iOS and iPadOS 15

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS and iPadOS 15
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-18, 00:48

Yes, the iPod Touch is still a thing, believe it or not. You have to search for it, I couldn't find it via any links on the store home page, but it is still for sale. I guess it was updated a while ago, it has an A10 chip.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:28

The iPod touch is only "a thing" because it still "exists". We haven't sold one in over a year, took them off the display table 6 months ago, and look cross-eyed at anyone who asks about them, which happens once every … hmmmm

The 7th-gen iPod nano was the last truly great iPod. I have one in my truck; it holds everything I care to listen to; and I wish Apple still made them exactly like that! Best iPod Apple ever made, and the silly things could now have 256GB for $199, no problem, and even include WiFi and an Apple Music app so Apple could sell subscriptions to people who just want a music player.

All I want is a darned music player that stays in the truck, and when the Nano dies Apple doesn't offer any kind of replacement, which equals a lost sales opportunity. So, I'll keep my eyes open for a used iPhone (or Touch, dare I say) to take over the role of playing freaking music!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-18, 12:32

I think any touch-screen iPod is heresy, including the 6th and 7th generation nano. That said, it doesn't really matter what Apple does with them; they're for almost nobody now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 12:35

It was last updated in March of 2019, so yeah...well over two-and-a-half years ago. I can't find it on Apple's site either. Before that slight website tweak (I think it came after the store went back up after those new MacBook Pros were announced), it was gone. It was always in the Music section. But now I can't even find that.

If it's available for sale, by Apple (on their website), they're making you work for it!

EDIT: I found it, but only by click the little magnifying glass and doing a search for "iPod touch". It's not in any of the little section headers (Store, AirPods, iPhone, TV & Home, Only On Apple, accessories, nowhere in any of the music-oriented categories, etc.). As I said, they make you go looking for it.

Its URL is basically apple.com/ipod-touch, so it's not part of any other parent(?) grouping or system (apple.com/music/ipod-touch or whatever). So unless you just took a chance and typed it following "apple.com/" (and included the hyphen) nobody could blame you for thinking it was a goner.

I mean, why even bother at that point? If you're not going to offer it easily seen/found (especially this time of year when people are looking for gifts), then just yank it outright and be done. Keeping it, but burying/hiding it, seems a little silly.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
If they sold a modern (A14, or possibly even A13) iPod touch with SE-esque specs/features elsewhere (camera, TouchID, 64GB storage), I'd give serious thought to ditching the iPhone completely and just having a wifi-based device as my daily thing. I'm surrounded by wifi everywhere I go these days. The only time I'm not on wifi is when I'm in the car, driving...and I don't use/look at my phone there anyway, and haven't for years. I've had that DND while driving on since the day it existed, so everyone knows if they can't ever reach me that I'm either in the shower or driving...and it's never been an issue ); it's no different than my life was before 2004 when I got my first cell phone...sometimes I'm just not reachable, deal with it). I could easily go back to that and just be reachable via my AppleID on Messages, FaceTime, Mail while on Wifi. Isn't much different than my life now, actually. Making cellular calls and using cellular/LTE for data are the two things I do least on my iPhone, so I know I could give them both up. But I can't throw in with an A10, no-TouchID thing, so... But should they ever resurrect the iPod touch for 2022 and beyond, then yeah...I'd be looking very hard at making that switch. I don't think I'd miss a beat. I'd love to not pay AT&T a monthly bill.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-18 at 13:13.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
If it's available for sale, by Apple (on their website), they're making you work for it!
No harder than you had to work for that video service thing you teased me about.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-18, 12:42

Quote:
I mean, why even bother at that point? If you're not going to offer it easily seen/found (especially this time of year), then just yank it outright and be done. Keeping it, but burying/hiding it, seems a little silly.
Supposedly, there's still business customers who want something like an iPhone but without cellular networking.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Supposedly, there's still business customers who want something like an iPhone but without cellular networking.
Supposedly, there's still all kinds of customers who want something like an iPod but without any of the other crap!

FYI: If the Nano still existed at $99 we would sell them like hotcakes! Apple didn't get rid of it because it didn't sell, they got rid of it because it didn't do the App Store, which cut off the revenue source of selling in-app crap to oblivious little kids and hyper-addicted fart-game and social media folks. A great music player took a back seat to the in-app trap!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

2021-11-18, 12:50

Maybe. I think you're underestimating just how far gone the entire product category of music players is.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:56

Oh, I know. BUT! We actually get a lot of requests for "just a music player", mostly from people who have older iPods Classic that are on their way out.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 13:20

Quote:
I understand. I bet there are some regular civilians who do as well.

