User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 159 of 221 First Previous 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163  Next Last Thread Tools
Anonymous Coward

2021-11-09, 17:53

Fortunately, catastrophic failure of a single component (in peacetime conditions) is not likely to cause the loss of a submarine. At least, that is my opinion, having spent over 10 years on them. Submarine designers must be very confident because today's boats are less compartmentalized than the earlier designs.

That does not lessen the gravity of her actions, though. Although it happens much too often, the military generally tries to make it such that a single point of failure will not have disastrous consequences. This is so serious, though, because it attacks the root of a system which is supposed to guarantee, as much as possible, that these failures do not occur, and one can only hope that this is a singular occurrence.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-09, 18:13

Irregardless the possibility of failure, this person's traitorous actions should be treated as such. Our front-line defenses must stand against the very best efforts of a potential enemy, and this kind of foolishness could lead to the loss of billions of dollars worth of hardware, and hundreds — if not thousands — of lives.

This woman is a coward willing to stand behind the sacrifice of her own children in order to make a little money.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-11, 09:29

Syfy is just mad they didn’t think of this, denying us all an awesome Sharkobra (Great White Diamondback? MakoMamba?) flick or three.

ViperShark vs. MantaPus…don’t even act like you wouldn’t watch it.

To be clear, the venom is secreted by their fins and not via a bite (which, face it, would’ve been 10x cooler).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-11, 10:22

Good grief.

Nothing says "I'm a perv on a budget" quite like rubber bands.

I take it the $479 Hermès Ankle Band: CooterScope™ Edition was never going to be an option for gramps here.

Quote:
SINGAPORE — A man who tied a phone to his ankle with a rubber band in order to film up the skirt of a female colleague was jailed for 18 weeks' on Wednesday (10 November).
Not weird/desperate at all.

Quote:
On 24 September last year, the victim lodged a police report stating that the man had taken an upskirt video of her. She made the report as she felt something was wrong with his behaviour.
Always sticking his feet underneath you, in your personal space, will do that. She didn't notice the phone strapped to his ankle those first 10-12 times?!?

Miss Observant.

On a separate note, I guess I should take some sort of comfort in knowing the wheels of justice turn as slowly in other places as they seem to here. She filed a report well over a year ago and he's just now going to jail. Take your time, fellas...no hurry.

This is in Singapore...the man is lucky they didn't cane the shit out of him. I remember they (finally) gave that American teenager twat a few lashes for theft/vandalism years ago. If they'll cane a (deserving) foreigner, I'm sure they'd love nothing more than beating on one of their own.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-11 at 10:40.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-11, 10:45

Chances are they’ll beat him in prison.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-11, 12:03

Yeah, well, our people can be as stupid as your people!

Hey, Coolaid!

I'm gonna put up some metal rails along my fence. That should fix the problem.

But, I'll probably get sued. So maybe I'll just keep a rabid dog in the yard?

No, that'll get me sued, too.

Feed them some birdshot? That's always an option.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I can do without getting sued is call the police and wait for them to not call me back.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-11, 12:33

TikTok seems to be an endless fount of cuntery, with so many of their "challenges" that seem to center around screwing with/messing up the property/privacy/peace of others. I'd hold these little pisspots - and their oblivious, useless parents - accountable for every dime of repair to my fence. And then I'd squeeze another $500 (I know some people ) or so from them just for a PITA fee/compensation.

Yeah, I'm "old"...but even in my youth it never occurred to me to destroy things of others for "fun". Maybe I was raised better than to ever think that way. What if that fence held in a beloved dog that the family truly cared about, and it got out and got hit/killed by a car? Just because some TikTards had to participate in one of their fuckwit "challenges" and knock a hole in someone's fence, trying to be funny/cute?

That's the kind of thing these jackals never think about. Their actions could go far beyond some fence repair, and completely break some family's heart because their dog(s) got loose in a way that they could've never reasonably expected. Who would ever think some moron is going to crash through their fence like this?

If you want to be an attention-whoring assbag on social media, fine...it's all the rage, apparently. But leave everyone else - and their property/presence - out of it. Destroy/damage your fence (and then do everyone a huge favor and be sure to film your dad beating your ass over it).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-11 at 12:52.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-11, 12:41

I actually think we should track down and hold accountable those who start the nonsense. The Tik-Tok "challenge" has its roots in someone, somewhere, and they should be charged for inciting violence and or menacing behavior. And believe me, they can be tracked down!

Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-11, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
And, just for giggles, I went back and read the very first 9 posts of this thread. As with all things AN, Murbot managed to send it off the rails on day 1 and I'm still laughing my ass off!
Sadly, the article in question isn’t up anymore.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-11, 19:34

Yeah, a lot of that original stuff is from 15+ years ago. The articles are gone from the Earth at this point.

The Internet can be erased.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-11, 20:51

Yeah, seeing the date stamp was a bit jarring. I vaguely remember when the thread was started, and simply refuse to believe that much time has passed since then.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-13, 20:26

Another (less tragic) incident on the set of "Rust".

'Rust' crew member hospitalized after bitten by brown recluse spider

1) Didn't think there would be anything going on at that set after the shooting.

2) Really sucks to be that guy. Losing your arm to a spider bite? Yikes.

3) Rule of threes says we're clearly going to see one more awful incident on this set.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-13, 20:48

Wow. Yeah, I had no idea production had kicked back up on this thing. All I read/heard a few weeks ago is that it had shut down (obviously) and likely wasn't coming back, or would ever get finished.

And now this. It might've happened a few weeks ago (the article says following the shooting, so anytime between three weeks ago and yesterday is possible), and we're just now learning about it?

Yeah...no way a third awful thing doesn't happen at this point.

If I'm on that crew, I turn in my notice tonight. Not sticking around, waiting for that other shoe to drop! I'd be afraid the ghost of Judge Roy Bean would show up and hang someone or something.

When cornered by TMZ morons, a visibly relieved Alec Baldwin stated "Thank God. Now maybe you jackals can go hound that fucking spider for 2-3 weeks - camp out on his doorstep 24/7 - and climb off my ass."

Okay, not really. But he should.

If/when this thing ever gets released - home video/streaming, certainly not theatrically - it'll probably enjoy a week or so of strong viewing, just the curiosity/coverage surrounding the thing. Much like a 2 Live Crew album, it'll wind up being more popular than it ever deserved/warranted, just from the negative publicity/coverage surrounding it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-13 at 21:02.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-14, 09:28

Hey, you get what you pay for!

Most folks just opt for the T-shirt.

Quote:
The members of Brass Against were just as shocked as festival goers when singer Sophia Urista peed on the face of a fan during their set at Welcome to Rockville. The band issued an apology on Twitter following the incident.

“We had a great time last night at Welcome to Rockville,” they wrote. “Sophia got carried away. That’s not something the rest of us expected, and it’s not something you’ll see again at our shows. Thanks for bringing it last night, Daytona.” In a since-deleted tweet the group added: “We’re truly sorry. Not who we are as a band.”
You kept playing as she did this, so yeah...that's exactly "who you are", as a band. The fact that you saw fit to delete this Tweet says a mouthful (no pun).

"Hey, let's not post anything we can't stick to...it might happen again tomorrow night!"

Imagine piss-boy's day-after conversation with friends...

"Dude, how was the show last night? Have a good time?"

"Oh, man...it was awesome. The singer pissed all over me!"

"Wait...what? Was this like some sort of fetish thing after you managed to hook up with her in her hotel room after the show?!"

"No, man...on stage, during the show!"

"So she was kinda that whole subversive Sex Pistols 'spit on the audience'/GG Allin 'shit on stage' thing and you just happened to be on the front row and catch the worst?"

"No, man...she said she really had to pee and asked for a volunteer to come up on stage and...".

"We can't be friends."

Quote:
After reportedly making several comments about how much she had to pee, the vocalist invited a volunteer onstage to be her human toilet. “Get my man with the can on his head ready, ’cause we’re going to bring him onstage and I’ma piss in this motherfucker’s mouth,” she declared.

“I gotta pee,” she continued. “And I can’t make it to the bathroom. So we might as well make a show out of it.” The willing participant made his way onstage, and as promised Urista dropped her pants and pissed all over his face without pausing the song.
Stay classy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-14, 13:38

Wow. I can't say I would have ever expected that to happen.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-14, 18:23

But...but...they're artists. Peeing on stuff is just part of it!

Remember that time Patsy Cline hiked her leg at the Ryman and pissed all over Roy Acuff?

