User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 58 of 68 First Previous 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-10, 15:37

Given that an auto dimming rear view mirror is $300-800, I’d hate to see what an auto dimming window would cost.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-10, 15:48

Or worse, when you gt a rock that dings it enough to warrant replacement.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 15:49

Gotta start somewhere before it can trickle down. Just thought it’d be more useful than colour changing paint.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
It would be really handy for anyone, especially eyeglass wearers. I have transitions, but they don’t work indoors or inside the car - window glass blocks UV. I keep a pair of non transitions in the car, with integrated magnetic polarized clips. They’re nice and low profile, but sometimes I’m juggling two lens cases and the clips stuffed in the headliner. Or I forget and I’m wearing the transitions which don’t clip. Etc etc. Annoying. It’d be awesome to have the car just sense low angle bright light and dim the glass appropriately.
That sounds confusing. I have glasses with transitions, and just keep the frame clip-ons in the car for when I'm driving.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 16:54

I'm a bit peculiar about my eyes because they've been poor since childhood. I use primarily two sets of glasses. One set transitions from clear to dark grey when exposed to UV. I wear these a lot around the house and outdoors, but they are not effective in the car because the car's glass blocks the UV light that triggers the photochromic reaction to darken the lenses. I don't have clip-ons for these.

I keep another set of glasses (different style) with plain clear lenses. This set comes with magnetic clip-ons which I keep in my sun visor. I alternate which glasses I wear at different times of the day depending on what I'm doing, so sometimes I'm not wearing the set which takes clips. I'll tend to switch to the plain glasses when outside doing something photographic - doesn't mess with my perception of lighting - and I would make sure to put them on especially during the winter commute home (which hasn't happened in nearly two years now) but which tended to put the setting sun in my eyes...

It's all a bit too nitpickity I realize. I may just throw one of those Asian sunvisor/face-cover contraptions in my car and abandon any pretense of style I have left... or those giant-ass senior citizen overmolded glasses you get at the truck stops... LOL.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-19, 10:15

So after set back, after set back, I get a call that I can finally go order my truck only to find out that the GMC Denali Ultimate only comes in the short 4.5' bed. Can't use it for work. Have to go with the standard Denali unfortunately. Not overly happy, but don't have any other choice. Hoping to go build it tomorrow. Looking at 2Q delivery date most likely.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-19, 20:37

That's typical, most of the high end trim trucks have shorter beds, but 4 1/2 feet on a full size? That wait isn't too bad, some vehicles have 6-12+ month waiting lists.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-19, 21:09

At this point, what cars ARE available?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-19, 23:29

Used? Overpriced beaters, anything that’s good, people are holding onto. New on the lots? Nothing. Almost everything new that dealers list is pre-sold. You’ve got to go and place an order, or happen upon something that someone else passed on, in which case it will likely be marked up $10-15k over MSRP on average.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-20, 00:26

In Russia, car picks YOU!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-20, 06:21

Wasn't even that it wasn't available, they weren't even available to build or order. This was just 9 month wait before you could even build it. Now it'll be another 6+ months. I've put 2 deposits and had them returned since last March. They basically missed a yearly cycle. Finally think I can actually do it this time.

I was wrong about the bed. I thought it was a 4.5-5' bed. Looks like it's closer to 70-71". I might be able to live with that. Still a little short. I'm going to go into the dealership today.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-20, 09:57

Yup the wait is a long one. Ordered my truck in early November, might get it in sometime between June and September. If there are enough people in front of me (and how many allocations my dealer has) it might get rolled into a 2023. Production of those starts in October. Given that prices of 2023 vehicles are expected to spike, and interest rates are set to go up several times this year, it might push the price too high, and might have to go for something used after all. That’s not something I’m looking forward to.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-20, 14:23

Why dim the entire window when you can simply dim a spot between the driver's eyes and the sun? That's what I want.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-20, 15:54

Ordered my truck today. They told me they don't plan to go into production until July and won't get it until the fall. Fun times. Like yours, PB PM, they said they might just change the name to the 2023 at that point.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-20, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Why dim the entire window when you can simply dim a spot between the driver's eyes and the sun? That's what I want.

