Baby Frog 0 0%
Froggy McFrogface 2 20.00%
Force McFrog 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Page 16 of 16 First Previous 12 13 14 15 [16]  Thread Tools
Dr. Bobsky

2021-11-13, 18:29

There's a bit of math missing here: Disney isn't taking 100% profit on this money...

The breakdown in this linked article suggests that while its D+ service is indeed popular, there may be opportunity costs that are reducing the net impact for Disney (55% increase in one sector, but a 3% increase overall, in a year with buckets of inflation, tells you something). You might reasonably surmise that D+ is supplanting rather than supplementing in-theatre viewing, for instance, making the whole movie making endeavour less profitable overall. But ah well, I'm a firm believer we should be entering a phase of shrinking corporations and Disney's got to shrink...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-13, 19:05

I believe I clearly stated this wasn’t all profit (and that weren’t rolling in ~$1B a month, free and clear). Everyone knows that. They have things to cover like any company.

But it’s still a shitload more coming in to the company on a monthly basis than this time a year ago. And certainly two years ago, before the service came to be.

They seem to be doing okay with it (more than I would’ve ever imagined/predicted).
¡Damned!

2022-05-26, 15:05

Season 3 streaming February 2023. Plenty to chew on until then.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-26, 15:10

Gonna be a delicious Star Wars year.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-26, 15:49

Cool. It's finally getting to where there will be more than just one SW show a year, and then 10-12 months of nothing.

We've got Obi-Wan coming up soon - hell, TOMORROW! - then Andor at the end of august, and then a quiet holiday (bummer, I always liked The Mandalorian airing during that November-December timeframe, and then season 3 of Grogu on Parade in early 2023.

I can dig it. Would be nice if they can eventually squeeze in a third show in a single year, but this is better than nothing. We've got original SW fare tomorrow for a few weeks, and then a nice short break and then some more August 31.

I still think they should always produce a single 1-2 hour "holiday treat" type of thing - new story, revisiting something old, a little teaser or mini-film with folks we know (Bo Katan, etc.) to air in mid-late December. Since 2015, I've gotten used to the holidays having a little Star Wars to go with it. This year there won't be anything (not a show anyway). I always hope they're filming some one-off thing in secret - a "holiday special", if you will - and surprise everyone on December 24.

Even if it was just Chewie and Artoo wrapping presents for an hour, and a few old friends stopping by to say hi, drink some blue nog and tell a few stories.

So 2023 should give us a third season of the Mandalorian and, I assume, the first season of Ahsoka. Those two, at the very least. At some point, Grogu is going to start talking. If he maintains that Yoda syntax and all, I'll die. 🥰
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-05-26, 17:48

Can anyone explain to me why Han Solo showed up at the Star Wars event to announce Indiana Jones 5?
¡Damned!

2022-05-26, 18:29

M ≈ U ≈ L ≈ T ≈ I ∞ V ≈ E ≈ R ≈ S ≈ E
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-26, 18:54

Ugh, that shit is already stupid and hacky enough with Marvel and DC. Please no.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-10, 13:52

Season 3 hype beings!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-10, 16:19

I'm hoping this brings Paul back!

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-10, 20:07

This seems like a super long delay from the last season.

I get that things are weird with the pandemic still pushing everything, but even still.

And yes, it was nice to have more activity again with Paul pushing things, but then he seemed to just drop off.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-10, 20:08

Well, Book of Boba was really Mando season 2.5 so not horribly long.

It is actually kinda wild how they chose to do it... but it is what it is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-09-12, 09:46

Season 3 Teaser Trailer premiered at D23 this past weekend.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-02, 20:37

The Mandalorian and Grogu return March 1 only on @DisneyPlus.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to this season. Having made it through Clone Wars I have a better understanding of Bo now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-01-17, 08:54

Official Season 3 Trailer

Order 66 flashback teaser in there.... And some roger roger droids?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-17, 16:28

I had to watch the trailer twice to see the battle droids. Kinda wild finally seeing them again after going through the Clone Wars being full of those droids.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-10-04, 14:10

So did anyone watch Ahsoka?

