had is Taco Bell Fire Sauce.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 17:23

Dave's Insanity Sauce available from A Southern Season in Chapel Hill (Mail order available)

nothing hotter.... i think A Southern Season also acknowledges it as their hottest and they have like 100+ boutique hot sauces
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-12-02, 17:29

My personal favorite hot sauce, while not terribly hot, is the Thai Red Sauce... I don't remember the name, but lots of people just call it rooster-sauce ('cause there's a rooster on it).

Edit: Found it. It's called Tuong Ot Sriracha

I have also really enjoyed the Dat'l Do It line of hot shit from St. Augustine FL. Again, not the hottest stuff in the world, but great taste.

Last edited by Majost : 2006-12-02 at 17:41.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-02, 17:37

But don't the *really* hot sauces kind of cauterize your mouth, so you can no longer taste the more delicate ranges of flavors in the meal?

I don't know, I guess I just don't *get* the point of really hot sauces.

I love chunky salsa with freshly-fried chips from a nearby Mexican restaurant. It's a 'little' hot, but not really. I mostly love the garlic in it. Mmmm.

One of these days, I intend to start making my own salsa. Yum!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 17:40

Local place here has a huge hot sauce aisle. One of these days I'm gonna check it out.

http://junglejims.com/index.cfm?fuse...70D74765C2DAFF
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-02, 18:20

Hottest sauces in the world...

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-12-02, 18:44

I'm with Carol on sauces definitely being able to be too hot, hurts the flavor I feel personally, but the hottest I've ever had is on that page called "The Source." Less then a drop literally hurt my (and others mouthes), will make little girls cry, and if you wipe your eye or piss (and are a guy) before you've washed your hands thoroughly you are in for a world of trouble.

Hmm, could be wrong, it might have been that "Da Bomb" which is only 1.5million, which is still respectable. If that was that I had, then I wouldn't want to try the other. Of course these are supposed to be added to food, not eaten directly. I wouldn't mind a bottle of these to throw a drop or two into a batch of chili.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-02, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
But don't the *really* hot sauces kind of cauterize your mouth, so you can no longer taste the more delicate ranges of flavors in the meal?

I don't know, I guess I just don't *get* the point of really hot sauces.

I love chunky salsa with freshly-fried chips from a nearby Mexican restaurant. It's a 'little' hot, but not really. I mostly love the garlic in it. Mmmm.

One of these days, I intend to start making my own salsa. Yum!
Not exactly. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in peppers that makes them 'hot' does not actually inflict any physical trauma. It activates the pain receptors which gets the body to release endorphins, giving the body a sort of 'high.

I used to not 'get' hot sauces, but, the truth is, they are fun.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-02, 19:50

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 21:54

If you ever get up Seattle way, check out Dixie's BBQ (11522 Northup Way, Bellevue). Specifically, go meet The Man.

The Man is a small cast iron pot that they just keep adding peppers to, and simmering.

For years now.

The owner (Gene) will walk around with this wonderful pot of liquid sadism, and ask if you wanna meet The Man. Give a silent plea for forgiveness from your rectum the next morning, and simply say yes.

My first visit, I had about 1/4tsp on 1/2 a roast chicken. My gums *BLED*. No joke. I blew out my breath, and the guy across the table ended up yelping and covering his eyes - my breath was like pepper spray.

But you know what? It tasted INCREDIBLE. Yeah, it was hellahot, but it had *flavor*.

I've been back three more time since.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-02, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
If you ever get up Seattle way, check out Dixie's BBQ (11522 Northup Way, Bellevue). Specifically, go meet The Man.

The Man is a small cast iron pot that they just keep adding peppers to, and simmering.

For years now.

The owner (Gene) will walk around with this wonderful pot of liquid sadism, and ask if you wanna meet The Man. Give a silent plea for forgiveness from your rectum the next morning, and simply say yes.

My first visit, I had about 1/4tsp on 1/2 a roast chicken. My gums *BLED*. No joke. I blew out my breath, and the guy across the table ended up yelping and covering his eyes - my breath was like pepper spray.

But you know what? It tasted INCREDIBLE. Yeah, it was hellahot, but it had *flavor*.

