User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 1 of 68 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-06-18, 18:36

I'm not sure if this is too broad of a topic to be addressed by a single thread, but I've always enjoyed car talk and so started this thread about anything concerning automobiles.

I'll start it off with a question I 'borrowed' () from another site (vwvortex.com).

If you could drive one car on one road for one hour what would you choose?

I think I'd go for a Porsche GT2 on Highway 1.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-18, 21:58

If I could take a car on the road for an hour, it would be the Ferrari enzo. Heck I won't even return it.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-18, 22:09

shelby cobra

¡Damned!

2004-06-18, 23:01

For my gf's birthday last year I bought her a 1973 BMW 2002 (she was born in '72, so I wanted something made that year). Completely renovated from head to exhaust pipe. Verona Red. Sexy as all hell.

Oh, and to address your question:

1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder. The sexiest car ever made.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2004-06-18 at 23:08.
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-06-18, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
If I could take a car on the road for an hour, it would be the Ferrari enzo. Heck I won't even return it.
I've always wondered if there's some valet out there in a remote part of Mexico with some of the world's most exotic cars.

"yep...this enzo here...got it two days ago. turned it to the border and never looked back.."

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-19, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
For my gf's birthday last year I bought her a 1973 BMW 2002 (she was born in '72, so I wanted something made that year). Completely renovated from head to exhaust pipe. Verona Red. Sexy as all hell.

Oh, and to address your question:

1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder. The sexiest car ever made.

:wow: wow - what a very generous gift! (I hope she was appreciative. )

As for the Alfa choice - agreed: it has an old world class about it that just reeks style! However, I also like the new Alfa Spiders / GTVs too! (and the 2004 brera looks cool too! ) link

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-06-19, 01:21

I will choose a Porsche Turbo, and I choose a private road, because I don't want to lose my driving license.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 12:56

Welcome to Car Talk, I'm Linda Richmond. Oh now I'm getting all verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic: I like cars, so why not have a general car talk thread? Any kind of car talk welcome. Got the idea as we were talking about my Scooby in the lolcat thread, and didn't want to keep derailing the lols there.

I know there's a bunch of car guys here, let's talk about our whips... yo. Or new cars coming up, or past cars you've loved, or current cars... whatever. Top Gear talk also strongly encouraged.

So I'll start with my cars. The only really big project car I ever had was building a badass built up low compression SR20DE engine for my Sentra SE-R, and slapping a massive turbocharger on it. That didn't end very well, but it was running for about a little while. It got totaled in an accident, the other person's fault. I was pissed. Here's a couple pics. Stock looking and mostly innocuous on the outside, fire breathing monster on the inside.

Why yes, that turbocharger is almost half the size of the entire engine. At a curb weight of about 2450 lbs, this thing was a rocket ship. I put a lot of money into improving all aspects of the car, especially the suspension and brakes. Fully custom suspension with more travel than stock, relatively massive Wilwood 4-pot lightweight racing calipers on large rotors, a high end Quaife mechanical limited slip differential in the front, polyurethane bushings everywhere. To say that I could do rolling burnouts in 2nd gear would be an understatement.

That was an immensely fun car. It handled like it was on rails, and it went like stink. On fire. With the boost controller turned off and the wastegate at the default 10 psi, the car made about 250-270 HP at the front wheels. To put that in perspective, that power to weight ratio is almost as good as a Corvette Z06. Not quite, but close. But the thing is, that turbo was so big it didn't even become efficient until about 14 psi. It was designed to run at 18-20 psi. When the boost was cranked up it was making over 400 at the wheels. It was pretty ridiculous, but it was so fun. At high boost levels it felt like I was being shot out of a cannon every time I got on the gas.

I miss that car. These days I don't really have the time or money to spend on a project car, so I've just done minimal upgrades to my Legacy. Right now it has an AP map good for a total of about 300 HP and 305 lb-ft., and I have a set of Ion springs on it, great for handling. I've never been a fan of external modification so it still looks stock other than the aftermarket 18" wheels. At some point I'll probably get a bigger turbo to replace the stock one but I'm not in any hurry.

Oh and always a manual transmission for me. As long as I have the option it'll always be a manual.

At one point I also had a Nissan NX2000 that I had swapped a j-spec SR20DET factory turbocharged motor into. That was also a fun car, but more in a "this is how it should have been from the factory" way. I took it down some drag strips and got a 13.8@101 in it. I think it was a little faster than that, but my clutch had been slipping the whole day and had to be replaced after that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-02, 13:08

I have a 2001 silver Saturn SC1 coupe (the three-door thing, with a backwards-opening "rear door" behind the driver door for easy backseat access and storage). I love it. It's a 5-speed and it's been all over SoCal, across the country and all over the Southeast. It's a workhorse. It's right at 86,000 miles.

Alas, my final Saturn (as they'll no longer exist in another year or two).

I used to have a few pics, but I don't know where they went.

