Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Search before new thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Search before new thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
EmC

2006-06-01, 15:10

Don't know if it could be done easily, but here goes. I can't help but notice all of the duplicate threads around here. What if when you pressed the "Submit New Thread" button, a search was automatically performed to see if there were similar threads. Then a screen would come up similar to the "Preview Post" screen that would show you a list of topics that are similar and the previewed post.

Becuase most of us have tabbed browsing it would be easy to scan the similar threads. The list of threads would have the round radio buttons beside it so that you could select a specific thread, and you could choose to either hit "Submit New Thread" or "Post This in the Selected Thread" button.

It could be disabled for users with so many posts and so many rep points or whatever.

Does what I am saying make sense. I sometimes have a hard time writing what I am thinking. Maybe when I get home I can make a mockup. Pictures are worth a thousand words you know.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-01, 15:12

Try this.
http://forums.applenova.com/search.php
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-01, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
I fail to see how that addresses his point?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-06-01, 15:16

How would you recognise a similar thread?

You would need to perform language analysis on the content/subject, get rid of "junk words" like this, that, is, but, then, etc. Then compare the new post with Every other post (not thread!)

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-01, 15:16

Search before posting a new thread. Then there will be no duplicate threads.

It would make things easier though.
EmC

2006-06-01, 15:18

Yeah. I know it's there. I used it before starting this and the Lesbian batwoman thread (thought for sure murbot would have spotted this before me ) Unfortunately many people, especially new members, don't realize it is there. This kind of forces people to search before they start a new thread. Make it for members that have been here less than two months and less than say 5 new threads.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 15:22

I would like a mandatory search myself...

I wonder maybe it'd be easier to implement if we just let them make a new thread, but when they hit the create a new thread, Vb returns a list of threads in similar fashion that you see at bottom of every existing threads and ask the user if they would like to merge with those thread...
EmC

2006-06-01, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
How would you recognise a similar thread?

You would need to perform language analysis on the content/subject, get rid of "junk words" like this, that, is, but, then, etc. Then compare the new post with Every other post (not thread!)

Well if the Subject for the new thread was "new macbook when?" then a search on that term in other thread titles would be done and relevant threads would be shown.

EmC

2006-06-01, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I would like a mandatory search myself...

I wonder maybe it'd be easier to implement if we just let them make a new thread, but when they hit the create a new thread, Vb returns a list of threads in similar fashion that you see at bottom of every existing threads and ask the user if they would like to merge with those thread...

Something like that.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 15:26

and better yet, it's using the existing function. Just a call to this procherhure.. inserted in the button event. Should be easy.

I hope so...
RichieB

2006-06-01, 16:13

Quote:
and better yet, it's using the existing function. Just a call to this procherhure.. inserted in the button event. Should be easy.

I hope so...
What's a procherhure?

But seriously, do we wish to stifle the only freedom that one has under the Overlords(tm) here and that is to post posts? Aren't there restrictions (a.k.a. Posting Guidelines) already? Do we really wish to deprive ourselves of the utter, simple, enjoyment of making fun of duplicate threads and looking at the wonderful "lock" graphics that the Overlords(tm) here seem to use?

I fart in your general direction, EmC

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB
What's a procherhure?
A casualty of my terrific speeling.

Quote:
But seriously, do we wish to stifle the only freedom that one has under the Overlords(tm) here and that is to post posts? Aren't there restrictions (a.k.a. Posting Guidelines) already? Do we really wish to deprive ourselves of the utter, simple, enjoyment of making fun of duplicate threads and looking at the wonderful "lock" graphics that the Overlords(tm) here seem to use?
Have you looked at other boards? There are zillions of threads that could be easily merged or even avoided if someone had took time to search before starting new threads, and everytime they start a new thread, it has to be either answered with same pat answers that has been already given, or get locked and referenced.

Either isn't as good because (I am assuming that they're using database here), 1) useless threads eats away at space and may slow down the search performance, 2) it clutters up the topic view.

I'd like to keep the database clean as much as possible to get most out of it, and have threads all arranged neat and nice.

But that's just me.
RichieB

2006-06-01, 16:22

Damn. I knew I should have used the Sarcastic font in my previous post.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 16:23

Damn, I need to reinstall my sarcasm detector. Anyone got a better version of this?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-01, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB
Damn. I knew I should have used the Sarcastic font in my previous post.
You don't start a sarcastic paragraph with "but seriously"
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-06-01, 16:32

I like this idea. Mostly because I suck at searching. More than once I have preformed multiple searches, not found anything relevant, only to have somebody point me to a thread that addresses my topic.

Is this type of function even possible?

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
RichieB

2006-06-01, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
You don't start a sarcastic paragraph with "but seriously"
Just for you Chucker, I admit the following:
Quote:
Ich bin ein grosser kartofelsalat!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 16:46

I am largely..... what?

No translation or German dictionary recongize this word "kartofelsalat"....
RichieB

2006-06-01, 16:57

Quote:
I am largely..... what?

No translation or German dictionary recongize this word "kartofelsalat"....
I AM A FREAKIN' HUGE MEAT N' CHEESE N' POTATO SALAD.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-01, 17:00

^^^

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 17:01

Sounds yummy.

Bizarre, though, that no page on web could translate it...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-06-02, 00:28

You have to know which one of teh internets to use.
chucker

2006-06-02, 03:21

Quote:
Bizarre, though, that no page on web could translate it...
That might be because he didn't spell "Kartoffel" right.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-02, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
You have to know which one of teh internets to use.
When I couldn't translate the word, I did run a search in google.de to see what results I would get with this. The first hit was a recipe, which alerted me to the fact that it had to be a dish of some kind, but I couldn't translate it any better than the Babel Fish.

Here's a image search using the misspelled word... Google Bilder

Interestingly, Chucker's spelling returns as a "Potato" on Babel Fish translation. Reliable tool!
chucker

2006-06-02, 09:11

Quote:
Interestingly, Chucker's spelling returns as a "Potato" on Babel Fish translation. Reliable tool!
Um, that would be correct.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-02, 09:23

I was excepting a cheese potato or meat and potato, as that's what he said above... but I guess it doesn't work out quite same in German?
chucker

2006-06-02, 10:41

"Kartoffelsalat" is a compound word and translates to "potato salad".

The correct phrasing is:
"Ich bin ein großer Kartoffelsalat!"

Using 'ss' in lieu of 'ß' is okay and something I often do as well, but in Germany and Austria, it's considered incorrect (not so in Switzerland).

The 'K' must be upper case because it's a noun; all nouns are upper case in German.

The phrase translates to "I'm a big potato salad!" and makes about as much sense as you can imagine.
chucker

2006-06-02, 10:42

Quote:
Here's a image search using the misspelled word... Google Bilder
Actually, you spelt it right in that query. The misspelling was the single 'f'.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-06-02, 11:06

I like this idea, but most new posters don't have a clue about what makes a meaningful thread title. Even a good program couldn't accurately search if "zomgwtf111!!! help me dudz!" was the thread title asking about help transferring bookmarks from one browser to another.

I do like the idea of forcing a search screen before taking the user to the thread creation page.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-02, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
(...)

I do like the idea of forcing a search screen before taking the user to the thread creation page.
That would be an excellent standard feature.