User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 160 of 222 First Previous 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-15, 19:02

Who doesn't want a mouthful of last night's beer?

Freak!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-15, 23:28

I'm pretty sure this is how the Fantastic Four got their super powers.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 11:10

It's getting stupid out there, folks.

Atlanta area ambulance driver kills patient in a wreck, tries to flee in Uber afterwards (how far did he truly think he'd get?)...

The kicker?

Quote:
Kevin Tirrel McCorvey, 34, of Marietta, was arrested and booked into the Fulton County Jail on multiple charges, including two counts of first-degree homicide by vehicle, felony involuntary manslaughter, reckless conduct and multiple traffic offenses, online jail records show.

At the scene, McCorvey admitted to Fairburn police officers that he had smoked marijuana, taken Adderall and was drinking a beer while driving the ambulance, according to a police report obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
That's atomic-level shitheadery, and first-degree worthlessness, there.

This isn't a debate on marijuana and prescription stuff. It is an issue of not doing those things - and drinking a damn beer - while you're on the job. In this case, a kinda important one that requires focus and competency...being an ambulance driver.

I know things are goofy now and COVID has done a real number on workplaces, the kind of people hired, staffing shortages/issues, companies desperate to fill positions, etc. But this is a little more serious than some inexperienced waitress forgetting my breadsticks, ffs. You can't just give the job of ambulance driver to any screwhead off the street.

The kind of person who'd do all those things, while on this particular job, is somewhere on that graph between evil and terminally, unfixable stupid.

Quote:
McCorvey remains in jail without bond.
So the world does make some sense every now and then.

Somebody - the idiot above, the outfit he works for, etc. - are about to get their balls sued off, into oblivion. And I wouldn't blame the plaintiffs one bit in this particular scenario. I would too.

"My dad was complaining of shortness of breath. You put him in the ambulance, fail to secure him, then proceed to wreck the ambulance because you're higher than a bat, and my dad dies as a result. He would've been better off just staying here and dealing with the shortness of breath. I will own your ass, your soul and every nickel you earn for the rest of your life, Mr. McCorvey."

You had one job, dickwit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 14:15

As a guy who was an ambulance operator (Driver/EMT) for a while I can tell you I have ZERO tolerance for any one of those things he did. He needs to fry for his actions. We are there to save a life not kill them.

He killed the patient.

I hope he gets the maximum penalty the law allows. No mercy on this. He didn't just double down, he triple downed!

At my squad we wouldn't let you work the shift if you were even just very distraught over personal stuff, let alone drinking, doing drugs.

I'm truly dumbfounded by this. I just don't get it at all. His supervisors and even attendant in charge should also be held accountable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-11-16 at 15:15.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 14:49

I agree. Someone where he worked had to have seen him and noticed that he wasn’t 100%.

But if he did all those things after his shift started and he was in the ambulance, then guess what? It’s even worse and every bit of it is on him. The court can double/triple down too.

I’d make an example of this clown, no doubt.

He did nothing right or excusable. There’s no “blurry line” or wiggle room here, sorry. I’d throw the entire bookshelf at this idiot.

I’ve honestly never heard such a story. The one person you’d think you never have to worry about driving under the influence is a damn ambulance driver.

First time I’ve heard of a thing. And certainly the first time I’ve heard of their patient in the back dying because of their actions/behavior. It wasn’t like they were doing everything right and some car ran a light and hit them.

If a loved one of mine died in such a way, I’d have to instruct my friends to tranquilize/drug me and chain me in a basement for 3-5 weeks until my anger subsided (so I couldn’t go and ruin my life as well, by killing this idiot).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-16, 14:53

He'll get 20 years and be out in 10.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 14:58

In 2021? Are you crazy? Half both numbers.

And then factor in early release, “good behavior” and the ever-popular “my son is a good boy; he sometimes thinks about teaching Sunday school and taking night courses” defense. And whatever other horseshit the “justice” system and its employees can conjure up and make happen.

Try “sentenced to six, out in two”.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-16, 15:01

I agree. But, the point I was making is that his sentence will be much lighter than us armchair-legal-eagles would like.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 15:08

When are they not? You gotta do something really bad to get the book flung your way. And even then there’s no guarantee.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 15:23

I think in this case there is a standard to be expected though. Really, I don't expect them to actually go for maximum penalty under law, but they really should. He was entrusted to save lives, not kill them while partying behind the wheel.

An ambulance is not easy to drive. It is top-heavy and turns like a barge. The thing is a heavy duty truck/van after all. You have to have skill to drive it and special certifications for that matter. There is also an extra level of accountability that goes with being able to run red lights. Like if you get into an accident running the light you are 100% responsible no matter the circumstances as the operator.

The other issue here is the Attendant In Charge should be charged for not requiring the patient be restrained in the back. That AIC is the medic in the back with the patient and while I could potentially see them unstrained, the patient should have been. I wouldn't roll my ambulance until any non-medic/staff was strapped in, period.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 15:52

I assumed that was just standard procedure. Any time I’ve ever seen a TV show, documentary or news reports of someone going in an ambulance, they’re on a stretcher, secured in and the other EMT is back there with them.

