Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Halloween 2021...anything?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Halloween 2021...anything?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 14:32

Starting around 6ish, I'm going to hand out candy until dark (7:30-8:00), then shut off the porch/driveway lights and watch movies* (and the final 1-2 innings of the World Series, on the off-chance the Braves manage to win three straight in Atlanta and win the thing...they won't, though; they'll play an awful game, forcing a game 6/7 back in Houston). I know how this shit works...networks, advertisers and MLB aren't about to "allow" a 4-5 game World Series.

But you couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in Atlanta tonight...between a potential World Series championship (or, worse, the failure to clinch one) + Halloween, that city is probably going to go absolutely bonkers within the next 7-8 hours. No thanks. Glad I'm 120 miles up the road!

Stay safe, drew. The Cap'n might want to keep his butt at home (or nearby, anyway) this go-around. Just seems like a perfect storm of "uh-oh" tonight. Is it a full moon too, by chance?

I know another AN'er, Ryan, is in Vegas to see Lady Gaga's final jazz show.

What's everyone else here doing tonight, Halloween-related? Or did you get any parties/debauchery out of your systems last night, since it was a Saturday?

I typically don't get many trick-or-treaters, but I always have a bag of Kit-Kats or Butterfingers, just in case. In the era of COVID, is trick-or-treating even a thing, I wonder? I can't recall what things were like last year.

It won't surprise me if things stay quiet tonight. There are two families on this side street next to me and we kinda know each other. I expect them to show up early, between 6-7 (before nightfall) with their small kids all costumed up. I'll load their kids up, but I'm betting that's gonna be about it this year.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-31 at 14:43.
¡Damned!

2021-10-31, 20:15

Had to forego the candy-passing this year as we've been dog-sitting my Mum's little beast for a couple of weeks and had to drop her back off tonight. Kinda bad timing coming back into town as we rolled in smack in the middle of treating, so we decided to hide out for the remaining hour at our favorite Italian dive drinking black beers and ordering some pasta to go.

Our neighborhood is hit-or-miss with the treaters anyways, so I didn't feel horrible about it.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 20:17

I had the lights on, candy ready, for two-and-a-half hours. Not one person came. Oh well. I got little Kit-Kats now.
¡Damned!

2021-10-31, 20:42

Yeah, that's happened here a few times over the last 10 years here too. Don't know exactly what it is - too close to 'active' city life is my guess, just too much traffic and goings-on to be safe for young kids walking around. Our all time high was maybe two dozen.

A weird highlight of my night tonight was my mother handing me a set of wax teeth (vampire fangs and red-lipped variety) and saying how much she remembered me loving those. Swear to god I haven't been able to find those fucking things for the last decade. They changed the flavor some 20 years ago so they're not exactly the same, but man, as a kid they were my jam. All the lips and all the flavors (well, very slight variations on a single, waxy flavor), I just loved them and would horde as many as I could to last me as long as I could.

I swallowed them too, against recommendations, and would delight in seeing a pink or baby blue undigested chunk in my childhood shit.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 21:04

I think a huge part of it is kids - every one I know (my niece and nephew, the kids of any woman I've dated the past 15+ years, the kids of my friends and co-workers, etc.). - tend to get candy (and toys) all the damn time. It's just not that novel or special to so many now.

When I was a kid in the 70's, it was a treat. It was special. Our parents, and those of everyone I knew, weren't buying candy bars, sweets, gum, treats, snack cakes, etc. every single time they went to the grocery store.

And let's be honest...if I had my own little connected phone in my pocket in 1977, with all the games, titties, funny memes, social media/talking with my friends 24/7, etc. I could stand, I probably wouldn't want to go slogging around in the cold night air for shit that was already in my kitchen either!

Toss in COVID (and the reluctance of many to have close contact with strangers for hours) and this year falling on a school night...I'm really not surprised nobody showed up. I saw no crowds in the big subdivision across the street from me, which, in years past, has been a complete zoo and trick-or-treater Coachella.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-31 at 21:37.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-31, 21:37

I had to help work a big Zoom webinar tonight. By the time I got home the neighborhood was dead, so to speak.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 21:43

Yeah, super low-key/quiet this go-around, it sounds like. I've checked in with friends in KC, Arizona, Washington, Virginia and the Carolinas tonight and they've all said about the same. Hmm. Half of them did absolutely nothing, and their kids didn't even want to go out (kinda supporting my analysis above).

"It's cold and we got plenty of candy here!"

Which is kinda unfortunate because kids costumes these days are pretty awesome. I saw a Batman one at Target a few weeks ago that I would've killed for when I was 10! All sculpted and cool-looking (wondering if maybe it was the one from the upcoming movie...I don't know).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-31, 22:50

We spent part of the afternoon building a device to shoot the candy bags out through our mail slot using some PVC pipe. Worked really well, and we never had to open our screen door. The kids loved seeing the candy shoot out the pipe. Just over 100 came tonight, so about average for a pre-COVID year. Vaccination rate here is high, and most people don't seem too worried with boosters coming soon for the vulnerable.

Ourside the firecracker/fireworks war started around 7:45PM, and when I say war I mean it, not a moment of silence since it began. If it's anything like a normal year it won't stop till after midnight. Never a quiet Halloween around here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 23:18

Wow! That’s more like how things were here, 2-4 years ago.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-01, 16:00

Lady Gaga killed, of course. All but three songs were from the Great American Songbook. Her backing musicians honestly stole the show, especially her trumpet player Brian Newman. He is one hell of a musician and his trumpet solos were phenomenal.

He hosts an aftershow in a much much smaller venue (under 100, compared to 5000+ for Gaga). Sort of a musical variety show with some of the musicians from Lady Gaga and others from various acts around town. Didn't even get going till midnight and when I left at 2am they showed no signs of stopping any time soon.

That aftershow was definitely a time warp. A trumpet player/singer host in a white tux running all over the venue, jumping on tables, cracking jokes all with a drink in hand while flanked by go-go girls in feather outfits. Felt like how I imagine Frank Sinatra would've been back in the Vegas heyday.

Plus my costume of random pirate and steampunk stuff I grabbed at one of those temporary Halloween stores got a lot of compliments.

murbot
Hoonigan

2021-11-03, 17:30

We have such a hard time guessing how many kids will come, it seems to go up and down like a whore's pants as my grandma used to say.

A couple years ago we had 200+ and I had to make a run to WalMart to reload... still ran out and killed the lights shortly after that. Kinda the same last year. This year we loaded right up and had maybe 115-120. LOTS of treats for lunches, etc in the house! Might even run these chips down to the food bank or something. No way we can (or want to) eat like 90 bags of chips
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-04, 09:40

We had no one come by our place. We didn't last year either though. I guess people in the sticks don't go door to door.

The church around here all do "trunk or treat" though so you can do a drive-thru bag filling for the kids around here. I'm sure the suburb neighborhoods have people walking the streets though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.