User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Networked email on 2 macbooks and a time capsule?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Networked email on 2 macbooks and a time capsule?
myhticyeti

2008-04-09, 10:22

Howdy all,

After many years in the wilderness I have returned to the mac promised land.

Both my wife and I work form home and we'd like to set up a email system based on the time capsule. We have two new macbooks and a time capsule.

We want to access our personal emails on our specific macbooks and our shared business emails on either macbook. My thinking is that that email would be hosted? on the time capsule.

Does anyone else have a similar situation and if so what was your solution? What email client are you using or would you suggest?

Thanks in advance...we're very happy to be making this change. Cheers.
myhticyeti

2008-04-10, 21:09

I'm giving this a bump....I'm sure someone can help me out there. I've looked into using a imap server but I'm unsure how well I'll be able to manage spam. Anyone out there who could advise would be appreciated. Cheers.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-04-10, 23:01

I'll try to help, but your precise intent is a little hard to understand.

As far as using Time Capsule, that's not a possibility. Time Capsule is a networked hard drive. If you want to run your own email server, you will need a computer to run it.

You are definitely on the right track with the idea to use IMAP. But, you are on the wrong track with the idea of running your own email server.

Do you have a domain for your business - something like yourdomain.com for example - that you want to use for the three email addresses you mentioned?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-04-10, 23:10

Hosting your own email server, as FFL said, is not what you want to do. If you're using an ISP to host your site, you have email servers from them. If they're any good, they use IMAP servers. In that case, email is accessible from any computers with the proper credentials.
myhticyeti

2008-04-10, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I'll try to help, but your precise intent is a little hard to understand.

As far as using Time Capsule, that's not a possibility. Time Capsule is a networked hard drive. If you want to run your own email server, you will need a computer to run it.

You are definitely on the right track with the idea to use IMAP. But, you are on the wrong track with the idea of running your own email server.

Do you have a domain for your business - something like yourdomain.com for example - that you want to use for the three email addresses you mentioned?
We do have a business and our own domain, it apparently does have IMAP capability. I'm concerned about the server getting filled up with spam. How do you manage this best? Thanks for the help.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-04-11, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhticyeti View Post
We do have a business and our own domain, it apparently does have IMAP capability. I'm concerned about the server getting filled up with spam. How do you manage this best? Thanks for the help.
Most IMAP servers have junk catchers built-in. But even if they didn't, your server will not get "filled" with spam.
myhticyeti

2008-04-11, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Most IMAP servers have junk catchers built-in. But even if they didn't, your server will not get "filled" with spam.
We run an online business and get between 200 to 300 pieces of spam per day. We currently use K9 on the windows side and it catches about 99% of these. I'll look into the junk catcher that my hosting service provides. Thanks for the info. Cheers.

BTW I used to live in Durham NC. I miss that burrito joint down by the university, I think it was called cosmic burrito.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-04-11, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhticyeti View Post
We run an online business and get between 200 to 300 pieces of spam per day. We currently use K9 on the windows side and it catches about 99% of these. I'll look into the junk catcher that my hosting service provides. Thanks for the info. Cheers.
Even at 2000 pieces of spam a day, you won't fill up a server. Spam messages are generally very small in size (as are most emails). Probably on the order of 6-8k total. That's a total of 12 megs of spam/day. Your server probably has gigabytes of space. It would take you a year to fill up 4 gigs of space. At 2000 spam messages a day.
Quote:
BTW I used to live in Durham NC. I miss that burrito joint down by the university, I think it was called cosmic burrito.
Cosmic Cantina. Good, cheap mexican food.