User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Emergency Question!! Should I Keep Canon A640 or Get Canon G7??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Emergency Question!! Should I Keep Canon A640 or Get Canon G7??
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 08:51

I've had buyer's remorse!!!
Yesterday I found my fingers entering the keystrokes to purchase a Canon A640 from NewEgg and then a few hours later wondered why I hadn't gone ahead and bought the G7 instead. Now the UPS truck is bearing down on my office and I only have a short time to decide whether or not to refuse delivery (so that I can get refunded by NewEgg).

HELP!!!
What should I do??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 09:01

Quote:
Bottom line, the Canon A640 is destined to become a classic. The Canon A640 is just an excellent all-around digital camera, an easy choice as a Dave's Pick, and we'll go further and give it our heartiest recommendation as a great all-around performer for almost anyone.
The Canon G7 is excellent for many types of photography, so long as there's time. It's a camera for contemplative photography, not candid or action photography.
Canon A640 ~ $270
Canon G7 ~ $470

From what it looks like, that's the bottom line. Well, then the cost seems to double with the G7, but if that's not a factor...

I've got a Kodak Z740 - I'm all about the ease of use and the ability to hand the camera down to one of my kids when I decide to get another.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-14, 09:03

Only you can decide. But better be quick about it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 09:32

No kidding!!

A friend and his wife recently purchased the A630 and I was struck by the quality of the photos it produced... the A640 is even zoomier than the A630 so I *know* that it's a good camera.

I tossed the A640 and the G7 onto the Side-by-Side comparison generator over at Digital Camera Review and they *really* are very similar units in most ways... here are the differences that I see:

- A640 has flip-out screen, G7 does NOT
- A640 uses AA NiMh batts, the G7 uses lithium ion
- G7 has higher resolution viewscreen
- G7 has hotshoe, A640 can use "slave" drive (must be a port??)
- A640 lens goes 35mm-140mm, G7 goes 35mm-210mm
- A640 highest ISO is 800, G7 highest ISO is 1600 (but reviews poorly)

Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-08-14, 09:40

640. You made the right choice the first time.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 09:41

Oh you just can't say that... you have to elaborate!!
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 09:51

My initial reaction was to go expensive. You like to take pictures, you're interested in quality ...

I looked at the DP Review G7 Conclusion though and wonder if you might be better of accepting the less expensive model now, and upgrading to "the next" or "the next, next" model down the road. It seems that they still have a number of issues to sort through. Too many pixels, not enough sensor is the jist of it (I think).

Here is the write-up

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong7/page17.asp

And I bet the A640 takes good/great pictures in many settings and is USD 200 cheaper. A good prospect.
Batman

2007-08-14, 09:55

I've got the Canon A630, the slightly less expensive little brother of the A630 (8 megapixels as opposed to 10 in the A640), and it takes great pictures.

Oh, and the fact that it uses AA battteries is very handy, it has ridiculous battery life, I can take 600-700 pictures (possibly even more) before I need a change of batteries

So, I'd say, you made the right choice.

Edit: The batterty life figures I am quoting are from when I'm using AA Lithium batteries.

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.

Last edited by Batman : 2007-08-14 at 10:14.
Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-14, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
- A640 highest ISO is 800, G7 highest ISO is 1600 (but reviews poorly).
While I don't know anything about either of these specific cameras, I wouldn't be too quick to discount the advantage of higher ISO, Drew. But then, I enjoy shooting flashless in the soup of night.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you decided to do... and how it works out for you.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-14, 11:34

The 640 sounds like a solid, capable camera. I'd go with it and be happy. But that's just me...I'm not much of a spend-monkey, so when I have two products, both of good quality and mostly similar features and performance, I'll opt for the lower priced one (knowing how fast tech moves, I'd rather have a $200 obsolete product than a $400 one).

Unless the G7 just really had something about it that truly blew your mind and impressed you beyond all belief, go with the A640.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 12:32

Between these two bad choices I'd stick with the A640, drewprops.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-14, 13:15

^ We all knew that was coming.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-14, 13:37

A640 because it's more capable for the money. The ability to buy rechargeable batteries and also use ones from 7-11 if needed is a God-send. SD is also a very handy card to use since it's really well adopted (I don't know what the G7 uses).

Stick with the A640.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 14:49

Thanks Dorian!!

Okay guys, you're all right. Thanks to all of you.
Canon pared so many features of the G6 off of their list when they produced the G7 that I can't see spending the extra money. The flip-out screen of the A640 is a feature that I will value. Lithium AAs are something I can live with and Batman's pictures look great.

So.
I'm keeping it when it arrives.

But I sure would be interested to know if you guys think they'll be producing a G8, and if you think it will return to the features it gave up in the current design iteration?

And Dorian, what kind of camera are you hawking these days??

Captain Drew on Twitter
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 14:57

If you refuse the 640, I'll hunt you down.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-14, 15:00

Quote:
But I sure would be interested to know if you guys think they'll be producing a G8, and if you think it will return to the features it gave up in the current design iteration?
There won't be a G8, the successor to the G7 is the TX1, which is a weird photo-video hybrid. The idea is not so bad in principle, but the reviews I've seen aren't very positive. But it certainly fits the segment of people who want a bit more than the very basic video recording capability of most p&s cameras, but not lug a separate video camera around. It's too bad, the G5 was my first digital camera, and it was really capable and still rather compact. But I guess most people either want a pure p&s or will go for the DSLR.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-14, 15:01

If you refuse it, I'll take it...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
what kind of camera are you hawking these days??
I don't really know. It depends what one values, doesn't it?