But here are a couple via Google:

And the third door in action. So handy (groceries, large boxy items, musical gear, etc.). It's a two-door coupe, but with the handiness and convenience of a four-door when you need it. And because that rear door opens backwards and there's no brace or pole in that opening, you have a huge area to work with, with no obstructions. If you slide the driver seat forward, you can get really large items in the backseat that you simply couldn't do with a standard 4-door opening design. I've put huge amps, large Rubbermaid boxes, a 27" tube TV (quite big and bulky), air compressors, items from Home Depot, sawhorses and much more there over the years, with ease.

And, yes...I have a white Apple sticker - centered, down low - in the rear window, and it's been there since the day I bought it in April 2001. I always thought the car looked like a G4 tower, in that it's very slick and glossy at all times (even when it's dirty...must be the topcoat?), and has nice little swoops, curves and cutbacks throughout.

Glad I went with the silver. After eight years, I'm not sick of it and it doesn't feel like a dated, trendy color that screams "early 2000's". My next car will probably be some sort of grey or silver as well (unless it's available in that awesome copper/burnt orange color I'm seeing on the road more and more these days). That's the only "color" I'd truly feel good about having, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-02 at 13:20.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-12-02, 13:17

I love suicide doors on cars, and love them on my car as well.

The pic is old, but the car looks the exact same.

my baby

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 13:20

Oh, I like the RX-8s. And Mazdas in general. My co-worker really wants to get a new Speed 3, we both love the hot hatch factor.
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-02, 13:26

Do I even need to say which company I favor?

2007 Saturn Aura XR. Love it 15,600 miles later. Love the 252 HP 3.6 DOHC V6, put synthetic oil in it, ditched the POS OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires with Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons, and hope Santa gets me Ceramic brake pads.

My dad has a 2007 BMW 335xi. Stock with no high pressure fuel pump issues yet( knocks on wood).

giggity
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 14:17

Not my picture, but it is the type of truck I'm currently driving.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 14:27

In chronological order: (None of the pictures mine)

'76 Jeep Cherokee: (mine was blue/white, it was a beast in the hills)

'73 BMW 2002: (mine was burgundy - FUN little car, wish I had a tii variant now)

'86 Chrysler LeBaron convertible: (No, I don't know what I was thinking either.)

'92 Kawasaki R600: (Awww, I learned to ride on this little thing... It's so *cute*.)

'95 Ducati 900CR SuperSport: (GOD I miss this bike...)

'95/'96 Jeep Cherokee: (No, seriously - front half is a '95, rear half is a '96. Chop shop special.)

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 14:33

This is my spaceship car, taken on the day I brought it home two years ago. It's a 2007 Civic Hybrid and I love it.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2009-12-02, 16:11

Bought during Cash for Clunkers in August, my 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, fully loaded wrt bells and whistles: on-demand 4WD; automatic keyless entry, so that when my hand starts to encircle the door handle, the car beeps twice and unlocks automatically - a great safety feature at night in dark parking lots; interior lights that light up when I approach the car - another great safety feature; moon roof; luggage rack; pressure on all tires (including spare on back) automatically monitored; 6-CD system; satellite radio; blue-tooth; steering wheel controls for audio systems; light grey leather seats; alarm system that prevents the car from being started; push-button ignition; extra-gorgeous pearlized white paint; and more...

I have 2,255 miles on it now. It's fun to drive and I'll probably have it for a long time.

Regarding appearance, mine has a protection strip along the side, so it looks nicer than the one in the pic, imo.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I love suicide doors on cars, and love them on my car as well.

The pic is old, but the car looks the exact same.

my baby
I'd love one of these, but I'm pretty happy with my 6.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 17:31

This came up in conversation with my co-worker today - if you were going to buy a car primarily for gas mileage, which way would you go?

A) Gas/electric hybrid
B) Diesel
C) Small lightweight car with tiny gas engine

I chose diesel, because to me it represents the least amount of compromise. You can still have a bigger car or a wagon or something while retaining respectable gas mileage. There's no main battery to replace after 3 years, and you can fill up on diesel at the same pumps everyone else does.

My friend has a Scion XB (1st gen) and while it does crank out mid-30s MPG, it's really annoying to drive. Hybrids are nicer, like the new Prius, but they're also more expensive.

There are some sub-classes like Honda's hydrogen electric hybrid, but that's still not viable yet due to lack of hydrogen filling stations.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-12-02, 18:10

My first car was a title claim from the woods near my house. It had been abandoned long before I found it. 1967 Ford Galaixe 500. Mine was all white. I never got it street legal but I did get it running and replaced the whole brake system myself. It was my senior year Auto Shop project. I got an "A".

1989 Subaru GL, though mine was Black. Strictly A to B until it was hit by an incompetent driver.

Subaru was replaced by an 1989 Plymouth Sundance. Yet again it was a cheap A to B car.

The Plymouth was replaced by a 1969 Ford Mustang. I loved this car. It had some serious character. I rebuilt the engine in it and did some other major mods to it. I loved that car until it stranded me for the third time. Mine had a white hood and spray paint blue complete with run on the body.