No, I don't either.
Anonymous Coward

2021-11-15, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Irregardless the possibility of failure, this person's traitorous actions should be treated as such.
Personally, I believe this outrage should be reserved for those who know exactly what they are doing, such as the couple that attempted to sell military secrets.

Again, while the implications of this person's actions are not in dispute, there was no monetary or idealogical gain from this person's actions, other than the normal pay and promotions associated with her job. In this case, it was more of the person believing that they knew what the customer needed rather than giving what was asked.

So, I am now just trying to put a further perspective on the news as I read it, which may alter perceptions for the worse, or possibly better than first impressions.

The vendor in cases like these only knows that it is providing material according to military specifications and not the end use. A person in this position would only know that the Navy specified that the part be tested at -100°F and not that, perhaps, the temperature was specified so as not to reveal the pressure rating for which the part would be used. Not as an excuse but more a clue to the state of mind is that this started sometime after the press sensationalized excesses in military spending and specifications that required $600 toilet seats and $100 hammers. This person started employment in 1977, and pled guilty to falsifying test results from 1985 to 2017. I would maintain that the person had no clue as to the possible results of her actions. Irresponsible, yes, but not conspiratorial or traitorous.

I believe those who have been in the Navy know that particular branch of service is not known for leniency. However, it is interesting to note that almost every reported version of the story includes that the Justice Department stated that they would be pursuing the minimum sentence allowed for this transgression (up to 10 years and a fine of up to $1 million).

Also not clear, without reading several reported versions, is that the company was fined almost $11 million, which actually does not sound like much for over 30 years of supplying non-standard parts, with the provision that no criminal charges would be pressed if the company completed their corrective action plan within three years.

What set me off initially, when describing the Subsafe program was the wording that the company was a vendor for high yield steel, which could imply pressure hull. But if this were true, I would expect the consequences to the company and the person to be stiffer.

Just some other notes, not meaning to have anything to do with how this person should be treated, but things which might or might not be true because the articles did not provide context: This person's started when she was a lower level employee, 25 years before she was promoted to head of the department. She likely performed the actual testing before being promoted to a position to approve the test results. Some articles said that 50% of the items she was responsible for certifying failed. I would interpret that to mean that these were destructive tests, meaning that they were samples taken from a batch of castings to determine the suitability of the batch. I would expect that this testing would not be "go/no go", but would include the details of the parameters at which the components failed, allowing some analysis of whether or not the components were actually acceptable for use under the operational conditions with a safety margin.

I found 5 pages of news articles linked by Yahoo! news, and it seems that no one story included all the facts, and sometimes they were combined. For instance, this person oversaw the production of 240 batches of steel, which was a majority of the steel produced for the Navy. At the same time, half of the samples she was responsible for testing failed. But some stories reported this as 240 batches, which was half the steel supplied to the Navy. Also, some stories said that the $10.9 million was charged to her personally. This happens for almost every news story, that there is some source document somewhere, but every news agency has to pick and choose which facts they report, and put their personal interpretations, which sometimes show that the writers don't really understand what they are reporting or just want to put some spin or agenda for what they want the reader to feel.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 09:14

I guess all the equally old, past-their-prime British music icons are having a go at the Stones.

Now it's Roger Daltrey's turn!

Quote:
“You can not take away the fact that Mick Jagger is still the number one rock ‘n’ roll showman up front,” Daltrey said. “But as a band, if you were outside a pub and you heard that music coming out of a pub some night, you’d think, ‘Well, that’s a mediocre pub band!'” Daltrey added, “No disrespect.”
I love that "no disrespect" tag people always add at the end of an insult.

"The fleet just came in, and your sister couldn't be happier! No disrespect."

PS - He's right, BTW.

But The Who - the Roger and Pete Show, anyway - hasn't done anything of note in 40 years, so they're all on equal footing in my eyes. How many lying-ass "farewell" tours have The Who staged for years to gullible fans who always choose to believe such things?

Quote:
Daltrey did credit the Stones with writing “some great songs, but they are in that blues format.” As for measuring up the Beatles and the Stones, Daltrey said it’s like comparing apples and cheese. “They’re both really tasty, but the cheese does one thing and the apple does another,” he said, not specifying which band was which food in that analogy.
I agree. Two different things entirely.

To be clear, I'm a fan of all three bands and have played their songs gazillions of times over the years. But my fandom also has its limits/sell-by date and I know none of these guys are ever going to do anything better than they did 45-55(!) years ago.

