AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Book of Boba Fett **SPOILERS(?)**

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Book of Boba Fett **SPOILERS(?)**
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-28, 10:43

It'll be starting soon, so it should have its own dedicated thread, apart from The Mandalorian one.

I'll let you guys hammer out the spoiler policy...seems like a single thread, with spoiler tags used in appropriate places, is the cleanest, simplest way to go. But that's just my .02...I'll do whatever everyone decides on (but I think two separate threads gets a little messy/silly, pretty quick). I'm big on the "one stop shop" approach, and people just being smart/considerate with spoiler tag usage, at least within the first 3-5 days of an episode's release? Don't be like the bozos at various online "news" sites (or ill-mannered YouTube clowns), putting spoilers in the title/first sentence of a post or article the very night a new episode appears.

Just use some common sense/courtesy if this thread is to be the "everything Boba Fett" one. We've done okay in that Mandalorian thread.

Anyway, a second trailer for the show is out today (well, last night I suppose). I can't tell a huge difference between it and the one from a few weeks ago, but I'm sure there must be or they wouldn't have put it out. I think a few shots of his ship and some fighting?

I still don't know the full layout of this upcoming show, number of episodes, crossover stuff, etc. It looks like Boba and Fennec are trying to slide into Jabba's old position, but keep everything together and do business a new, different way? And I also realize they're likely leaving a ton of things out of these trailers - as they should - so we'll be as surprised at seeing them as we were other things while watching The Mandalorian.

PS - If I somehow overlooked an existing Book of Boba Fett thread - I did search back an entire year and saw only Mandalorian, Star Wars Stories and The Last Jedi threads - then delete this one, with my apologies.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 22:01

New Trailer today.

I'm looking forward to this show. I know it is pretty understated, but I really am.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-08, 22:09

Boba Fett was never one of my favorite characters, but I'll definitely watch this.

I'm very into things that expand the Star Wars Universe outside of the Skywalker trilogy and Disney and been doing a pretty good job of this I think. Hell, my favorite Star Wars movie is Rogue One.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 22:28

That scene at the very beginning of Jabba's palace (starting at the 0:08 mark), seen from behind those rocks, has a funky, so-fake-it's-cool look to it...that area between the foreground rocks and the plate of the palace itself.

Not bad, mind you. Just kinda low-tech and "okay, that's definitely an effect".

But, so was everything in 1977-1983. It doesn't bother me a bit.

I assume this show is using that circular, domed room that The Mandalorian uses, where stuff is projected all around?

PS - Every time I see Fennec Shand, I re-enter puberty again.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-09, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Hell, my favorite Star Wars movie is Rogue One.
Ditto!

Best one so far, and by no small margin in my book. That movie is so Star Wars without being Star Wars that it just nails it in every way I can comment on.

Back to The Book of Boba, that opening "strum" is straight from Jango's harmonic torpedo things from Episode II. Hit me right off the bat!

Man, I cannot wait! So ready for some more Star Wars That's Not A Raging Mess™!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
That scene at the very beginning of Jabba's palace (starting at the 0:08 mark), seen from behind those rocks, has a funky, so-fake-it's-cool look to it...that area between the foreground rocks and the plate of the palace itself.
Looks to me like Boba's gonna make a "grand entrance" and lay claim to the Hutt empire?

Quote:
I assume this show is using that circular, domed room that The Mandalorian uses, where stuff is projected all around?
Yep. That set will be used on everything going forward, and more are likely to be built as progress on new series and movies picks up pace. Coolest set in cinema history. If anything, The Mandalorian is proof of just how awesome and versatile the whole thing is.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-09 at 12:21.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 12:24

Another 30-second trailer dropped.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 12:59

I guess if I have one reservation/"uh-oh" in all of this is that's it's odd wrapping my head around the fact that the three-plus decades of mystery that surrounded the character, both before and after TESB, is forever undone. Only because of my disdain for the prequels overexplaining/zapping the charm and mystery from everything do I feel this way.

It's probably the reason why, despite how enjoyable he was in The Mandalorian, I actually find myself looking more forward to season three of The Mandalorian and the Obi-Wan show than this one. I'll watch, of course. But part of me hates the idea of Fett becoming just another stock SW character.

It'll be different. Not better, not worse. Just...different.

But the people in charge seemed to do good work (Robert Rodriguez directed several episodes, as did Favreau, Filoni and Bryce Dallas Howard). Those all did a good job on The Mandalorian, so none of my concerns are about the filming/writing at all. Just the "well, he's no longer that mysterious, mythical figure he's always been".

