AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 3 of 49 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-20, 02:58

Looks like the fire came nowhere close to me, though I have no trees out by the desert. I am glad for this. I'd have hated to lose the landscape there!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
We're going to have to start a zoning committee for building permits.
But... I was about to claim the entire map for myself!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, I really need to figure out where the fuck I'm situated on the map. I can't see anyone from the top of the tower.
When I was leaving your Flaming Mountain at night a short while ago, I dropped some torches on the way to RowdyScot's dirt ranch. That plus the map above will hopefully give you good direction.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 03:14

Also, it looks like we're finally getting our money's worth out of the server's resources!

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 03:30

Awesome. At least I know which way to run now! Plus now I'll face the right way when I start building to connect to the skywalk.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2010-12-20, 03:38

I just ask to lay claim to some of the desert near me. Actually, a lot of it. I know Brad is game for my little project.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 04:20

I'm thinking of putting it as pictured below, connecting my existing little skywalk to the large land mass on the right then back to the major skywalk. I may even put in a staircase-tower on the isthmus about mid-way below the upper span if it won't interfere with what you're planning.

Will that work for you?

So it goes.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2010-12-20, 04:30

That's fine. I'm using the area past that because of space issues for my project.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 04:36

Cool. Hopefully it'll also make a nice observation deck for what you have in mind.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2010-12-20, 04:56

What I have in mind will be more impressive on the inside.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
What I have in mind will be more impressive on the inside.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
That's what she said!

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-20, 07:55

I've got a good start on the Flaming Mountain Skyway expansion; I'm just over land at the turning point, about to head west to the mountain proper. Making liberal use of the wood stash Brad left at the spawn area community chest (thanks!).

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 10:48

Speaking of that: How does the community chest work? Does it have an inventory list similar to our personal lists? How do you put something from your own inventory into the chest? The MCwiki isn't very helpful wrt chests.

Also, do you guys keep some of your own shit in chests so you don't have to carry it around? There's been a few times where I've either been blowed up or fallen off during a build where I've died and then had to go back and find all my shit scattered everywhere before it disappears. Like, say I'm working on a cobblestone project. I don't need to carry saplings, sand, etc. so I'd just leave them in the box for later.

Hopefully I can get my clients out of the way this morning so I can log in and start building.

SpecMode: Exciting! I can't wait to get going today.

So it goes.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-20, 10:51

I'm playing on my own server. It's loads of fun. The problem is that I died quite far away from my spawn point and I can't get back to all my stuff! I actually don't know where it is, even. I was working on closing off my first building when I got attacked. I tried to get away but I couldn't.

Then, on my way back, I found tons of coal and some mines but, of course, I died again. I need to pay better attention to where I am!

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

¡Damned!

2010-12-20, 10:59

I know what you mean. Me being so far away from the spawn point was not intentional. I was running through the forests chopping wood when it started to get dusky so I quick-like climbed to the top of the burning mountain thinking no baddies would come around all the fire and light. They did, so I just build a quick wooden wall around myself to wait the night out - got bored, and started digging. Now I basically live in a hollowed-out mountain top.

The times I've died and had to find my way back (and all the shit I lost) have been a pain. Now, though, Skyway!

So it goes.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-20, 11:18

Hey guise. The pub is almost done. I named it "Cap'n Drews." I still need 81 gold to make the bar out of solid gold bricks.

Feel free to put crazy shit all over the walls!

Also, we need something to simulate a tap. Ideas?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-20, 11:31

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-20, 12:04

I've struck out to the East, to a lake I've named Heart Lake (guess why) and I'm starting a treehouse. Problem is, the area is deserted, so there's mobs everywhere. I need to go out and seed some torches.

I also finally finished the skyway entrance to Castle Bryson, so it's a bit less of a deathtrap than it was...

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-20, 13:03

Hay Brad, you need to update! i cant join anymore, beta is official!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-20, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Speaking of that: How does the community chest work? Does it have an inventory list similar to our personal lists? How do you put something from your own inventory into the chest? The MCwiki isn't very helpful wrt chests.
When you open the chest, like opening a door, both your inventory and the chest's inventory appear -- you can drag items from one inventory to the other. There are two community chests. The large, main one is on the raised platform in the spawning area and the smaller one is in the safe house next to it. I have tended to go looking for specific items i need at that exact moment when accessing the community chest, but in general, I think its good to offload things you don't need (like clods of dirt) that someone else might have a use for.