Whatever the case, make it available. They don't have to put it on the homepage or make a big fuss about it, but it could be a small little section of the iPhone or Music section, right? Why the treasure hunt?

It would be like a grocery store putting a certain brand of soup or spaghetti sauce in its rear storeroom, up on a tall shelf, behind some other shelves, making anyone looking for it go through hoops. Either put it out with the other soup or spaghetti sauce you sell, or don't carry it. But don't make it a pain-in-the-ass hunting expedition.

To be clear: I'm not championing the iPod touch and saying "it must remain in the lineup!". If its time - like the Classic, nano and shuffle - has come and gone, fine. I'm simply saying if they're going to still offer it for sale, then at least make it where interested buyers can find it in the logical place(s). Apple is the one being goofy/weird here, not me.

They might accidentally sell a few - especially this time of year - if people could just find them. I think the concept is awesome...an iPhone minus the phone/cellular part. Just a modern wifi-based device that probably has more use now than it did 10 years ago, just due to so many places (stores, restaurants, pubs, offices, etc.) now having wifi. It may have been too ahead of its time? The places it could be used 10-12 years ago just weren't as many as now. I almost think a revamped, affordable wifi-only device could be a strong seller for people with younger kids, seniors and anyone not wanting a monthly wireless bill. But that may be the very rub...it may be seen as a profit-eater.

Quote:
We can't make anything when you sell these 'iPhones without a phone', Apple! You're not doing us any favors...just stick to the iPhone, please?

Sincerely,
All the Wireless Companies in the World

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-18 at 13:58.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 13:35

I think they just want it to go away "quietly". A public discontinuation would sound like "The iPod fay-alled! See, we told you so." Whereas it just slowly disappearing from the public consciousness will get no negative media attention.

chucker

2021-11-18, 13:52

Less space than a Nomad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 14:00

I love that I got Zune tattooed across my ribcage! No regrets whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I think they just want it to go away "quietly". A public discontinuation would sound like "The iPod fay-alled! See, we told you so." Whereas it just slowly disappearing from the public consciousness will get no negative media attention.
They've officially announced the discontinuation of numerous products over the years and nothing bad happened. Besides, all the other things that one might consider more of a traditional iPod - Classic, nano, shuffle - are already long gone and that didn't do anything to tarnish the reputation. They had their time, and things changed.

But, yeah...not giving the jackals in the press something to bite into/chew on might be their thinking.

"They can't write misinformed, horseshit Chicken Little articles and opinion pieces if they don't even know it's gone...what they don't know won't hurt 'em".

Why give the Rob Enderle types any encouragement/ideas.

"It took 20 years, but I was right...the iPod was a doomed failure, just as I said."

Shut up.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-11-18, 16:24

Quote:
We sometimes ask for them for use as "Focus remotes" for lighting consoles. They're pocketable, but run the same remote control software as an iPad for the lighting controllers that we specify. I haven't actually done it for a bit because I wasn't sure if they were still available!
benettonb1
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-12-01, 03:51

Might wait till the first point release for my phone, depending on how it goes on my iPad this week. Not a huge fan of the new Safari tabs, or how the bookmark side bar works now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-01, 11:56

Hi, benettonb1. Welcome to the forums. Are you from Toledo?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 12:40

Apologies for any premature Toledofication...

benettonb1, if you're real/legit, welcome! Sincerely.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-01, 14:10

Quote:

Oh, that's rich!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-01, 18:32

Not much chance of it, the bot copied one of my earlier posts word for word. Not even a good fake.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-01, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Not much chance of it, the bot copied one of my earlier posts word for word. Not even a good fake.
Yep, you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out.

Yet another Toledo-bot.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-02, 13:10

If you're looking for the oldies conversation, it's been snipped and tossed over here since we were already talking about it a few years ago.
benettonb1
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-12-09, 08:51

How are you all? spicemoneylogin.inb2b spicemyfiosgateway.one]myfiosgateway com

We are fine. You are banned. Good bye.

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-09 at 12:05.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 09:01

You're the worst kind of spammer. Posting phishing links.

Ken, be sure to scrub those links please.
chucker

2021-12-09, 09:12

My Fios gateway used to be Honey Smacks, but the workers are currently striking.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-09, 09:14

There once was a clown from Toledo
A bit cheesy, quite like a Dorito
Despite their best rap
We see through their crap
Come ride in this boat with me, Fredo
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-09, 09:52

That’s better than a Cheeseburger in paradise.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-09, 12:06

Quote:
There once was a clown from Toledo
A bit cheesy, quite like a Dorito
Despite their best rap
We see through their crap
Come ride in this boat with me, Fredo

Good one, Paul. It needs a bit more Dr. Seuss, but still good.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-09, 12:23

I'm only good for limericks.