AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

AirPod Pros won't go into Transparency mode

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPod Pros won't go into Transparency mode
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-07, 21:48

My son's AirPods Pros won't go into transparency mode. It plays the tone as though it does, but we get none of the high tones through. In fact, noice cancellation and transparency mode sound mostly the same. Noise cancellation does cancel low tones.

So to test it I used a consistent noise in the background and paired his AirPods to my phone. I then was able to switch from my AirPods to his to compare. I logged into Fallout 76 and jumped into my hot tub. This creates a consistent bubbling noise from the tub with lows and highs.

My AirPods block almost all of the hot tub noise in cancellation mode and play them clearly in transparency.

My son's on the other hand just muffle the sound with the hot tub losing the low rumble in cancellation and just being generally "muted" in transparency. If I switch to "Off" in control panel it lets the echoing and head noises in so off works.

We have tried to remove from account, add to accounts. Reset by dancing on our heads while holding the pair button until the light turns amber. Nothing seems to change it. His AirPods are on the same firmware as mine. By putting it on my device I removed any variation from his beta running iPad.

Any ideas? It is way to old for AppleCare so any cost would likely be out of pocket. They really aren't right. Oddly, it is both, at the same time. Not like one AirPod failed and the other responds right. So I'm inclined to think there is something more to be done.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-01-08, 01:16

What device is he using the Airpods on? Some devices do not support transparency. Another possibility, the microphones used for transparency have either failed, or are filled with junk so they don't work?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-08, 13:27

My son has a previous generation iPad and I tested with my mini 13 so I know that isn't the problem.

He cleaned them following the Apple guidance... I wonder how much we can get away with. Ultrasonic cleaner with 90% alcohol maybe? I'd just be concerned that the bath would hurt them more than clean them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-08, 16:29

So my son just let me know he tested conversation boost and it worked just fine. When it was quiet in the upstairs he was able to hear the dishwasher clearly.

Then a little later he was talking to his sister and he could hear her loudly. She sounded like she was in a can, but was otherwise "loud" compared to no conversation boost. This makes it seem like the mics are fine.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-10, 10:29

Ken, where are you?
fincel

2023-01-12, 01:46

Hotstar is an application for Android phones, but due to many reasons, people may not be able to download it. Get to know about hotstar download for pc here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-24, 21:43

Help me Ken Kenobi, you're my only hope...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-01-25, 06:05

Well dang it, is Ken on vacation?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-01-25, 10:29

In Toledo, I heard.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-01-25, 10:45

He was kidnapped by Musk, in Toledo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 10:57

Yeah. I saw he posted somewhere that he had a bunch of crap happening at work...

For me I know I need to schedule and appointment with the GB to let them test my son's AirPods but I was hoping Ken's connections would know something to test that I could do before having to go to an Apple Store. They aren't that convenient for me anymore.

thomasfrank

2023-02-17, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Yeah. I saw he posted somewhere that he had a bunch of crap happening at work... build now gg

For me I know I need to schedule and appointment with the GB to let them test my son's AirPods but I was hoping Ken's connections would know something to test that I could do before having to go to an Apple Store. They aren't that convenient for me anymore.
And where exactly is Ken now? If you can't contact him, let's go to Apple Store as soon as possible.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-17, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfrank View Post
And where exactly is Ken now? If you can't contact him, let's go to Apple Store as soon as possible.
Thank you for bringing this back to my attention. I really need to get my son's AirPods situation resolved for him.

Ken, please clean up this spammer quote of me where he added spam. Then ban him.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-02-17, 10:48

Given the nature of AirPods, my guess is they are bound for the junk heap, or just live without the feature. Even a single drop can mess up these wireless pod headphones. I killed a few sets of cheaper ones just dropping them in the grass.

If you could force a firmware reinstall that might fix it, but I don’t know how.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-31, 12:20

Yesterday we took the AirPods into the local Apple Store for a GB appointment. Even though they are way out of warranty, the Genius replaced both AirPods because they failed the "audio testing". We were very happy.

It was a great chance for me to let me son do the talking all on his own. I only had to step in a few times, other than having to sign the documents as the adult.