There's that risk of the Phantom Menace Effect. 2-3 years from now, will Fett's popularity/standing in SW lore somehow diminish as a result of all this? We'll see how it all plays out. But I know it'll be an enjoyable show. I just don't want those seismic charges become an overplayed thing every damn episode, that's all. Don't turn Boba Fett in Adam West Batman, that's all. I don't want to be sitting there going "oh, here's where he'll pull out and use that [fill in the blank]...".

According to the show's Wikipedia page, there are seven installments in this series, beginning on December 29 and running until February 9. Hopefully, within a few months after that, either The Mandalorian or the Kenobi show (or Andor or something will kick up. And then we move to a period to where there's a reasonably steady, year-round diet of Star Wars on Disney+, separated by a few months. It's just been hard to justify the cost of a subscription when there's been just one series for about two months and then 10 months of crickets.

I actually watched The Mandalorian on the log-in info of another (sue me). However, once these shows start to hit to where there is new streaming, live-action SW content at least 7-9 months of the year, I'll gladly pony up. That's been my plan all along, they're just dragging ass on getting to it. But I have zero interest in Marvel, Disney/Pixar, or rewatching any of the non-OT trilogy movies ever again (and I bailed on/couldn't hang with the animated Clone Wars stuff, despite my best efforts), so, at the moment, Disney+ is just a no-go for me. But I'm happy to change that once they make it worth my particular while. I'm only interested in the new, original live-action stuff at this point (Andor, Obi-Wan, Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, etc.). And once those start releasing with the frequency/density of the Marvel stuff (Wandavision, the Falcon/Winter Soldier show, Loki, Hawkeye), that'll be really nice. There have been about 11,000 Marvel-related shows on Disney+ throughout 2021 (or it just seems that way), vs., two years later, just the lone Mandalorian stuff for about two months of the year. Seriously...four live-action directly-related MCU shows on Disney+ throughout 2021, and the only SW-related one is (finally) showing up on December 29, two days before the year ends.* What the hell?!

That's an gross, tragic imbalance I'm not pleased with at all.

*And no, I'm not counting that Bad Batch show. And by all I've heard, seen and read...nobody else really did either.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-13 at 13:19.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 13:14

Honestly, I look forward to all things Star Wars, regardless who the characters are. The Mandalorian was so well done that Disney and their cast of makers get the benefit of the doubt from me for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, the kid and I are re-watching The Mandalorian to get ourselves psyched up for Boba Fett.

2 weeks!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 13:26

Oh, I'll watch. I just hope it doesn't undo/damage anything, big picture/long term, that's all. But the character was brought back so nicely in that one episode, so I have to believe the makers/creators of the show have the same thoughts and concerns I do and are going to do it right. Keep Kennedy and Abrams on the other side of the building, and out of any story meetings (okay...they can sit there and listen, they just can't contribute), and we'll be okay.

I read that the Boba Fett show will be set alongside, and same timeline, as the Ahsoka one.

You can't tell me, deep within the halls of Disney/Lucasfilm, some people aren't already hard at work to figure out a way these two hugely popular characters cross paths at some point. Would anyone have ever thought, just 5-10 short years ago, that there could be a situation/show where a resurrected Boba Fett and a live-action, adult Ahsoka Tano share the screen (either as allies or foes)? Even if just 1-2 episodes.

Because you know it's gonna happen. Might take a little while, but it's coming. They wouldn't have taken the effort to set both shows in the same timeline if not. They could've set either whenever they wanted and people would still watch. And I also believe the third season of The Mandalorian shares that same timeline as well, so...

Could be some really cool things shaping up for 2022 and beyond, SW-wise.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 15:07

Oh, I want to see Ahsoka and Abi Wan cross paths. That's the reunion I'm waiting for.

And you know damn well it's gonna happen, and in both shows! If it isn't a tear-jerking moment I'll eat my hat*!

Boba and Ahsoka may cross — I won't be surprised — and you'll hear me hit my head on the ceiling, too! But, they have no past to build on, so it matters not!

* This is an expression. I will not eat my hat.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 15:16

You have to consider your timelines. Obi-Wan has been dead for about a decade in the time these Mando/Fett/Ahsoka shows are set.

Unless these shows are doing some time jump/reset or Obi-Wan encounters Ahsoka as a blue glowing Force ghost (entirely possible, and it’s the reason I assume we’ll see an appearance by Liam Neeson in the Kenobi show).

