AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Store for Vets and Active duty!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Store for Vets and Active duty!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-03, 16:06

I'm thrilled to see that Apple finally has for real discounts for veterans and active duty military personnel. In the past we were grouped into a Government Employee group that had more and more discounts stripped away. When I first was introduced to it (about the time I joined this forum) you could get a discount on Mac mini, iPods and such. Here lately that store doesn't discount much. At. All.

The new store actually gives discounts, like 10%!, on just about everything. This is so cool to me. I know I'm a minority here as a vet but it really is nice to see them steps up and offer savings like this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-03, 16:39

Glad you're happy. For small retailers like us, it's just more corporate competition we cannot match. It's one thing to face competition from other retailers (Best Buy, etc.) when we know they pay wholesale for Apple gear, and thus lose money on their loss-leader sales. However, when we face this kind of price competition from the manufacturer, it's very difficult, because Apple makes a profit either way. With our margins on Apple hardware already small (and getting smaller), there is no way we can compete.

Basically, what Apple is saying here is, "We want the vet market all to ourselves, with no competition from our retail partners. And we're going to get it by pricing our products below wholesale, thus ensuring the only way our retail partners can compete is by losing money."

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-03, 16:50

I can see that (as a guy who owned a small retail business for a little while) but the thing is Apple products are rarely discounted much out in the market as it is. Sure you can get clearance savings and such, but Apple's price in one store is just about always the same as the other guy's.

Not that it won't cut into your store's profit some in anyway. I'm guessing that it won't be a really large chunk given where you are. If you were here in Tidewater or San Diego etc. I would imagine it being a much larger impact for that business.

In the end, I am very happy! Thank you for being glad about it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2018-12-10, 16:26

kscherer, sounds like it’s time to reconsider how you run your business, or selling Apple products altogether. Since launching their own stores and online sales there have been little insentive for third parties to sell Apple products. Now you even have to compete with Amazon. If you cannot offer customers something Apple or others do not your buiness failing isn’t Apple fault.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-20, 09:02

So Apple changed this up just a bit and now there is a verification process we have to go through. When I posted this link earlier there was no check that you were or weren't a Vet.

Now maybe I'll be able to get the pricing in the store or through their App. For now if I want my 10% off I have to us the website. Not that it is a bad thing, but it makes it more difficult to buy from them when I could just grab my phone and order.