Was this 60-year-old just sitting back there, nobody around? That’s strange/unexpected, to start with. And then you got Cheech and Chong up front, doing their thing…

Sounds like nobody involved was doing anything right. The DUI is only part of the whole mess.

This idiot should get into as much trouble as the law allows for. Like it or not, he is held to a higher standard. Don’t want that burden/responsibility? Then go deliver pizzas/food and don’t be an ambulance driver.

Nobody goes to jail (or the morgue) over cold wings or wrong pizza toppings.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 15:56

I don't know the exact procedures for this place, but minimum staffing for an ambulance is two. One Operator and one Attendant In Charge. The AIC sits in the back managing the patient and providing treatment as needed. The Operator does heavy lifting and driving. All are EMT-Basic minimum with the AIC normally EMT-I or even Paramedic, though that is normally a "zone car" who doesn't ride in an ambulance but floats as needed.

There had to have been an AIC because you just can't leave the patient unattended in the back. There are serious drugs (though locked up) back there among other things.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 15:59

That man’s family has the grounds for the biggest lawsuit in Georgia’s history, I’m thinking. I hope they win.

If people can get a payout for spilling hot drinks on themselves, then surely the family of a guy killed by a drunken, high ambulance driver merit some consideration.

Can you imagine the number of Atlanta area billboard lawyers who reached out to this family?!

I’m guessing “all of ‘em”.

They’re seeing nothing but mucho $$$…

This is exactly what this stuff is for. I despise frivolous, boneheaded lawsuit culture…but this ain’t it. This is one of those handful of times where even I’m like “sue the hell out of everyone involved!”

And make it hurt…make an example/cautionary tale of it so any others like this idiot think twice before ever doing it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-16, 17:50

This one will never make it to court. The lawyers for the ambulance company and their insurance folks are already figuring out the settlement. Were I the family, I wouldn't even hire an attorney. No reason to pay out 35+ percent for the easiest lawsuit in history.

Just stroll in, ask for $50million, and wait for the check.

And if they say "no, that's too much!", then hire an attorney and ask for $100million.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 18:52

There you go.

They still fielded calls from everyone in the metro Atlanta area with a law degree.

Hell, I think I called them Sunday afternoon (and I'm not even a lawyer; I simply offered to beat the ambulance driver with a 5lb. bag of potatoes and key his car...no charge).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 10:36

I smell a Darwin (and cheap perfume).

Quote:
A woman wearing a blonde wig and carrying a bouquet of roses climbed into the lion enclosure at the famed Bronx Zoo in New York City Thursday and started throwing money at the big cat.
I'm sure he appreciated that. Recent studies have shown that if there's anything large cats like, it's cold, hard cash.

"Hey, fellas...we can finally get that PlayStation we've been wanting! Maybe we can even get a couple of strippers over too?"

WTF is a lion going to do with $100 bills (the amount given in another story I read)?!

Quote:
She apparently climbed over a low fence and got into the exhibit, however, there was a deep trench that stopped her from getting too close to the lions. Lucky for her, that trench may have saved her life.
Nah, it wasn't the trench. As in other similar cases, I'm thinking the lion (like those grizzly bears with that woman a few months back) are just like "this is too easy; this person is either too unbalanced or too stupid to know better. Either way, I simply can't, in good conscience, eat someone like that. I prefer a bit of a challenge. You know...some stalking, a good chase, etc. I'm a lion...hellloooooo? This dingbat not have the Discovery Channel or ever watched Wild Kingdom?".

Yes, that's how I picture lions thinking in this scenario.

The kicker?

Quote:
The woman in question is believed to be Myah Autrey was charged with criminal trespassing and banned from the zoo in 2019 for similar antics, according to New York Daily News.

Cops were searching for Autry Friday, New York Daily News reported.
Yeahhhh...I'm thinking she's about two sandwiches short of a picnic. Who does this shit twice?

Nice to see that "ban" took. No doubt printed on the same paper they use for restraining orders ("when your ex shows up and starts stabbing you, use the order to deflect the knife blade and then give us a call!").

I suppose that's what the blond wig master disguise was all about?

"They won't know it's me if I change things up a bit...".

I think we're dealing with a devious, criminal mastermind here, folks. Two years from now? Redhead pixie cut wig!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-17, 12:02

Oh, Paul, you're too funny.

And the lion's wouldn't have eaten her because they can smell mental illness from a mile away and don't want that diseased stuff in their systems.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 12:43

The world will keep me entertained/amused (and sometimes enraged) for years and years to come.

Somebody, somewhere will always be doing something stupid, funny, awful, hilarious and/or unimaginable. Guaranteed.

I like all kinds of animals - polar bears, rattlesnakes, great white sharks, jaguars, elephants, etc. - but guess what? I also know they don't need me nearby, screwing with them. Not even to give them cash.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-17, 15:26

Wonder if it’s the same Lions that got COVID last year, maybe that’s what she was after.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 15:53

There seems to be an entire generation (or two?) who are completely oblivious to the danger, unpredictability and power of wild animals. It’s no accident they’re the same bunch eating laundry detergent packets, etc.

