User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 55 of 68 First Previous 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-23, 14:00

My uncle has a folding trailer that I'm REALLY interested in. When flattened out it holds 4x8' plywood. In fact, the deck is a 4x8 sheet cut in the middle. It would be perfect for most runs though would struggle with large stacks.
Quote:
Payload capacity is 1170 lbs. with a 1400-lb. max. GVWR
That is something that can be stored easily in the garage and pulled out when needed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-23, 14:43

That trailer is almost worth storing with the way it folds. I'd be tempted to give it a floor with expanded steel sheet (light, replaceable, easy to wash out). My problem is our garage is on the tight side for a two car. Other things need to go into it before thinking of a trailer. There's enough room around the rest of the property, but I never like having extra stuff stored out in the open, and there might even be a bylaw against it in this case. hmmm...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-23, 15:43

The small truck thing is why I ordered a Ford Maverick Hybrid. Hoping it will be a good vehicle. The Ranger isn’t a small truck, nor is a Tacoma/Frontier etc. All the midsize trucks are only a few inches shorter and smaller than full size ones these days. Can throw stuff in the back and not have to put stuff into the cabin. Kind of wish they had a two seater version with a bigger bed, but you can’t have everything.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-23, 15:58

I didn't realize the Maverick was only 4 door. Yeah, not for me. If I'm going to have an extended cab I want it to have suicide doors at most. I'm not hauling people, I'm hauling stuff. Extra seating would be a bonus, not why I buy it.

Edit: is the Maverick a plugin hybrid?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-11-23 at 16:18.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-23, 19:40

The Maverick is not a plug-in, but it was designed with space for a bigger battery, so it is likely in the future. Ford has closed orders for the hybrid already, as of the 15th, the 2022 models are sold out. So you can only order the non-hybrid EcoBoost 2.0L turbo until the 2023 model is released sometime next year.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-23, 19:58

Ford stonk has been on the climb since late October.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-23, 20:36

Thanks. At this point my next vehicle will be a plugin hybrid or straight electric. I don't care about oil and pollution per se, but I'm getting solar so it just kinda makes sense. Lightning looks great, but bigger than I'm after. The base model Maverick is actually appealing to me for the price, other than being forced into 4-door.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-23, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ford stonk has been on the climb since late October.

Yeah, lots of popular vehicles came out in the last few years. Ford wasn't even on my list of consideration, I've always viewed American car manufactures as making junk vehicles. Feels like a big risk, but the Ford trucks seem okay, at least in terms of engines.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-24, 08:46

I will say personally, I've always had great Ford power/drivetrains. Really, even my '68 Mustang I had for a number of years. My Rangers have been super solid... but they were late '90s models. One was 4x4 and the other 2wd. I did have a challenge with the transfer case on the 4x4 right before I sold it, but it wasn't major and I did take that thing where no other trucks had been before.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-24, 10:07

New Bronco looks interesting, probably rides nearly as loud as a Jeep though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-24, 10:14

Ford does seem to have strange thing going with the Bronco, in that there are two models, the big off road version and the smaller Bronco Sport. The latter of which, like the Maverick, shares a platform with the Escape and likely rides more like an SUV. The Bronco is kind of a purposeful off road vehicle, so it have a rough ride is due to the suspension setup being made for that. I saw a Bronco this week, on the road, for the first time. I find it looks a little odd, but that boxy style seems to be the direction Ford is going with this generation of vehicles.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-24, 11:04

Neighbour down the street just bought a Bronco Sport. Seems nice enough.

I wonder about the full size Bronco design choices though. It could probably be stronger and lighter with a fixed roof, and doors and fenders that are not designed for easy removal. Would certainly cut down wind noise, and road noise then becomes mostly a question of tire fitment...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-24, 14:12

The Bronco Sport is a POSER!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 14:17

In what way? Trading on the name and reputation without the specs/performance/features of the real thing?

Or does it come up short in the low-speed getaway/freeway chase department?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-24, 15:10

It's like your local IMAX theater that isn't actually configured to deliver the true IMAX experience, but trades on the name brand.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 15:26

Ah. I think that’s the one here in town. I’ve heard people grouse about that, but I didn’t fully understand.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-24, 16:13

Quote:

It's like your local IMAX theater that isn't actually configured to deliver the true IMAX experience, but trades on the name brand.

Meh, IMAX is the poser. We have OMNIMAX in Vancouver.

The Bronco Sport is a gateway drug, part of Ford’s strategy to bring in new young buyers. The Maverick was a failed sedan, but the truck with that name seems to be doing well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 02:53

I just read a review of Honda's latest interface with CarPlay and it sounds lackluster.

I'm going to LOATHE any car that has a shitty interface with my smartphone, or uses aging technology like USB-A jacks.

The auto industry has one more giant hurdle to leap, technologically, to make automobiles even easier to integrate with consumers' mobile devices. There's nothing that ages a car faster than outmoded technology built into the dash (I'm looking at you, built-in Honda integrated map with quarterly DVD updates).

Is no one able to catch Tesla??

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-12-29, 06:33

Finally got a call about 2 weeks ago that I was going to be able to build that GMC truck I've been waiting for, went in Monday only to find out that right now they are only building short bed trucks, which I can't use because of work purposes. Major bummer because it's just another delay.

I believe those GMC Sierra Denali's that I'm looking at have USB-C inputs in them though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-29, 08:07

Quote:
I just read a review of Honda's latest interface with CarPlay and it sounds lackluster.

I'm going to LOATHE any car that has a shitty interface with my smartphone, or uses aging technology like USB-A jacks.

