User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 37 of 49 First Previous 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-07, 23:46

Aha! I forgot that I use The Unarchiver as a replace-all for the built-in Archive Utility. Indeed, Archive Utility "detects" that level.dat itself is actually zipped and does the "helpful" thing and expands it too. Bad Archive Utility. Bad!

I've replaced the link with another zip that should be okay to use with Archive Utility.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-08, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Trimmed map!

Also, I saw you scheming bobsky. Execute on that plan and the ranch is the next chunk to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
What's bobsky up to?
What me, scheme? Psh.

All I am doing is digging dirt....

As for opening the level.dat file: I used Stuffit Expanded v. 8 years ago. bleh. It still works, but is horrible.

Oh two things: world is identical to untouched original world right down to cave entrances being the same and that odd dirt bridge to mushroom mtn.

2) slimes can climb ladders (at the very least fully encircled ladders), and open doors that are toggled by a floor plate. They are also relentless in their pursuit of you. Turtle and I discovered this the hard way as a slime emerged from his grinder, climbed the ladder up, walked through a door and started attacking him as he waited by his old water traps delivery point. It followed us down two halls, but got trapped behind a door. There is no stopping them. Communal trap bottom may need to be slime proofed...

¡Damned!

2011-03-08, 18:11

Spec, I'm running a few lengths of skyway to connect to the temple/UFO area a little better and wondered about running something North to you while I'm at it. Something like this, though the strip to your place may be moved right a bit (possibly over the altar):

The west leg there I'm not sure of yet. It may connect into the skyway where it branches off diagonally to the temple.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-08, 18:27

Curves? In the Skyway? It's not natural!

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-08, 18:40

Well, you're welcome to run it if you want, but I wasn't planning on going back up there anymore. (I was expecting it to have been purged already, honestly.) If the area is going to be sticking around for the long term, though, anyone who wants it is welcome to it.

¡Damned!

2011-03-08, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Well, you're welcome to run it if you want, but I wasn't planning on going back up there anymore. (I was expecting it to have been purged already, honestly.) If the area is going to be sticking around for the long term, though, anyone who wants it is welcome to it.
No, I'll skip it then. If you're not up there there's no point really (plus a waste of resources and time). Why are you giving it up if you don't mind me asking? It's certainly a cool spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Curves? In the Skyway? It's not natural!
But it's perfect for UFO viewing.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-08, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Well, you're welcome to run it if you want, but I wasn't planning on going back up there anymore. (I was expecting it to have been purged already, honestly.)
If you're truly done with it, give the word and I'll torch that region of the map. To where have you relocated?

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-08, 22:42

Quote:
If you're truly done with it, give the word and I'll torch that region of the map. To where have you relocated?
I'm just sticking with Mob Hill for now. Maybe I'll find something else in the local area at some point, but I'm going to work on my old place for the time being. Just make sure you don't accidentally kill the north end of 709's tunnel in the purge (unless he's cool with it, of course).

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-09, 16:24

Yesterday I found the source of all I need out here in no man's land.

Spider spawner in the distance and Skeleton spawner up close. 6 buckets of water and 3 lava to feed one grinder for both traps. The yield is pretty good actually. Now to make the entrance a little more appealing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-10, 00:07

Quote:
FYI, Brad, I've set up in a temporary spot to the east (inside unexplored region to right) of Spec's northern expansion in order to mine sand/sandstone for the rink. I think I should be safe, but please don't nuke me.

I should hopefully be out of there after this weekend. Naturally occurring sandstone is a big plus.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

¡Damned!

2011-03-10, 11:47

Brad, you mind if I run up there as well? Maybe to the west of Spec's old place? I'm in need of sand/sandstone half-slabs but don't want to expand the world without knowing for sure it's going to be nuked.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-10, 12:02

Go for it! I'll hold any meta-chunk deletes until tomorrow.

¡Damned!

2011-03-10, 12:28

Awesome. Thanks.

¡Damned!