Jedi don’t die…they just turn translucent blue and pop up to offer advice/guidance when still-alive Jedi need it most. Going by that, it wouldn’t surprise to see Samuel L. Jackson in that form at some point in that Kenobi show. Obi-Wan was close with/knew both Qui-Gon and Mace Windu.

All I’m saying is…if they figured out a way to bring back Mark Hamill/Luke Skywalker(!), then anything/everything is possible. Especially within the realm of Force ghosts and ever-improving CGI/deep-fakery.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 15:46

Ahsoka can easily show up in Obi Wan's timeline, quite possibly just before he meets Luke, and Obi Wan can easily show up in Ahsoka's as a force ghost to offer guidance and comfort.

It's gonna happen.

And don't be surprised to see Vader/Annakin popping up in all kinds of unexpected places.

There are going to be more light saber duels than you've ever seen before, and it's gonna rock!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 16:09

But the thing is, I’ve read in several places that these three shows are all taking place in the same timeline. There could be flashbacks and stuff, though.

But I’ve heard the meat of all these shows is still that shared post-ROTJ timeframe. Mando is the link…he knows both. So I’m betting any Fett/Ahsoka screen time would occur on some future Mandalorian episode/season.

One of those Very Special Episodes where an older Grogu has fallen in with a bad crowd and started smoking death sticks, stealing power converters, etc. Luke can’t help him but he knows someone who can!

If the Ahsoka show is set in the Mandalorian time frame, and she’s still pursuing Thrawn, Obi-Wan is long dead but can certainly appear to her as a ghost, absolutely. And I believe he will. And it’ll probably be when she needs it most in some way.

And then he can explain why he doesn’t look like Alec Guinness.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 16:23

Quote:
But the thing is, I’ve read in several places that these three shows are all taking place in the same timeline.
That's the thing, though. Obi Wan and Ahsoka cannot be "alive" in the same timeframe unless Obi Wan is *alive*, which means pre-Luke. So, I don't think all three (or maybe it's four?) are in the same timeline. The Mandalorian, Ahsoka, and Boba Fett can all be alive, with Obi Wan as a ghost (if he shows up), but the Obi Wan series cannot be in the same timeframe. However, that does not preclude Ahsoka from showing up in that series, since she is clearly alive while Obi Wan is. Thus, she can be a younger version and fit right in — even if played by the same actress.

These things can all happen, and I hope they do.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 16:30

Obi-Wan isn’t set in the time of these others. His show takes place smack-dab between episodes 3 and 4 (Luke’s about 9-10, etc.).

That’s where the confusion is. It’s separate from those other three, timeline-wise.

You’re right on the rest: The Mandalorian, the Book of Boba Fett and Ahsoka are the three that share the same post-ROTJ timeline. Obi-Wan has nothing to do here unless he appears to Ahsoka as a ghost (which I think is certainly possible). But the character has been “human form dead” for about 10 years (the four-year span of the OT, plus the six years later (after ROTJ) The Mandalorian is set.

The only way Obi-Wan and Ahsoka cross paths, if her show is set ~10 ABY is indeed a Force ghost. But there could be an episode, or part of an episode, set years earlier in that stretch between episodes 3-4.

Dawson looks so good, plus all that makeup she’s wearing for the role, she could easily pull off a younger, 20-something Ahsoka if needed.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-13 at 16:41.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 16:35

True, but the point I'm making is that Ahsoka is alive when Obi Wan is, so she can easily appear in that series, although she would be younger (obviously?) than she was in The Mandalorian.

She helps Obi Wan get something done, Obi Wan dies, she goes off to hunt Thrawn and meet the Mandalorian, etc.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 16:46

I get all that. But everything I’m reading is that her show is set alongside the other two.

That doesn’t prevent a guest appearance in Kenobi (or a flashback episode/sequence on her show, guest-starring Ewan McGregor). Just depends on which show they want the two to cross paths:

- A younger Ahsoka on the Kenobi show

Or

- a glowing Force ghost Obi-wan on Ahsoka’s show (or a flashback).

Yes, any meet up between Ahsoka and still-alive Obi-Wan means Dawson would be portraying a younger version than we saw last year. But she can pull it off.

Are we both saying/agreeing the same stuff and we just don’t realize it?!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 17:05

Yes.
¡Damned!