I'm just annoyed that DSLRs with 1.5x crop factor CCDs are selling for $500 these days, which means the high-quality sensors in them can't be that outrageously expensive anymore. So why isn't someone, if not half a dozen companies, making a nice compact camera with a good fast 28 or 35 mm (film-equivalent focal length) lens, for a reasonable price? Lots of companies were doing that with film cameras around the turn of the century. Now you have to choose between a big, clumsy DSLR, built of cheap plastic and teaming with features that people rarely use, or any of about a million compact models that have itty-bitty sensors and crap zoom lenses. Yuck.

The reason, to answer my own question, is probably that electronic companies have moved into the scene and the traditional camera manufacturers have either been put out of business (Contax, Yashica, Konica, Minolta, etc.) or are fighting for their lives and therefore very risk-averse.

The only people even trying are Sigma. For which I heartily applaud them.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 15:43

Me, I'd go with an S5-IS ($500), or if you want to save a few $$, an S3-IS ($350).

But that's just me.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 15:52

Mike Johnston has a great blog. In May he published this amusing guide to choosing a digital point-and-shoot camera, which I suggest everyone now read for fun if not advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
But I guess most people either want a pure p&s or will go for the DSLR.
Do you think that is really the case, or are camera manufacturers simply too risk-averse in this low-margin era? (I know DSLRs still have decent margins, but compacts don't seem to.) Why wouldn't many people (if not most) prefer a compact camera with the image quality and depth-of-field control of a DSLR w/ good lens? And even more tricky: why did people want that a few years ago with film, yet don't today? Huh?

'Tis all a frustrating mystery to me.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-14, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Me, I'd go with an S5-IS ($500), or if you want to save a few $$, an S3-IS ($350).

But that's just me.
Seconded, thirded and fourth'd. Such an awesome series of cameras.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-08-14, 15:59

Quote:
The flip-out screen of the A640 is a feature that I will value. Lithium AAs are something I can live with and Batman's pictures look great.

So.
I'm keeping it when it arrives.
This is definitely the correct decision.

Congratulations!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 16:10

Thanks~!

Please tell me that Ghoti is just pulling out leg about the TX1 being the "next" in the G series.... that thing looks like you pulled it out of a box of cereal..... jeepers.

Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-14, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Mike Johnston has a great blog. In May he published this amusing guide to choosing a digital point-and-shoot camera, which I suggest everyone now read for fun if not advice.

Do you think that is really the case, or are camera manufacturers simply too risk-averse in this low-margin era? (I know DSLRs still have decent margins, but compacts don't seem to.) Why wouldn't many people (if not most) prefer a compact camera with the image quality and depth-of-field control of a DSLR w/ good lens? And even more tricky: why did people want that a few years ago with film, yet don't today? Huh?

'Tis all a frustrating mystery to me.
I know I do, but I don't have the cash to spend on a midrange camera, being in college. Sadly there are very few cameras in that area, I know there are a few in the $300-500 range that have x10 optical zooms, and limited manual controls, but frankly I'd rather just save up for a DSLR.

I'd love to get a low end DSLR rather than have a point and shoot, simply because I just cannot get the picture quality, and zoom that I want in the same package. I'm hoping to one day have a D40 at the very least. My Dad has an old Nikon SLR at home that he no longer uses (he moved to digital and loves it) so I already have some lenses I could get my hands on, that is if he doesn't mind, which means that all I need is a body.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 16:23

Agreed.

Small Form Factor + Large Chip = Sale To Drew

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-14, 16:34

Quote:
Thanks~!

Please tell me that Ghoti is just pulling out leg about the TX1 being the "next" in the G series.... that thing looks like you pulled it out of a box of cereal..... jeepers.
I think ghoti's just confusing things. The TX1 sits next to the S5 IS and the G7 in Canon's portfolio. All three are high-end P&S models, but each of them with a different focus.

I agree that the TX1's design is… shall we say, creative. But it does seem like an interesting (if not somewhat impressive) product, and if it hadn't been for the significantly higher price (well, that, and the lack of AA battery support…), I would have been tempted to take it over the S3 IS.
Anthem

2007-08-14, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
My initial reaction was to go expensive.
Makes sense. You ARE on a Mac forum, after all.

¡Damned!

2007-08-14, 17:02

Quote:
Thanks~!

Seriously? I think it looks kitsch as hell (like one of those old 50s movie cameras), so I'm already kind of drawn to it. I've been meaning to replace my elph (already have decent a DSLR) and this might do the trick. Movies are just a bonus feature, as I rarely haul my DV cam out on short trips. The handling might take some getting used to, but I'm seriously going to be looking to hold one of these in the flesh (or metal/plastic, as it were).

So it goes.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-14, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think ghoti's just confusing things. The TX1 sits next to the S5 IS and the G7 in Canon's portfolio. All three are high-end P&S models, but each of them with a different focus.
Possible. I just thought I had read somewhere that the TX1 would replace the G-line. But I can't find that anymore now.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-08-14, 17:34

I love my A620. The A640 won't disappointed at all.

I use the flip-out screen a lot more than I thought I would.