2011-03-12, 00:18

Brad - I'm still up there (my body is anyways) but have to leave for a sec.

I'll give you a shout when out. Thanks for the extension.

Thing that pissed me off most is that there's so much pine up here. Had to start a fire just to clear the view.

So it goes.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-12, 03:22

You...you...cleared pine away? D: I still need tons of it.

¡Damned!

2011-03-12, 14:05

No, just screwing with you.

For the amount you need (thousands?) my guess is you're going to have to wait for seedlings. :/

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-03-12, 14:14

Quote:
Go for it! I'll hold any meta-chunk deletes until tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Brad - I'm still up there (my body is anyways) but have to leave for a sec.

I'll give you a shout when out. Thanks for the extension.

Thing that pissed me off most is that there's so much pine up here. Had to start a fire just to clear the view.

I'm still there (slightly east) too. I'm halfway through my goal of 2 chests each of sand and sandstone. I'll also be doing some clay and birch collection along the route that I'll need to take to transport all my materials back to the staging area by the strip mine.

censeo tentatio victum

¡Damned!

2011-03-12, 14:26

Sandstone is a huge pain, no?

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-03-12, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Sandstone is a huge pain, no?
Yeah, I wish it would be in uniform layers like sand rather than the random 3-4 deep pockets. It makes mining it a PITA and when the reappearing blocks happen, dear god....

2 chests of sand and 1 sandstone down.

I chest of stone to go, if I feel like toughing it out.

It would be an awesome feature to import materials gathered on single player into the SMP in order to cut down on map exploration and spots on the server (now down to 7) being tied up for hours at a time for just material harvesting.

censeo tentatio victum

dmoss123

2011-03-12, 18:04

Hey I'm Kraetos' friend.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-12, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss123 View Post
Hey I'm Kraetos' friend.
Well, I guess technically that counts as an introduction.

¡Damned!

2011-03-12, 22:06

I'm done up there, so when Elysium gives the all clear you can nuke it. There's plenty more sandstone, but I just got tired of the trek back and forth.

So it goes.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-03-13, 04:47

I've wrapped up my activities to the north of strip mine and have transported all goods back to base.

Feel free to nuke, Brad.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-15, 01:48

Well, that didn't go quite as well as expected.

We were scouting for a site for the new passive mob trap. No sooner had I said the words "controlled burn" than someone broke out the lighter:

Firefighting was somewhat hampered by the total darkness and inordinate number of creepers, skellys and zombies... Several brave firefighters died... Less brave ones logged out a couple of times to avoid converging multi-creepers.

Finally, after some minor skyway damage, a solution was found:

This really was the only solution. I was cutting firebreaks as fast as I could but the fire was faster. Anyway, if anone notices a big empty patch where there used to be woods, that'll be the issue...

Sorry....

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-15, 02:05

Ah, but what a beautiful plain upon which to build our communal passive mob trap....

I didn't die from injuries incurred in that photo, but rather, due to a successful attempt to jump onto a burning tree from the skywalk via a disappearing waterfall. My last moments were seeing the burning tree being put out by the water I had just deposited on its top. I believe it may have been the last tree to go out.

Also: Mea culpa -- when a lighter is at the ready and someone says burn, I'm like, ok.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-15, 02:25

Sorry I missed it, LOL!

¡Damned!

2011-03-15, 03:10

Once I burned alive the first time, I was a bit more "well, fuck it then" the subsequent times - taking a bit more chance to put the fires out. All's good. Nothing a little bonemeal around the edges won't sooth.

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-15, 07:09

That's what y'all were doing! I wasn't really watching what was going on last night. Man I wish I had because I would have joined you guys!

Instead I did complete my project I was working on. Nothing major, but something Mrs T and I wanted.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-15, 18:43

Hope no one was still camping out in the massive southern expansion because it just got pruned! Also, I finally got around to pruning the desert area to the north that SpecMode, Elysium, and 709 were mining last week.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-15, 19:05

I'm not out South, but, theoretically, if I was, what would happen?