I didn't watch Rebels so some of it felt a bit flat to me, but I appreciate I was missing context.

It seemed mostly good, if leaning hard on the "fantasy" side rather then sci-fi end of things. The Force is essentially just "magic" in this story.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
In the end, I feel like they told the story so slowly we only ended up at the midway point by the last episode.

Also, I don't quite understand how Sabine managed to apply quite so much makeup and so well while being a prisoner and then stranded on a unfamiliar planet...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-10-04, 14:37

I was with Ahsoka through episode 3. It just seemed to go nowhere fast. Endless teasing and an overall feeling of “gee, maybe next week…”, which I hate in a show. You’ve got my eyes/attention NOW, get to it. And not having watched Rebels, so much of it was just an uninteresting, distant mess to me. No engagement/interest in all these characters I don’t know. Not even Hera’s space butt in those orange pants was gonna keep me around. Yes, I’m that shallow/immature. *shrug*

Oh well.

Maybe I’m reaching the end of my rope with these shows too? These shows all love to meander and tease, and not really do much. Kinda unforgivable when you’ve only got 6-8 episodes to work with. In theory, they should be packed to the gills with action, adventure, reveals, exciting plots, interesting, eye-opening dialogue and revelations and not just endless driving around and talking. I can get that from Scooby-Doo. Or any Lifetime “she married an abusive asshole with a dark secret” movie.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-10-04, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So did anyone watch Ahsoka?
Just finished.

This series didn't grab me as much as I'd have liked.

I've seen all the prerequisites, so that wasn't the problem.

The nods toward those shows were appreciated

The casting just wasn't as *something* as I'd have liked.

Some characters were stupid flat.

The story was serious, but without a little light you can't take in all the darkness.

The script was weighted toward fantasy, which does not land as well when a lot of stuff is played so grim.

I frankly don't care if this show returns.

One thing.

5 or 6 years ago I attended a symposium, where an exec from HBO was a guest.

During the Q&A there was a moment where I got to ask a question of him.

Was the studio considering using the streaming platform to sell themed merchandise?

He indicated little interest and said that wasn't anything they were considering at that time.

Tonight I noticed that DISNEY has integrated a SHOP tab to the Ahsoka area, and expect they've done the same throughout their streaming platform.

I *knew* it was a good idea.

HBO just isn't in the merch game.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-10-04, 21:42

I just couldn’t get fully into it. I think the creators on these SW Disney+ shows are real big fans of quietly dragging things out. Not my favorite type of framing/pacing, with any show. These shows, however, do kinda blow me away with how good/real they look. What they can pull off on a TV scale/budget,

I’ve cooed about that since the first season of The Mandalorian. Gone are the days of seeing string/wire suspending spaceship models and visible zippers on aliens/monsters.

These shows are every bit as “big-screen/multiplex-worthy” as any of the stuff actually released there. That’s thanks to the tools and tech we have today, which is why, more than ever, it kinda has to hinge on the story/writing because any doof, me included, could pull off a good LOOKING show at this point. Just gotta fill that other cup up and make it count too!

And this one didn’t, for me. Andor, to my surprise, did.

I want Nando to get rid of the kid and go back to a solo hard-case act. I know they never will because of Grogu’s massive popularity and all, but either toss him or make him a fully-formed, armored 18” littke bad-ass so I don’t have to worry about him all the time. I can’t enjoy Din’s adventures/rougher encounters because I’m always wondering about/hoping the cute, sweet little big-eyed frog doesn’t get shot or stepped on.

I’d love to know what their original future plans were with this show before he was saddled with a baby that fans/viewers will never let go of or allow to end. Even when no less than Luke Skywalker came to take him away, he was back really soon afterwards, choosing Daddy Din over a life of Jedi Knighting and Force-this and Force-that. “Eh, I’d rather be a bounty hunter/sidekick. It pays better and if I meet a cute chick, I can actually pursue something vs. all that Jedi monk/no attachments/depriving myself stuff. Hasn’t worked out wel for most of you, from what I can see…”.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-10-04 at 21:55.