Quote:
Also, do you guys keep some of your own shit in chests so you don't have to carry it around?
I think most of us have built our own personal chests as well, mine is in the mushroom mountain sky walk hub for items considered precious....

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Here's a view of the NYC Apple Store cube from in-game
Also needs a floating white Apple. Maybe use sheep's wool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Hay Brad, you need to update! i cant join anymore, beta is official!
Sorry for the delay. Updated!

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-20, 14:23

There's a bug with moving items from a chest to your inventory that causes them to drop. Looks like notch is working on it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 14:32

Aarrgg... I've found more new bugs in beta. Floor plates don't open doors and only close them half the time. And it looks like the new client tries reauthenticating with the mothership periodically during play, but since mc.net is so flakey, it just boots you out of the game.

edit: Okay, not sure what's going on, but restarting the server again appears to have fixed the floor plates.

But at least leaf decay is supposedly fixed. No more need for controlled burns!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-20, 14:36

hmmm, im having problems just logging in, it just hangs there

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 14:43

Retry now...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 14:50

Something's really fucked with the beta server. All sorts of timing issues causing glitchy behavior like the aforementioned broken floor plates as well as blocks reappearing after being mined.

*shrug*

I'm taking the server off while I try diagnosing. Might be nothing we can do until notch patches this.

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm taking the server off while I try diagnosing. Might be nothing we can do until notch patches this.
Notch's twitter seems to suggest that there are a lot of bugs that will be fixed tomorrow.

His twitter also seems to suggest that he didn't start implementing the switch to beta until later this morning. I know if I was in charge, I would of had a somewhat stable beta release all ready to go before I flipped the switch, but I'm not the best person to be talking about this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Also needs a floating white Apple. Maybe use sheep's wool?
We plan on using either wool, or solid iron blocks for the Apple.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-20, 15:15

Yeah, beta server is unusable at this point. Not only are there odd bugs, but it is *constantly* feeding a wide stream of data to the client. I'm seeing constant 200-300 kb/sec downloading on my Mac client here, even after the initial map load, just standing still. Previously the update stream was an order of magnitude smaller with occasional bursts as you walked around.

Sorry guys. Looks like we're at the whim of notch on this one. I'm shutting it down until the next patch.

Bonn89

2010-12-20, 15:17

Eh, it happens. In the meanwhile, I'm going to go throw eggs at mobs in my single-player world.

EDIT: A few things I've noticed after playing Singleplayer for a few minutes:

There's now a rollover in your inventory that tells you what each item is called:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/Scree...21.59%20PM.png

A lot of items have new/official names:
• Watches -> Clocks
• Lightstone (Dust) -> Glowstone (Dust)
• Hellstone/Bloodstone -> Netherrack (misspelling of NetherROCK, probably)
• Stone Half-Steps -> Stone Slabs
• Minecart Tracks -> Rails
• Gunpowder -> Sulphur
• Redstone Dust -> simply Redstone

Previously, if you left items in the 2x2 crafting square in your inventory when closing that window, they stayed there, allowing you to have 4 extra inventory slots. Now, that square acts like workbenches, in that items left in there get thrown when closing the inventory.

I'll let you guys know if I find anything else.

Last edited by Bonn89 : 2010-12-20 at 15:34.

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-12-20, 15:28

Ahhhh!!! This game is taking over my life! I play for hours... and when I stop, I thinking about what I will do next! Good thing Brad had to kick me off to upgrade and semi-good thing it's too buggy to br played now...

Anyway, my viewing platform has been completed and SpecMode graciously helped ms connect to the SkyWay. Come take a dive off my platform! Loads of fun. And I have newly rennovated Glass Blowing Design Haus. It's where I go at night to think of ideas and craft tools and blocks. It has 8 furnaces built-in to the floor and glass blocks in front of them so you can still see them burn. You gotta see it. I haven't needed to get all 8 furnaces going at once, but it should be cool. Everyone is welcome to use the furnaces and everyone is semi-welcome to my stash. Just don't take my diamond tools and armor please!

Also. There are Lincoln Memorial like steps now that knew go over the lava pit. Need to make I pretty still.