Do we blame Disney, and other children’s fare, for this outlook in many? A cuddly, cute talking cartoon lion or bear doesn’t have a real-life counterpart, idiots of the world. Try to grasp this before you die a needless, painful (and gross) death.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-18, 00:41

I say the perception comes from people who live in big cities and as a result don't encounter any real wildlife (unless you count the odd raccoon or opossum, maybe a coyote). That comes from not getting out of town when they are young more than anything, I think. Let's not forget these are likely the same type of people who would say that going 25 miles to the suburbs is "the wilderness" and "too far out from the city for comfort". And yes, we know people who say stuff like that. Then as a adults they go out into nature (or the zoo apparently), and it's just like a TV show to them.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 01:03

I suppose there’s some of that in the mix.

Two women are alive today who probably shouldn’t be. I hope they realize how lucky they are. But I’m guessing it’s never crossed their mind. Neither strike me as the type.

This dingbat will be back, just watch. If you do something twice, you’ll do it three times (and beyond) until the law, or nature, puts a stop to it.

Some people seem to only understand the currency/mechanics of jail and the morgue. That’s why I think this one has that Darwin trophy coming.

Might be a few years, but someone throwing money to lions isn’t going to listen to reason or warnings. If she leaves this world via anything other than Aslan’s mouth on her jugular, I’ll be shocked.

And, yes…her survivors/family will most certainly try to sue the zoo.

“Measures weren’t in place to sufficiently protect the public from the known dangers of live wild animals interacting so closely with humans.”

It’s a zoo, chuckleheads. Stay on your side of the barrier/cage/glass and your chances of being eaten drop quite dramatically.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-18 at 01:19.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 08:47

Quick update on piss girl.

This part kinda jumped out at me:

Quote:
At least on social media, Urista’s antics have been well received by fans. “Your band should be thanking you, you’ll get the attention your band deserves because the music is fantastic,” wrote one Twitter user. “You do you. Artistic expression should not have to be apologised for. If anyone has a problem they need to reassess where they are in life and perhaps find something real to be offended by,” added another. Another person wrote, “You did nothing wrong and actually it was probably the coolest thing someone is rock has done for an untold number of years.”
Yeah…

No comment…we’d be here all day.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-18, 09:51

Nothing like a little mob mentality to boot one’s ego, after doing something that you could expect from a five year old.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 10:00

I have a feeling everyone in that quoted block above goes around calling everyone over 27 "boomer". You can just tell.

The first one is my favorite, with Johnny Music Critic declaring that the band's music will now get the attention it deserves, due to her actions. It seems to me, Lester Bangs, that if the band was as good as you think, pissing on someone wouldn't be needed. "We've got everything in place...the musicianship, the sound, the equipment, loads of gigs lined up...we're just missing that one thing that will truly put us over the top and cement our reputation as serious musical artists. Hey, I know...".

That's about like saying "he is an amazing woodworker and craftsman. And now that he's shit on the chief of police's car in the Arby's parking lot, he'll finally get the attention he deserves!"

What does one have to do with the other?

Dude makes zero sense and is just putting stupid phrases together to sound cool.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-18, 10:03

Hey listen, getting peed on by a sexy girl could be wild, and exhibitionism can be titillating, but you go a bridge too far when you compliment a cover band for their music.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 10:25

Yeah, that's the thing. They're basically a cover/bar band. I know they're doing the edgy/nu-metal stuff in a different, catchy way, so I guess that's the gimmick/hook. But are they truly ever going to be anything more than a quirky novelty act? Al Yankovic with horns? Who knows.

So, yeah...Mr. Earnest Music Lover is being all complimentary and supportive in hopes that he's the one to get pissed on at a future gig.

A yellow knight, as it were.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 12:23

If you believe that getting peed on is cool, then you are mentally ill.

That's it.

"You be you!"

Unrestrained self-expression is never good. Ever! It can only lead over a cliff, for you and your loved ones. If that was one of my family (which would include my closest friends) I would let them know that they've lost their sanity and need to get help. Until then, stay over there.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 14:19

Yeah, everyone in that quoted box above are shocked that everyone didn't find it as illuminating and uplifting as they did.

"Reassess your life...". You first, dickwit.

"You did nothing wrong...". I think the jury might still be out on that, Kalebb.

"Artistic expression should not have to be apologised for...". No, but it also isn't required to be blindly praised and applauded, and seen as something special or transformative, either. Sometimes it's just some chick peeing on a stage because she's nasty and needs a little attention.

You and your two buddies are the outliers here. We're not quite yet in a piss-on-me/piss-on-you utopia. It may be coming, sure. But let's hold off on any 'I've been to the mountaintop!' speechifying for the time being. Most still think what she did was kinda tacky and gross. Try not to delude yourself into believing otherwise.

I've never seen three guys more eager to be pissed on in my entire life.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 14:37

As the saying goes, "Piss on them!"