There’s already something for that, they’re called sun glasses.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-20, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
There’s already something for that, they’re called sun glasses.
But, but, but...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-25, 10:40

Ford announced this week they are closing 2022 model year orders for the Maverick. They closed hybrid orders on November 15, 2021, now the turbo engine orders close on the 27th of January. Not surprised, given the parts/chip shortages.

The impression I get is that one of the biggest constraints is parts for the Hybrid electric motors. Apparently Ford executives were blown away by the demand for the hybrid, thus the early order closing. Not sure why, with fuel prices spiking, and likely to continue to do so, they should have seen it coming. Then again, when part supply orders went out in 2020 (most likely time frame), new vehicle sales were trending downward. So strange to effectively see a new vehicle sold out more than 7 months before production is set to end! Makes me feel that it is highly likely my order will be pushed into a 2023.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-25, 10:48

I saw that. Seems so wild that these manufacturers are struggling still and yet it isn't surprising. It begins to make sense why a company like Apple wants to control EVERYTHING for their product pipelines.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-25, 11:06

Most of the car makers do own the supply companies that make parts for them, at least in part. I suspect various COVID shutdowns at production facilities, and on the raw materials procurement side are playing a big roll.

The crazy prices on used vehicles have also likely pushed a lot of people into new vehicles, that might not have. I for one had no plan to buy a new vehicle, in the past a vehicle a few years old made way more sense, since it let me skip the big depreciation hump. This time, events pushed me the other way, don’t think I’d buy a Ford without a factory warranty anyway.

Even Apple doesn’t control everything. They don’t make anything themselves for one thing, aside from the final assembly of some Mac Pros.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-03, 11:23

I'm loving the moving forward with Electric vehicles but man this truck is fugly.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-03-03, 11:29

Kinda reminds me of those Chevy SSRs from like 15-20 years ago
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-03, 11:50

Exactly what it reminds me of.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-03, 18:44

It's a KIA, did you expect it to look good? Looks like the deign team behind the Soul got told to make a truck.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-03-03, 19:27

The new Kia SUVs are actually very nice looking.

Surprised they came up with such a dud on this one.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-03, 20:20

Never been a big fan of Hyundai/KIA designs myself. The Sorento, Carnival and Telluride? Not bad looking I guess, never seen any of the current gen ones in person, so hard to judge.

The Niro, Sportage and Soul look kind of ugly, IMO.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-03, 20:22

The Stinger is badass. Some are not. Fail.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-03, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The Stinger is badass.
For those who cannot afford a real sports car? They aren't even trying anymore, it looks like every other sedan now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-04, 08:26

Sony and Honda agreed to make a car.

Guess Apple didn't get the deal with Honda.

Really though, this seems so odd to me that Computer/Electronics companies want to be in the car building business. How often do people buy cars? My youngest car right now is 16 years old with my oldest being 24 and not a classic. Is the goal really to showcase their name as rolling billboards or is there really enough profit to make it seem like a good plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comment from Toshihiro Mibe, Director, President, Representative Executive Officer and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
"The New Company will aim to stand at the forefront of innovation, evolution, and expansion of mobility around the world, by taking a broad and ambitious approach to creating value that exceeds the expectations and imagination of customers. We will do so by leveraging Honda's cutting-edge technology and know-how in relation to the environment and safety, while aligning the technological assets of both companies. Although Sony and Honda are companies that share many historical and cultural similarities, our areas of technological expertise are very different. Therefore, I believe this alliance which brings together the strengths of our two companies offers great possibilities for the future of mobility."
So we are getting a rolling Playstation/Carman?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-04, 08:41

It should come as NO surprise to you.

I mentioned it earlier upthread, I believe.

We now engage with the world through our mobile devices, and auto platforms that do not continuously support our engagement are going to lose value more quickly than those that figure out how to keep up with evolving hardware requirements. The easiest solution (there are no easy solutions) would be a way to yank the head unit of the car's brain and replace it with a newer model. Determine the dividing line between software, sensors, and hardware.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-04, 09:32

Not surprised, rumours about this vehicle have been out there for a while, but didn’t hear about the Honda connection.