I can say that every one of them should've seriously considered hanging it up a good 20 years ago. They're all a bit laughable - and just this side of pathetic - at this point, IMO. But it's kinda tough to feel bad for any of them...they've got more money than God and nobody expects anything new or meaningful from any of them at this point. They all peaked decades ago and nobody wants to hear anything any of them have done since about 1982 or so anyway.

All these old dust-pooters are getting catty/snarky in their old age, huh? I guess they're trying to "keep it young" and act like everyone on those "popular" reality shows constantly slamming each other in public.

"Is this what the young people like these days?"
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-15, 09:41

Just put on Tommy and pretend everyone involved is already dead.

I get why these old acts keep touring, there's just too much money on the table, but it's gotten rather pathetic. I think I posted this upthread but someone once told me that as a rock act, you either die young or live long enough to become your own tribute band.

I'm guilty of indulging in it too—I've been to the John Mayer/Grateful Dead show a couple times—but in general I don't understand the attraction to these shows.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 10:32

And at those prices!

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I saw McCartney in Atlanta on his Flowers in the Dirt(?) tour way back in the early 90's. Drove down with no tickets and we got face value ones from a doctor and his wife who got paged and had to leave. I guess they saw us and thought "they look like earnest fans...". Best bit of concert luck I've ever had...didn't pay one dime over what the ticket cost the good doctor. We thanked them profusely and had a great time, made even sweeter by getting two face-value tickets and finding our seats about 10 minutes before they killed the lights and he hit the stage.

Anyway, it was the first tour where he'd brought his old Hofner bass out of retirement and he was also, as Fogerty eventually did, fully acknowledging/embracing his past (as in "that little band he was in before Wings" ), so I had to try and see it. I'm glad I did. But it was also a "once and done" deal. I got to see/hear Paul McCartney play Beatle songs with that iconic instrument. It was never going to get any better than that, IMO. I was good.

Saw the Stones on their Bridges to Babylon tour in Nashville in 1997 at Vanderbilt Stadium. As neat as it was, I remember the stupid price I paid for my ticket (so I could be with friends and have a fun night out). Never again. My one and only stadium concert...no thanks. It's less a concert than a party/gathering with a band you can barely even see.

Never saw The Who.

But if I won a ticket for any of these three acts - McCartney, Stones or The Who - in a radio contest or whatever, I'd sell them (face value) to someone who I knew would enjoy it more than I ever would, and then I'd go to a steakhouse/pub and enjoy a nice dinner. That's more me these days, for better or worse.

My concert-going days are over, for a lot of reasons (most coinciding with why my multiplex-going days are also over...pricing, the behavior of others, just the overall logistics/hurry-up-and-wait aspects, etc.).

I already own all the best music that will ever be created, so I'm good. I don't fool myself into believing modern rock/pop will ever improve on what has already been done, so, between Apple Music and YouTube, I get all the music and performance entertainment I can handle.

Now...if Squeeze, Dwight Yoakam, Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello, Marty Stuart, The Pretenders, The Mavericks and/or the ghost of Tom Petty wanted to come put on a show in my backyard, for free, then yes...I'd absolutely step outside and enjoy it. But, short of that...I'm done with all this craziness. I don't need to hear some drunken asswit beside/behind me loudly "singing" every song and "woo-hooing" for two hours straight. My last few concerts, back in 2006-2007, were beyond miserable...the acts were amazing, it was all the shitheadery around me that I can no longer deal with. I said, back then, "never again". And I meant it. And from all the clips I see on YouTube, I probably made the right call...audiences are even more obnoxious and "look at/listen to me!" now. Can't do it; I'll choke someone.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-15, 14:16

At least Dead and Co tickets were pretty reasonable. $40 I think? And the venue they use here is walkable from most of town so you don't have to deal with parking and traffic.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 14:19

The Greatest Musical Artists of Our Time may be in a bit of trouble over their recent pissing-on-stage incident.

Quote:
Brass Against are dealing with the fallout from an onstage incident in which singer Sophia Urista urinated on a fan’s face at the Welcome to Rockville festival in Daytona Beach, Florida. Among the new developments is a police report that was filed concerning the episode.
Kinda shocked. I figured everyone there was "down" with it. Guess not.

