User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Encrypting to Back Up Online

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Encrypting to Back Up Online
gbh

2007-11-29, 19:26

I have to encrypt my files on my work notebook because they are very sensitive, particularly if my computer is stolen. I use an online backup service to back up files daily to an internet service (Mozy). This online service is very fast because it only backs up the files that changed that day. I want to continue to use the offsite service.

Now, if I choose to encrypt the entire disk (as with Apple's program), if I use Mozy, everyday when it does its thing it will want to do a full backup of the entire disk. What I need to do is to find a reliable program that can encrypt all individual data files on my computer. Then, when I do a backup each day, the only files that would have changed would be backed up, not everything else I have already previousy backed up online. I need a solution which automatically encrypts and decrypts as I use the individual files?

I need ideas on what programs to use. I want a good one from a reliable and lasting company, not freeware, because this is sensitive corporate data. Any ideas?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 19:34

You could try JungleDisk instead, which uses Amazon's S3 for storage, and where you can pick your own encryption key. Though I believe you can also do that with Mozy. But JungleDisk/Amazon has the more sustainable business model (you pay per GB used, rather than a flat fee).

What I don't understand is why it wants to backup everything. If it accesses the files on the file system level, it should not even see that they are encrypted.
gbh

2007-11-29, 19:48

ghoti, isn't jungledisk just encrypted the data that is transmitted and when it is stored online? What I am asking about it actually encrypting the data that resides on my laptop in case it is stolen.

Also, if I use apple's encryption for my disk, doesn't it do a whole disk. Therefore, whenever I change a file the disk that is encrypted is seen as a whole new disk, and therefore backup up offsite the whole "new" disk each day? Isn't the only way to get around this to encrypt only at the file level so the offsite backup only sees those files that changed that day and backs them up?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 20:00

Oh, I see! I thought your harddisk was already encrypted. Of course JungleDisk doesn't encrypt the data on your computer, that is done by FileVault (in Preferences under Security). That encrypts your home directory, so that if somebody steals your computer they won't be able to read the data. As soon as you are logged in, the files are encrypted and decrypted automatically when they are accessed, so your programs (including the backup) won't know that they are accessing an encrypted disk. And thus backup will work as expected, only backing up changed files.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-11-29, 20:38

ghoti, just out of curiousity, where would be the key for filevault?

Seems to me that if one stole the computer, they would have stolen the key as well, and it's now only matter of time before the key is identified and applied to the encrypted data?
gbh

2007-11-29, 20:46

What you say is true, I think, if you save it in the keychain. I am trying PGP desktop right as we speak where you enter your passphrase when you want to mount the encrypted disk for the first time each day. I am not saving that in the keychain and it would be different than my password for Mac to logon in general. Wouldn't it then be safe if someone stole the computer?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-11-29, 20:51

Well, that's more secure, yes. Be aware, however, you will have a performance hit.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 20:56

You will have a performance hit with encryption in any case. The user password is not stored in the keychain, but the FileVault key is, I guess. But the encryption of the keychain is pretty good, so unless you pick a really weak password, your data should be secure.