2021-12-14, 09:50

I'm putting money on first thing, Episode 1, before the title screen, we get the full story of how he escaped the sarlacc pit. It's on everyone's mind so just get it out of the way up front so he doesn't have to talk about it or give vague answers later. Let's see the skiff pull away in the distance, then after some time he either gets barfed up or rockets himself out. Let the Jawas find his injured body, strip his armor away, whatever. He gets tossed into a bacta tank by someone (there's a shot in the second link above that I assume is a bacta tank), recovers for a bit, maybe spends some time sans armor repaying whatever Mando-code debt he thinks is owed to the people that saved him (that may explain the 5-6 year gap between sarlacc spit and him back on Tatooine looking for his armor), and then we're all up to speed and can just enjoy Boba and May doing their thing.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-14, 10:15

I’d dig that. It needs to be addressed. And even if they opt to not show it, then he should be telling it to someone so we all finally hear the story. It’s been 38+ years, after all.

I’d love for the show to open this way. Give everyone what they’re wanting, right up front, and then it isn’t looming over/distracting from whatever action and dialogue takes place in the rest of the episode (and the six that follow).

I, too, expect that’s how the show will open…a flashback to six years earlier and that pit, with nice visual touches linking back to ROTJ…bits of the burning sail barge, one of those weird helmets Lando was wearing or maybe Artoo’s little beverage tray.

He gets out and, while his armor mostly protected him, he’s gonna be a bit scarred/messed up.

I can picture in my head a few cool ways they might show all this. I, too, would love to see that skiff with our heroes speeding away in the distance. Nothing needs to be shown, just distant silhouettes. But we know who they are.

I know he lost his armor, and the Jawas wound up with it. But I don’t think he ever lost his ship. So maybe that’s how he got around during this time…recuperating, repaying debts, searching for his stuff (he is a hunter after all).

The opening 10 minutes or so of this show could - and should - be very cool and satisfying. Get the big 800-lb. wampa out of the room, right up front. I agree 100%. Don’t tease/drag it out until the fifth episode.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-23, 15:19

Getting so excited!

Seriously, the people behind this are just super passionate about it all. I'm betting it's gonna be gooder than good!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-23, 15:25

I had no idea Happy was behind all of this!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-23, 15:28

There’s no way it’ll suck. It’s all the same people behind the other show we’ve watched for two years.

I never would’ve thought TV shows would’ve been the future of the property, and where the best stuff is happening. But just from a storytelling/logistical standpoint, you can cover a lot more ground in an 6-10 episode show than you ever could in a two-hour movie. You don’t have to cram everything in at once and shortchange other elements.

If it’s anything like the other, it’ll be fun. It runs through early February so that’ll be something fun for these bleak winter nights (our coldest, worst weather here is always January-February, so this is great timing). Not much to do outside that doesn’t involve freezing hands and a hurting face. 🥶
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-23, 16:02

Yeah, the kid and I are really looking forward to it. Premier is next Wednesday (weird that it's Wednesdays this time and not Fridays? I forget last time). Hopefully our schedules will line up so we can watch it together.

Boba Fett is that one character in Star Wars that was way oversold and underdelivered, and now we finally get to see what all the hubbub was about. Good timing, too. Need me some SW.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-23, 16:17

I think Loki moved them from Fridays to Wednesdays.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this one too. I'll take the time to watch it on my TV rather than my iPad on my treadmill like I'm going through Hawkeye right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 11:32

Okay, it's out today. I was wondering when it would be released, but when they said "December 29", they weren't kidding. It hit at midnight PST, about nine hours ago (3am EST). I remember that now, from The Mandalorian...how I'd wake up early to watch the new installments, then go back to sleep for another 3-4 hours. That way, once I'm up for good, I couldn't be spoiled by some dipshit blogger/YouTuber (or sites like Yahoo, notorious for posting articles with spoilers in the headline ).

Which brings up how we're going to handle this here.

Even though it's a **spoilers allowed** thread, is it still courteous to use spoiler tags? I don't know. Or can this just be the "anything goes" thread, and anyone NOT wanting to be spoiled just stay out completely (and maybe create a non-spoiler Boba thread?).

I kinda prefer the latter...it's clearly marked in the thread title. Anyone venturing in here can't claim they didn't know, right? I say this is the "speak freely, and openly, Boba Fett thread".

PS - I've not seen it. I heard they released two episodes this morning, so they're hitting the ground running. I won't come back here and play until I've seen them. Could be later today, might be the weekend. But I'll surf/click accordingly in the meantime; if I come here early and spoil myself, I'll only have me to blame.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-29, 11:55

Quote:
It is done. If you want to spoil, spoil away. The kid and I will be watching tonight roughly 7pm MST. After that, I'm gonna write what I'm gonna write.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-29, 18:55

This will definitely be something I am watching tonight after the little one goes to sleep...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 20:50

Okay, I just finished watching.