After being stranded I kept the Mustang for a while but use a 1998 Ford Ranger as my daily driver and off roading toy. I added real nerf bars and brush guards for the front grill/light and real lights. I also added PIAA Off Road Driving light to the grill guard. I really liked that ride.

The Ranger was replaced with my current car at 195K miles, the Ford Contour Sport with 2.5L. Nice without an mods. I still enjoy driving this car.

I passed my Contour on to my wife and picked up a 1999 Toyota Camry since it had better milage for the long trips I went on. I enjoyed the car's comfort but missed the power of my Ford.

It died young due to the sludge build up issue that model engine had.

I went back to my Ford and got my wife a 2005 Toyota Sienna. She loves it and I enjoy driving it when I take the whole family with me.

Not sure what's next but I would love another sporty car. I think we are heading for something a little different though.

Not this model, but you get the idea.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-12-02, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
'73 BMW 2002: (mine was burgundy - FUN little car, wish I had a tii variant now)

That is soooo sweet. I would love to have 2002. *Drool*

I can't imagine why you would need ceramic pads Quag... seriously, on a daily driver? You do autocross the astra?

That's mine.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-02, 20:09

Nothing Fancy for me. Both are images of the actual cars, in winter to boot.

First Car: 1987 Honda Accord

Second Car: 2004 Toyota Corolla LE

Loved my first car, simply because it was my first car. I only owned it two years, but it was costing me too much to keep fixing it. As for my second car, it wasn't my first choice in terms of looks and size, I wanted something smaller, but once I drove the Corolla, I was sold on it.
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-02, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I can't imagine why you would need ceramic pads Quag... seriously, on a daily driver? You do autocross the astra?
Quieter mostly. The brakes are squealing on my car and the rotors were just resurfaced 3 months ago to fix this problem. One of my friends used to have a Pontiac G6 GTP( same car as the Aura ) and he replaced the metallic pads with ceramics and any squealing disappeared without replacing the rotors as well. The pads are at ~40% right now anyway. So it isn't like I am throwing away good pads like I did with the tires.

giggity
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-12-02, 20:30

Don't most ceramic pads require a bit of a workout to get them up to temperature and optimal stopping capabilities? Ceramic composites are a more viable option IMO.

Err, I meant Aura but I wrote Astra, my apologies.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-12-02, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
...I chose diesel, because to me it represents the least amount of compromise. You can still have a bigger car or a wagon or something while retaining respectable gas mileage. There's no main battery to replace after 3 years, and you can fill up on diesel at the same pumps everyone else does..
Smart choice. Just make sure you fill up with diesel. My friend who's a mechanic was telling me last week about this guy who loaned his '09 Jetta TDI to his wife who fueled up on the way home....with gasoline. My friend had to drop the tank to completely drain it which required removal of the exhaust and some suspension bits and then blow out the lines. Came to around $750! Of course our local VW dealer wanted almost $1500.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-12-02, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Smart choice. Just make sure you fill up with diesel. My friend who's a mechanic was telling me last week about this guy who loaned his '09 Jetta TDI to his wife who fueled up on the way home....with gasoline. My friend had to drop the tank to completely drain it which required removal of the exhaust and some suspension bits and then blow out the lines. Came to around $750! Of course our local VW dealer wanted almost $1500.
I thought they had differen nozzles! How could you make such a mistake. do they not have different nozzles?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-12-02, 20:57

The gas nozzle is smaller than the diesel. You can't put the diesel nozzle in a gas inlet.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-12-02, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

It died young due to the sludge build up issue that model engine had.
My parents had that car. I remember one day my Dad told me he took it in for an oil change at the dealer and they recommended an anti sludge flush for the car. I thought it was a dealer scam since the car barely had 30K on it. A few years later they were blowing up. Changes Toyota made to the engine making it run hotter combined with people following the wrong maintenance schedule for oil changes did a lot of them in. Those who did mostly highway miles or ran synthetic fared much better.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-12-02, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
The gas nozzle is smaller than the diesel. You can't put the diesel nozzle in a gas inlet.
Obviously here in NJ you can. There is around fifteen gallons of gasoline mixed with a few gallons of diesel in his shop. It does say Diesel Only on the fuel filler flap or cap but the guy pumping probably couldn't read English. Self serve is illegal here so you are mostly dealing with third world types who barely speak the language let alone read it. Of course it was her job to know what was needed.

edit: oops! I was replying to the post above yours!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 21:08

None of the pics are mine, but...

First car (1996-1998): 1989 Toyota Tercel EZ, manual 4-speed.

Second car (1998-1999): 1989 Acura Integra LS hatchback, manual 5-speed. Mine was a metallica gold color, and in great shape for having been a Minnesota car.

That's all...when I moved to Austin for college, I sold the Acura, and haven't had a car since.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-02, 21:51

First car and only one so far: 1994 Ford Explorer.

(Yes, that is a ticket on the windshield)

Soon to be replaced...but I'll update this thread when that happens.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2009-12-02 at 22:02.