Quote:
The News-Journal further reports that Florida statute 800.03 makes it unlawful to for someone to “expose his or her sexual organs in public or on the private premises of another, or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises, in a vulgar or indecent manner.

The crime of indecent exposure is punishable by up to a year in jail or a $1,000 fine.
I almost can't imagine a more idiotic, avoidable thing to go to jail for. But, hey...leave it up to the Artists of the world to find a way.

"Hey, the tired-ass crucifix-in-a-jar thing has been done already. I'ma piss in this dude's face!"

I expect a Grammy next year, guys. Maybe replicate the "incident" on live TV? It'll make Janet Jackson's titty flopping out at the Super Bowl look like an episode of Caillou.

I do believe I see a Kennedy Center Honor looming on the distant horizon. They can sit up in that box in a few years and enjoy the tributes...John Mayer pissing on Carlos Santana, Herb Alpert taking a whiz on Jewel, etc. The possibilities/combinations are endless!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-15, 14:23

Whipping out the bits on stage is nothing new, and "art" has been used as an excuse to prevent prosecution with some success.

These are adults and … whatever.

Stupid people gonna stupid.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 14:31

Yeah, everyone does it.

Jim Morrison, Wendy O. Williams and Iggy Pop. Hell, that's practically the entire damn music industry! A shame two of them are six feet under and unable to appreciate their contributions to the performing arts.

Next comes the lawsuit from (sobered-up) pissboy*, over some VD-tinged eye infection.

"Wait, I let some chick do what?!"

*I'll wager $1,500 with anyone here this happens before Christmas. And nobody here will take the bet because, deep down, they know I'll win. We haven't heard the last of this idiot, I promise you.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-11-15, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Sophia Urista
There was a clue in the name.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-15, 15:24

I used to work at a live music venue, and bands would sometimes let people up on stage to dance or whatever. After one show, I wrote a sign to put on the door to the stage… a sign I never thought I’d have to write… “If you’re going to invite your drunk friend up on stage, please ensure they keep their clothes on”.

I have no clue what sign I would’ve had to make if someone in one of the bands had tried to pee on-stage (with or without the face bucket).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
There was a clue in the name.
I noticed that the other day.

“Well, the first three letters are right there!”

Is her zodiac sign PISces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I used to work at a live music venue, and bands would sometimes let people up on stage to dance or whatever. After one show, I wrote a sign to put on the door to the stage… a sign I never thought I’d have to write… “If you’re going to invite your drunk friend up on stage, please ensure they keep their clothes on”.

I have no clue what sign I would’ve had to make if someone in one of the bands had tried to pee on-stage (with or without the face bucket).
No kidding!

“There are designated restrooms located throughout the venue. This stage isn’t one of them, screwheads.”

I like to imagine the two people in this story getting together, falling in love. 40-50 years down the road, grandkids at their feet…

“Grandpa, how did you and grandma meet?”

“Well, Urinella, a long time ago, your grandma used to sing in a band. And I loved to go listen to her! So one night at a show in Daytona, Florida…”.

There’s about two years of therapy waiting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-15 at 15:47.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-15, 15:34

Quote:
Yeah, everyone does it.

Jim Morrison, Wendy O. Williams and Iggy Pop. Hell, that's practically the entire damn music industry! A shame two of them are six feet under and unable to appreciate their contributions to the performing arts.

Next comes the lawsuit from (sobered-up) pissboy*, over some VD-tinged eye infection.

"Wait, I let some chick do what?!"

*I'll wager $1,500 with anyone here this happens before Christmas. And nobody here will take the bet because, deep down, they know I'll win. We haven't heard the last of this idiot, I promise you.
You have to remember that, for some of these clowns, there could be nothing more awe-inspiring than to have your favorite "artist" take a crap on your face.

Seriously, some people are so hung up on these "gods" that they will seriously do anything to get close to them. Being peed on by your idol is like hitting the lottery.

I won't take your bet, because money talks. But, deep down, this dude thinks he's a living sacrifice and will be honored by his clown-friends for years to come*. And you also know that that is true!

* Did I spell that right?

Quote:
“There are designated restrooms located throughout the venue. This stage isn’t one of them, screwheads.”
Stage left is for #1, stage right is for #2.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-15, 18:23

Go read "Pink Samurai" and come back to see me.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 18:43

Kinda scared to at this point.

Are they all piss-happy there too?

Am I the weird one in all this?