Because I'm a righteous dude, I'll still allow time to pull out, those who are in this thread and probably shouldn't be.

So, I'll start talking a little below...

You have been warned.

**SPOILERS AHEAD...ANYONE VENTURING BEYOND HERE, I DON'T WANT WANNA HEAR ANY SHIT ABOUT "MAN, YOU GAVE SPOILERS!" UH...YEAH...

Okay...

A bit of a slow start, but kinda interesting.

A few things, in no particular order:

- I was under the impression two episodes were released today, but all I can see if S1,E1. But if you watch the entire show through the end, a little thing comes up that reveals a "beyond the helmet" documentary about the creation/history of the character, so that might've been what I skimmed earlier today. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be two actual episodes of the show itself, just the one premiere. If I have that wrong, and I'm somehow overlooking it, please let me know! I could easily watch another episode tonight!

- Those of us wanting to know what happened to Boba after he fell in the pit, how he got out, etc. will be happy. We get it, and it looks a lot like what many of us imagined. No sign of the skiff with our departing heroes, but you definitely see the remains of Jabba's destroyed sail barge, the pit itself (and a nasty glimpse inside).

- Very heavy on fan service, but more of the natural, incidental type, vs. the heavy-handed, cheeseball variety. Within the first 10-15 minutes, you've got the pit, sail barge debris, Jawas, a Sandcrawler, Sandpeople, Banthas, Tatooine's twin suns, gamorrean(sp?) guards, Jabba's palace, a Rodian (Greedo species), and that oddly human-faced droid from Jabba's palace

- A bit of humor in places, including some lines between Boba and Fennec Shand as they visit some places formerly under the control of Jabba and make their presence known. The lady they spoke to at that club/casino looked familiar. Who was she?

- No Slave 1 appearance in this opening episode...but it's coming, I'm sure

- Some great visuals throughout, that sunken city (Mos Espa?) on Tatooine and all

- A very Ray Harryhausen type sand creature pops up toward the end...when it walked, that was the first thing I thought of, some of those old, giant stop-animation monsters in those old movies. You'll see what I'm talking about when you watch.

- A nice rooftop chase/fight scene featuring Fennec.

- It seems Boba undergoes regular bacta tank treatments for his Sarlacc wounds/injuries. Instead of the vertical tank we've seen Luke (The Empire Strikes Back) and Vader (Rogue One) use, this is a horizontal version, looking more like a tanning bed or high-tech coffin. He lies down in it, puts a breather in his mouth, closes the lid and liquid fills up and he lies in the stuff. The episode opened this way, with him having dreams/flashbacks to that Sarlacc scenario and its aftermath, and it was featured again later in the episode.

- No space scenes at all, no ships and no signs of the Empire or Rebel Alliance, Jedi, Sith, etc. anywhere. It was all Boba, Fennec, Tatooine, Mos Espa(?), Sandpeople, etc. Most of the action was of the hand-to-hand fighting and chase variety. No blaster play that I can recall.

- The visuals/FX seemed pretty good, every bit as much so as The Mandalorian. Speaking of which, Robert Rodriguez directed and Favreau and Filoni were shown prominently in the credits. If you like The Mandalorian, there's no reason you shouldn't like this, especially once things pick up and a true storyline/plot kicks in. This was more of an introduction/what happened at the pit and a brief glimpse of current time episode, vs. anything with an actual, true "plot". It was a tad slow at times, but I still enjoyed it for all the above.

- The theme is by the same guy who did The Mandalorian, and you can tell. That pulsating, sinister-sounding rhythm and wind instrument motifs. It sounds very Mandalorian-y at times.

- Stick around until/through the credits and you'll get the prompt for that "behind the helmet" doc.

- I think once it fully kicks in and we are introduced to some new characters (or fun cameos of folks we already know) and the conflict/tension/gunplay all ramp up, it'll be a fun show to watch.

- PS - I think I'm gonna wind up having a thing for Shand. And that lady who owns the club/casino, whoever she is.

And there you go. My breakdown/thoughts on The Book of Boba Fett, season 1/episode 1.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 21:03

PS - As with The Mandalorian, the above is most likely how I'll share my initial weekly thoughts/analysis after watching each episode...bulleted observations and discussion, as I don't really know how to write prose-passage review/critique, like a real writer. But I'll use bold, italic, quote tags, spacing, images, etc. as needed to try and make it as readable/digestible as possible.

And I'll do my best to rein in any rambling and mega-paragraphs, but...

No promises!