I've been back three more time since.
A lot of really hot sauces DO have flavor. It's an interesting market, there are hundreds of wannabes, vinegar-soaked messes that are moderately hot, there are pure capsicum extracts that are meant solely to heat up an existing dish without altering their flavor, and there are gourmet blends that achieve an excellent balance between mind numbingly hot but still tasty.

I'll check out dixie's next time I'm in seattle. Actually, that's a lie, I'm going to Seattle tomorrow but won't have time to go there, so, next time I actually have some time to. That being said, I am wary of a mix like that, most likely it is not as hot as many commercial hot sauces, and the disparate mix of ingredients can and will create actual discomfort that extends beyond the tongue. Which, imo, isn't really worth it.

How's the food otherwise?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 22:43

Excellent. The meats are smoked really nicely. And, they have good sweet tea, which puts it at the front of the class in my book. It's worth going even if you never meet The Man... but for the hothead, it's a treat.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-12-03, 00:42

My bar for hot sauces has always been Red Dog Tavern Armageddon sauce.

1) It was made in a local Adirondack bar where I used to hang out with me dad when I was younger.
2) I've seen people puke after eating it.
3) Damn tasty too...

And no capsaicin extract here!

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-12-03, 00:58

Wow. Your sessions in the bathroom after eating all this hot sauce must sound like a BB gun shooting rapid fire into a kiddie pool.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-12-03, 00:59

If you want hot food, as opposed to just the sauce, try and get some authentic Thai "Nam Tok Moo". It's the hottest thing in the world when it's made right.

Basically it's a hot hot hot sauce, I think similar to the Thai sauce 'Nam Bla', must check. A plate of raw vegatables (absolutely necesary), and strips of pork.

'Nam Tok' in Thai pronounced in a slightly different pitch also means waterfall, which I think is kind of funny, as 'Nam Tok Moo' turns you into a waterfall!

I normally eat it on a night out when I am drunk..... and know about it the next day, everywhere!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-03, 01:09

Ooooh, sounds like a Chinese dish I had a couple years ago in Seattle. My wife and I had gotten used to ordering everything '5 star' on the east coast to *try* and get *anything* with some spice to it. Well, one redeye flight back to Seattle, and we mistakenly ordered 5 star at a much more authentic eatery.

I ended up with a plate of chili paste with some veggies and chicken in it. DAMN that was good, but my experience on the toilet the next morning was the genesis of the Johnny Cash Heat Rating System:

1: A Boy Named Sue
2: (dammit, can't remember this one - any suggestions?)
3: I Walk the Line
4: Folsom Prison Blues
5: Ring of Fire
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-03, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

Not sure I agree with Wrao, but maybe there's no "one answer" (ie. depends on what's in it). I've read that many hot sauces can damage (for lack of a better term) the taste cells on your tongue / in your mouth. And not surprisingly this is why when people start their "experiments", they become more and more "hot sauce resistant" over time. The reason is, the have basically permanently anesthetized the specialized cells on their tongue, so the only way they get that hot sauce buzz (from the pain-endorphin thing) is to use progressively hotter and hotter sauces. Remember: the hot sauces are often highly acid.

That said there was a really good hot sauce I picked up in New Orleans a couple years ago. It was called Crystal sauce or something like that. It had a kick roughly on par with Tobasco, but a really good flavor to it. Much better than Tobasco or most of the chili pepper sauces restaurants give you. Everything you put it on (that requires spicey sauce) was made better by it, without killing the original flavor of the thing you were eating. Good stuff.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-03, 10:38

Hotsauce World rules...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-03, 10:53

BTW, the Crystal sauce I was talking about was a variation of the sauces at top right (Crystal Classics), but it doesn't look like they make it anymore, though I'm sure the existing flavors are great.

http://www.baumerfoods.com/products/index.php?cPath=21

Damn that stuff was good. I don't see the specific flavor / bottle I had anywhere on the web. Notice also their online cart isn't operational due to Katrina. Probably trashed their warehouse. Sucks man. I hope they're still in business; seems you can still get their sauces from other retailers.

...into the light of a dark black night.