Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Am I Doomed to Small Airplane Hell?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Am I Doomed to Small Airplane Hell?
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-08-24, 13:12

I live in NE Ohio, but my family's back in MN. Since it's a 14 hour drive or so, I pretty much stick to flying. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic from Cleveland (or Akron-Canton) to the Twin Cities, so the only flights I can find are on those tiny, cramped, regional planes. The biggest of these, if I'm lucky, have two seats on each side of the aisle - otherwise it's one and two. And they are not very roomy.

Now normally, I just suck it up and deal with it, since it's only a 2 hour flight (assuming you don't get stuck on the tarmac for 6 hours or overnight). But now I'm flying with a baby and I'd really like to fly in a plane where he can lay on my lap and not be halfway in my neighbor's seat. It'd almost be worth it to buy two seats anyway, but it already costs around $250 for one person.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on other airlines to check or if there's some hidden trick to it. Otherwise, I appreciate sympathy and welcome general rants on the woefully inadequate space and service when flying.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-08-24, 13:16

Is flying from Columbus an option? Might have better luck finding a larger plane out of CMH.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-08-24, 13:17

Try Southwest. They don't even own any small planes, that I'm aware of. I've had good experiences with them, and I really hate those tiny regional jets.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-08-24, 13:19

If I remember correctly aren't you from the Akron-Canton area? Why not check Pittsburgh. It's a close from from that area.

Like PK said too, Columbus is a good option. Nice airport. I've flown out of there before.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-08-24, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
If I remember correctly aren't you from the Akron-Canton area? Why not check Pittsburgh. It's a close from from that area.

Like PK said too, Columbus is a good option. Nice airport. I've flown out of there before.
Yeah, I've thought about those. Again, the major downside is traveling with the baby. But again, good things to look into. Thanks!
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-08-24, 14:42

I flew Southwest for the first time since flying back from NM (where somehow I managed to get bulk head seating) and I think I'll only fly them from now on. Wyatt is right, they don't own any small planes, and even if you don't get bulkhead/emergency exit seating they're still pretty roomie. Plus, you can change your ticket times, and location for free.

I think Pitt would be to far for you wouldn't it? I guess I'm not to familiar with Ohio geography but I thought Pitt would still be 2 - 3 hours away.

And All That Could Have Been
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-08-24, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
I flew Southwest for the first time since flying back from NM (where somehow I managed to get bulk head seating) and I think I'll only fly them from now on. Wyatt is right, they don't own any small planes, and even if you don't get bulkhead/emergency exit seating they're still pretty roomie. Plus, you can change your ticket times, and location for free.

I think Pitt would be to far for you wouldn't it? I guess I'm not to familiar with Ohio geography but I thought Pitt would still be 2 - 3 hours away.
Good to know.

Pitt's only an hour/hour and forty-five I think. I haven't driven out there myself, but several of my classmates are from there and it seems like a pretty easy drive. However, it's just not practical at this point for me. If I was traveling alone, sure.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-24, 15:50

Things like this is why a high-speed rail network would be awesome. Oh well.

As someone who made the MN-Ohio trip in a car many times growing up, I assure you that you're doing the right thing by flying, small plane or no.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-24, 16:13

Every time I get on a propeller-based commuter plane, "Peggy Sue" always pops into my head...

I can't stand 'em. And, like an idiot, I'll sit there and watch the propellers, searching for any sign of slow-down or cutting-out (as if I'm in any position to do something about it...climb out on the wing with my wrench set?)

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-08-24, 16:20

FWIW, one option you could look into is asking for a specific seating, especially the frontmost seat which has more leg room (at least that was how it worked for all propeller planes I've ridden) so you could make use of it. Since there's no first class on that kind of planes, they shouldn't cost more than any other seats.

Paul, for me, I'm always worried about someone walking into it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-08-24, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Every time I get on a propeller-based commuter plane, "Peggy Sue" always pops into my head...

I can't stand 'em. And, like an idiot, I'll sit there and watch the propellers, searching for any sign of slow-down or cutting-out (as if I'm in any position to do something about it...climb out on the wing with my wrench set?)