User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New MacBook Pros (2010-04)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New MacBook Pros (2010-04)
Page 2 of 9 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-13, 13:20

Note that technically, L3 is worse than L2. One of the things that made the Pentium M (the ancestor of the Core and Core 2) so fast was having a relatively large amount of L2 cache.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-13, 13:27

I think it's interesting that the new 15" models start $100 higher but the 17" model is $200 cheaper! That is cool for people who want a massive notebook

I am sad that there is no MBA update, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
atoms

2010-04-13, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Almost same setup as me, was the ram upgrade just too much for you?
My current 24" iMac has 2GB and I never feel that I need more for what I do, so 4GB seems like PLENTY.

If I need more eventually, I trust I can do the upgrade in the future for a LOT less $.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-04-13, 14:36

Glossy Screen or Matte Screen?
I'm seriously looking at replacing my 5 year old Powerbook, and much to my surprise I'm thinking about getting the glossy screen because the color saturation is so much richer... and a lappy is generally easier to adjust than a desktop... right?

Anyone have anecdotal experience on this?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2010-04-13 at 14:48. Reason: formatting, schmormatting
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-04-13, 14:44

I thought I'd hate the glossy, I really did, but it's not so bad. Granted, I haven't used it in direct sunlight yet or in anywhere where reflections might suck, but I don't find myself missing matte as much as I thought I would.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-04-13, 14:52

The biggest reason I went with a matte screen on my (now last-gen) MBP is because I work with photos a lot, and oversaturation can be a problem. Calibrating the display does mostly alleviate the problem, though. It's mostly a personal preference.

For the record, the iMac I'm typing this post on doesn't bother me at all, since I don't have any sources of bright light to cause glare behind me. YMMV.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-13, 14:55

I hate my glossy screen! It is one of the biggest reasons I'm buying a new laptop. It looks oversaturated, but if you don't mind it also looks gorgeous. The glare gets old after a while.

And on an aesthetic note, the aluminum borders are much nicer.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-04-13, 15:03

I'm leaning toward matte if only for one reason: It didn't feel so bright, like looking at a freaking sun and burning your retina out.

Even when brightness is set to minimum it's too bright! I had to download a program, Shades to further reduce the brightness.

Am I only one who feel that way?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-04-13, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Note that technically, L3 is worse than L2. One of the things that made the Pentium M (the ancestor of the Core and Core 2) so fast was having a relatively large amount of L2 cache.
True, but the latency of the L3 cache on the Core i5 and i7 is very low, compared to those earlier CPUs. The new CPUs will still out perform a C2D at the same GHZ rating by 15-20%, based on the benchmarks I've seen over at Anandtech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms View Post
My current 24" iMac has 2GB and I never feel that I need more for what I do, so 4GB seems like PLENTY.

If I need more eventually, I trust I can do the upgrade in the future for a LOT less $.
You must not use any pro apps then. 4GB is what I consider to be minim requirements when buying a machine today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Even when brightness is set to minimum it's too bright! I had to download a program, Shades to further reduce the brightness.

Am I only one who feel that way?
Really? You must sit in a pitch black room all day.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-13, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Do they not understand I have money burning a hole in my pocket?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-13, 15:31

Are these "high res" screens more high res than before? I don't recall what the native resolution was on the previous models? I'm asking about 17"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-13, 15:33

I believe the current screen is the former BTO option from previous generations.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-13, 15:39

Wow, I didn't realize they had BTO screens before... how much were they prior? Does MacTracker have any of this info?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-13, 15:43

Nope, I was wrong, same resolution as the last generation. Two generations ago 1920x1200 was a BTO option.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-13, 16:12

Quote:
And coming up: a mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, rumored to pass audio through as well (presumably only for the newest models).
Confirmed.

Quote:
Apple confirmed to Ars that the just-updated MacBook Pros will pass both video and audio signals to an HDTV or receiver when using an miniDP to HDMI adapter.
noleli2

2010-04-13, 16:16

MacRumors is saying there's inertial scrolling on the new MBPs. I'd like to think that's something that can be added to the older mulitouch trackpads in scrolling?
NateEssex

2010-04-13, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Glossy Screen or Matte Screen?
I'm seriously looking at replacing my 5 year old Powerbook, and much to my surprise I'm thinking about getting the glossy screen because the color saturation is so much richer... and a lappy is generally easier to adjust than a desktop... right?

Anyone have anecdotal experience on this?

I switched to glossy 3 years ago and haven't regretted it . I love the vividness of the video & games.
NateEssex

2010-04-13, 16:25

Can anyone comment on the quality of the video cards in regards to online gaming? I'll run it in Bootcamp and want to know if the 320M can play the newer MMORPGs.