The auto industry has one more giant hurdle to leap, technologically, to make automobiles even easier to integrate with consumers' mobile devices. There's nothing that ages a car faster than outmoded technology built into the dash (I'm looking at you, built-in Honda integrated map with quarterly DVD updates).

Is no one able to catch Tesla??

Nothing in that report that isn’t happening with all the other brands, although most have moved on to over the air updates for software at this point. Tesla isn’t selling any $20k-$30k entry level vehicles last I checked, so it’s hard to compare with a Honda Civic. I also consider Tesla’s screen interface thing a downgrade, but that’s just me, I like dials and buttons. Must be an old fart.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 08:36

I kinda like the unibody trucks I’ve seen lately. Questions of roominess and utility come up. Is there enough space in the bed to be useful. Is there enough room for four adults in the “cab”. I think the choices in Canada are three. Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Santa Cruz and Ford Maverick. Ford’s being the most truck-like. I wouldn’t mind a truck that drives like a sedan. I guess the main advantage would be you can toss wet and dirty crap in the bed more easily than with an SUV.

Last edited by Matsu : 2021-12-29 at 10:22.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-29, 09:52

Not to mention that if you do any home renovations, having the wood in the bed is way safer than having it in the cabin.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Nothing in that report that isn’t happening with all the other brands, although most have moved on to over the air updates for software at this point. Tesla isn’t selling any $20k-$30k entry level vehicles last I checked, so it’s hard to compare with a Honda Civic. I also consider Tesla’s screen interface thing a downgrade, but that’s just me, I like dials and buttons. Must be an old fart.
Oh that's my fear! Shitty experiences across the board, not just with an economy car.

Honda actually dialed their interface BACK a bit, returning a few dials back to their drivers.

I could present a Ted Talk on why glass interfaces don't belong in automobiles!! Knobs, dials, slides, levers, and buttons are intrinsically better for muscle memory than digital interfaces in a motor vehicle, you dirty nerds.

The idea that I'm trying to articulate is: what comes next? What is this awkward stage leading to? If you'd told auto execs 15 years ago that they would have to build cars that relied on allowing people to hook up their personal computer, they'd have called you crazy.

Customers expect it now, and a lot of people just take what they've been given and don't push the limits. Some of us seize the technology and immediately run up against the limitations.

When I finally got an iPhone I immediately began using Siri to send texts while driving. It was cool, but it quickly became frustrating.

My current ride is a 2003 Accord and in the first few years of owning it I found an aftermarket breakout box pre-amp that allowed me to pipe my phone through the stereo.

My worry is there'll be precious little I'll be able to do to bring one of these computerized cars/trucks up to my speed.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 10:27

I've been saying this for years, but I just get called "old man", and its more cuntish variant "boomer". As if.

I do agree about dials, knobs, switches, etc. in something like a car. I can reach up, and, without taking my eyes off the road for one second, fiddle with my radio, temp, etc. because I know what I'm touching, how much to turn or slide it, etc. There's something to that, indeed. I'll always prefer/appreciate that sort of control vs. any touchscreen-based system that will ever be invented.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-29 at 10:54. Reason: Say more with less, Paul. Don't take out your quarantine anger/frustration on these fine people... :p
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 10:48

I'm basically fine with the Apple interface in my (2021) Subaru?

Climate controls are all through knobs/buttons. Volume/source picker are physical controls on the center column but I usually just use the equivalent buttons on the steering wheel. The wheel also has a Siri activation button.

There's of course a big touch screen as well, but I don't to interact with it for anything while driving. If I'm using maps, I'll usually put the map on the main touch screen, Spotify current track on the mini display above it and adaptive cruise control/lane-keep assist status on the in-dash screen behind the wheel.

Yes, this thing has three different displays for some reason.

All the "essential" controls have physical buttons or knobs, the screen is really only needed for picking a Spotify playlist or Maps destination, which I do before driving off.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 10:56

That looks so sharp. I love that stitching look. Car interiors, baseball gloves, guitar straps, etc. That's a look I've just always liked. Looks great. That's an actual pic of your car, looking out over that view? Looks like a nice big print ad.

Is that Denver in the picture?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 11:01

Nope, grabbed it from the manufacturer's site.

I don't think there's anywhere in Denver where you can be on a mountain, looking over the city with more mountains in the distance. Denver only has mountains on one side, the other side is the plains. Maybe Salt Lake?

But it *is* my model/trim.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 11:07

Ah, then I was onto something. I was like "he takes pictures that look like car ads/promo photography!"

Yeah, one of my hobbies is figuring out places via photos, maps, 3D/street-level mapping, etc. I was having trouble making this Denver for the reasons you said. I assumed it was your pic, so that's why I was hung up on Colorado in general. Yeah, it could be SLC.

I'm gonna have to figure this out now...

UPDATE: Might be Portland, Oregon, going by the address/image on the dash map, and the buildings/skyline.

UPDATE #2: It is indeed Portland. Council Crest Park. That didn't take long! My record of "figuring places out with the scantest of clues/info" remains unbroken. But having the location on that dash map certainly helped. Gave me a place to start my search. And a Subaru in Portland probably isn't some far-out, unheard-of thing either... I know four people with Subarus - all Outbacks - and I really like them. One dark blue, two white and one silver-blue. I always enjoy riding shotgun in them.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-29 at 11:24.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 11:14

Could be. My other guess was Bozeman or Missoula in Montana.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 12:15

Dang it. I did look at Subarus too, and they really are solid cars. Dang it.

I'll never pick a new car at this rate