Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MIDI interface

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MIDI interface
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-24, 15:23

Looking for a MIDI -> USB or FW interface. I have two MIDI devices, both the auld skool big-assed 17 pin connectors that are about 3" across and lock into place with rivets.

Okay, maybe not, but that's what they feel like in comparison to all my other connectors.

One keyboard controller (Yamaha Clavinova P-100) and one effects machine (Kurzweil K2000).

I know that these can be picked up for peanuts, but I thought I'd at least ask on here before grabbing one randomly.

Audio out -> GarageBand a bonus.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-24, 15:38

Back when I was thinking about getting one*, I found M-AUDIO's offerings to be pretty good. They still have a device that does exactly what you're asking:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

It has one MIDI in and one MIDI out.

M-AUDIO's drivers are up to date as Universal Binary, too.

* I never did buy an adapter, but only because I lost interest in the musical stuff.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-24, 20:58

Wow Kick - a K2000 is a lot more than just an effects machine! I remember when that was the bees knees. Did you buy it new or pick it up cheaply recently and ... what made you pick it up in the first place?

Those questions asked, back to MIDI interfaces:

Here's a list of MIDI to USB interfaces on audiomidi.com.

If it is possible to daisychain the K2000 into the back of the PF100 on a spare channel, then one input/output ought to be enough. However, if you want the possibility of separate input from each controller (presuming your K2000 is a keyboard and not a rack version) then a 2 input interface will probably suit you better in the long run. Check out the MOTU Fast Lane which is still available in a selection of colours, I think, ... if that floats your boat.

Adding audio capabilities bumps the price higher ... not sure of your budget - so have a poke around that audiomidi site to see what suits.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-24, 21:19

Heh. Rack mount, bought it new uh... 12 years ago? 13? Back when I, you know, actually played... :} (Haven't even plugged in the keyboard in 2 years. Lookin' ta change that.) Put it this way, the last time I set this up, I was using a PowerBook 5300 and a serial port adapter.

Anyway, yeah, that's one reason I'd like audio to GarageBand, but I figure, worst case, I can use the 2 1/4" L/R plugs out of the keyboard and adapt them all the way down to a 3.5mm stereo plug to put in the line in/mic port.

So yes, I'd want:

Controller -MIDI-> K2000
Controller -MIDI-> GarageBand
GarageBand -MIDI-> K2000
GarageBand -MIDI-> Controller
K2000 -audio-> GarageBand
Controller -audio-> GarageBand

See? I don't want much... I figure I can use either the Yamaha or GB to drive the K2000, and GB to drive the Yamaha, and the audio from both units back into GB... woot!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-24, 22:02

Serial port adapters ... yeech

GB actually surprised me the other week. I had to do some work with it for the first time and, for the most part, enjoyed the experience. That said, the inability to change time signatures is ludicrous in this day and age. (And, like iTunes, I think the name sucks. )

Judging from the way you describe it - it looks like you want to be able to control the K2000 without the need for the computer.

This will work: PF100 (local off) OUT > K2000 IN ... THRU > interface IN > GB

However, it will be awkward for MIDI OUT.
GB > interface OUT > PF100 IN (channel 1 on, all the rest off) ... THRU > K2000 IN2 - is there a second IN port? (channel 1 off, all the rest on)

If you can live without controlling the K2000 from the PF100 directly:

PF100 (local off) OUT > interface IN > GB
GB > interface OUT > PF100 IN (channel 1 on, all the rest off) ... THRU > K2000 IN (channel 1 off, all the rest on)

Of course, when you're not using the computer, just unplug the MIDI i/f and go directly with the 5 pin MIDI connectors.

As for audio, again, a multi port setup with audio seems the best bet. But if this is just hobby stuff, I'd settle for the 1 in-out interface and dumbing down the phono jacks to mini jacks and going directly into the Mac like that.

That said, you might find the piano and keyboard sounds that are supplied with GB to be adequate and that will mean you don't need audio from the PF100 to be recorded in GB in the first place. This makes your PF100 one lovely, weighted action, *dumb* controller since you don't have the need to hear its sounds. However, if you go to a gig (or unplug the Mac) you can still use that keyboard as your main sound source.

Hope this makes sense.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-24, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Back when I was thinking about getting one*, I found M-AUDIO's offerings to be pretty good. They still have a device that does exactly what you're asking:

It has one MIDI in and one MIDI out.

M-AUDIO's drivers are up to date as Universal Binary, too.

* I never did buy an adapter, but only because I lost interest in the musical stuff.
I've got one of those sitting unused. Kick, if you want it, you can have it for like $10 or something. Lemme know.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-24, 22:17

Mac+: blah blah gay sex blah blah Congress

Sure.

I'm still figuring out what the heck I'm going to be doing with it, so I want flexibility, but not overkill. It's definitely hobby, and gigs? BWAHAHAHAHHHAH... *sigh*...

Just checked: K2000 and PF100 each have one each of In/Out/Thru.

tori: I may take you up on that, thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-24, 22:20

And if Kickaha doesn't take up that offer, may I? A sweet deal on a piece of tech might be enough motivation to get me back in front of my ivories.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-24, 22:20

It's not hard Doc.

Just get that cheap 1-to-1 interface from tori and PM me if you want a hand setting it up.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-24, 22:39

Brad, sure. I'm not using it and it's just sitting in one of my many boxes o' cables right now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-24, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
It's not hard Doc.
Compooters r harrrrrrrrd

Brad, tori, you guys are local to each other, so it makes more sense for Brad to come snag it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-24, 22:52

I think I've also got some other MAudio MIDI interface. Maybe a 2 to 1 or something. I'll have to dig it out. Why do I have this stuff? I got them from ebay before I decided that the reason I don't play music is NOT because I don't have the gear, it's because I don't have the talent.
leachboy

2007-07-24, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

I have one of those and I've been quite happy with it.