Thanks!
chucker

2010-04-13, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
MacRumors is saying there's inertial scrolling on the new MBPs. I'd like to think that's something that can be added to the older mulitouch trackpads in scrolling?
The controller in MacBooks with gesture-enabled trackpads is the same as in the iPhone, so yes, this should be possible to allow in software. Wouldn't be the first time they add a trackpad feature to others. (IIRC: for example, the MacBook introduced two-finger click; the MacBook Pro then got it in 10.4.7.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-13, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of the video cards in regards to online gaming? I'll run it in Bootcamp and want to know if the 320M can play the newer MMORPGs.

Thanks!
The 320M is a newish GPU, but it is still an entry level video card, not something to be used for any heavy duty gaming to be sure.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-04-13, 17:30

Quote:
With Nehalem's faster access to main memory, isn't there less of a need for large amounts of expensive L2 cache?

The updates look okay to me. Some of the battery-life improvements come from increased battery capacities (58 to 63.5 watt-hours (+9%) in the 13-inch model; 73 to 77.5 watt-hours (+6%) in the 15-inch model; unchanged at 95 watt-hours for the 17-inch model).

The 13-inch model doesn't get much of a CPU upgrade, but the new graphics and better power efficiency are surely significant. The 15-inch model with the high-res screen option looks great, though pricey.

In fact, the UK prices are now really high. The 13-inch model went from £899 to £999; the cheapest 15-inch model went from £1299 to £1,499 (albeit with far faster graphics), and even the 17-inch model went from £1849 to £1899. Meanwhile Windows-based laptops have continued to fall in price.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2010-04-13, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post

Thanks!
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.28701.0.html
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-04-13, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
In fact, the UK prices are now really high.
WHOA, I just checked out the Australian prices. Pretty sure the base model was $2099 before (someone please correct me)??? Around the $2k mark anyway... It's now $1499!!!!!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-13, 17:57

Quote:
In fact, the UK prices are now really high. The 13-inch model went from £899 to £999
That's unfortunate. They really should have gone the other way, to £799. The higher-end 13-incher should be £999. And the MacBook should be £666.
CFP

2010-04-13, 18:43

Quote:
In fact, the UK prices are now really high.
I'm most definitely underwhelmed about today's update for the 13" MBP. I've been surviving using other people's laptops and my mobile phone since January. Now I'm thinking I should have just bought a refurb all along and saved the wait. It seems the only significant improvement on this revision is the graphics chip which I'm not sure is all that relevant to me (I never use my laptop for gaming). Oh, and the battery of course. But the rest, like the extra memory and HDD space, I could have added myself with the money saved from a refurb.

I don't know why, but I thought there would be some new design features in the form at least.

And the price has increased too.

Hmmm... maybe I should just buy the previous revision from the refurb store... Does anyone think the improved graphics will make much of a difference for a non-gamer on a day to day basis?

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-04-13, 19:08

I think if the difference is greater than $250 or so, you might be better buying a refurb.
Those few extras you mentioned are nice, but not killer features.

You'd think after such a long delay, Apple could have thrown in some goodies like USB 3.0, BTO Blu-Ray, matte display for 13", or lowered the prices by $100.

Of course, they need not do any of this, and given these are no longer their top revenue generators, they might as well make it up in higher margins. Somehow it just seems like all the innovation coming out of Apple is coming from their iPad/iPhone divisions.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-13, 19:27

Well, I just bit the bullet and bought a 17" MBP for school this fall. I hope it lasts for the next couple years - I'm sure it will. And with more multithreaded applications on the horizon (hopefully, fingers crossed) I'll be able to enjoy the perks of a dual core dual thread CPU.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2010-04-13, 19:44

Quote:
I agree, Roboman. I would have been much more excited about an update to the MacBook Air and white MacBook! With that said, next time I'm traveling, I'm sure I'll be glad to have a 1.5 lbs iPad, rather than a 5+ lbs MB or MBP.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-04-13, 19:44

Quote:
That's unfortunate. They really should have gone the other way, to £799. The higher-end 13-incher should be £999. And the MacBook should be £666.
Why? They should give them away for free.

The GBP is not doing well, so it's just reflecting the exchange rate. Similarly the AUD is doing great, hence the huge price drop... (it may have only been $400, I'm not certain what it was before.... Still massive though)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-13, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Why? They should give them away for free.

The GBP is not doing well, so it's just reflecting the exchange rate. Similarly the AUD is doing great, hence the huge price drop... (it may have only been $400, I'm not certain what it was before.... Still massive though)
QFT.