Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question about US Election campaign
Page 57 of 61 First Previous 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61  Next Thread Tools
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-05, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I continue to be amazed at this circle of Democrats you know who invariably are "smug" (a lot of them drive a Prius, right?), when they're not "screaming" or "ranting." You really need to hang out in different circles.
Actually no they don't drive a Prius. The latest friend car purchase was a Mustang with 400+ HP. I never said they couldn't by hypocritical to boot.

Smug to me really breaks down to a disconnect between how you feel about yourself and your accomplishments. They simply feel superior but without the accomplishments to back it up. My circle includes a lot of Fine Arts folks and also a lot of educators. The educators tend to have degrees but the Fine Art folks are very hit and miss in that regard. So as an example if you are railing about uneducated white people in the interior of the country while you happen to be uneducated and on the coast but you feel superior, well that just doesn't compute.

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that you're the smug one? You frequently boast about being right about everything, you seem to believe that no one but you has ever considered the issues or done any research, and that your solutions to every problem are self-evidently correct. You dismiss everyone you know as some kind of hysterical lunatic.

The entire basis of your entire posting history has been predicated on your contempt for "smug" liberals and their tedious posturing. It seems sort of ....pathological.
I don't consider myself superior to anyone. I've made my choices for me but I do a pretty decent job of seeing the big picture and not to bad with trends either. I spend a lot of my mental energy on noting trends in what I call "the hollowing out" mostly for investing purposes. There's a weakening and doubling and even tripling down on a successful trend and it doesn't so much pop (since most people think in terms of bubbles) but collapse under the weight of the bad decisions. I tell people to imagine a hill that you are climbing and while you feeling like you are getting to the top, Underneath there is a river that is slowly eating away the base. At some point you end up on a precipice while feeling you you are near the top of the hill. The weight at some point causes a collapse.

We've been discussing this non-politically with Apple recently. The lack of Mac updates, charging $20 for cables on power adapters that used to be included, etc.

Also I'm anything but dismissive. I'll do my best to chat up just about anyone and try to make it an informed discussion as well.

Quote:
Myself, while my liberal friends here in the godless Bay Area can be smug at times (because they're, you know, human, and human beings tend to enjoy that sort of thing, conservatives included) they're also terrified, determined, outraged, thinking strategically, depressed, bucking each other up, and asking about what concrete steps can be taken.
Oh I assure you that you have a god and you desire a utopian end state. You just don't assign it the same vocabulary. As for concrete steps that can be taken, I've mentioned how California is doing pretty terribly right now. I'd tell them to think more locally which is what I've been saying to my own circle of friends.

I mean as an example let me ask you about a local matter. Does it not seem like the $.10 bags we now all chip in for will do much more environmental damage than the thinner bags we all had before? If a fee, why not mandate paper? I mean people voted. They feel like they made a change but for the most part I see the change as getting charged an extra $0.50-$1.00 on the transaction for bags that will do ten times more damage. Does that belief make me smug? I didn't vote for the bag "ban" because it didn't ban anything. It replaced it with something worse in the name or progress toward utopia. I'd treat the people that can't see past the "single use" nonsense the same as people who tell me Jesus requires me to dunk my body forward versus backward to be baptized or else I'm going to hell.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Marquette County Republican Party secretary and former Chair Dan Adamini tweeted that he hoped for "another Kent State" to deal with protests. Nothing like the threat of being murdered to make a person smug!
As for person I've never heard of before Dan Adamini and the conclusions I'm supposed to draw from his tweets, I could care less. I've said we need to focus a whole lot less on social media and more on either real discussion or real world solutions. I'm not a fan at all of drawing conclusions from "tweets". It would be like drawing conclusions from YouTube video comments. As for our president and his tweeting, I've specifically said he uses them to intentionally distract while he getting an actual agenda done so understand I'm being consistent there. I also don't imagine Sarah Silverman will be leading any coups any time soon. If that makes anyone on any side feel any better or worse.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-02-06, 07:10

Nick: "Mr. Trump, who was not fully briefed on the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, has demanded that he be looped in earlier." -- Nytimes....

Yeah, he's not in control...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-02-11, 13:21

NYT Graphic: How Sean Spicer has changed the White House Press Briefing

That said, Melissa McCarthy on SNL owns him now

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
¡Damned!

2017-02-11, 17:48

Alt Spice is an absolutely perfect Press Sec for the Republican Administration. He's the (R)'s Id, and it's wonderful to see.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-02-13, 23:15

The wheels sure are coming off this thing pretty darn fast.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...an-ambassador/
¡Damned!

2017-02-14, 08:36

And Petraeus, of all people, is seriously being considered as a replacement – only a couple months left on his probation for leaking top secret documents and lying to the FBI, so of course he is.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-02-14, 11:52

The connections between Trump and Russia are seriously concerning.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-02-15, 05:38

Impeachment countdown in...

Actually I think Congressional Republicans are too chickenshit craven gutless intoxicated with power to even consider it.

It's been Party before Country for Mitch McConnell et al since Obama... if not since 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Too true. Always have been.

Until there are photos of Donald giving Putin a handjob...

Or somebody leaks his taxes and we find out he's in hock building Trump Sochi and Mar-a-Kremlin*

We're likely to be stuck with the Manchurian President with munchkin hands.

* I seem to recall reading that one of his sons bragged about how many Russian investors they have in some projects, and that they have been angling to find properties for golf, hotel, and/or branding opportunities in Russia for some time. Strangely silent on the topic (if not in outright denial) since November.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2017-02-15 at 06:32.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-15, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Impeachment countdown in...

Actually I think Congressional Republicans are too chickenshit craven gutless intoxicated with power to even consider it.

It's been Party before Country for Mitch McConnell et al since Obama... if not since 2000.

Too true. Always have been.

Until there are photos of Donald giving Putin a handjob...

Or somebody leaks his taxes and we find out he's in hock building Trump Sochi and Mar-a-Kremlin*

We're likely to be stuck with the Manchurian President with munchkin hands.

* I seem to recall reading that one of his sons bragged about how many Russian investors they have in some projects, and that they have been angling to find properties for golf, hotel, and/or branding opportunities in Russia for some time. Strangely silent on the topic (if not in outright denial) since November.
I'm thinking that before there is an impeachment there will probably have to be an actual person on record for the accusations.

I've read multiple stories like this CNN story.

Quote:
multiple current and former intelligence, law enforcement and administration officials tell CNN.
However none of them tell CNN on record. The only people on the record for the story deny the story and claim to be mystified as to the allegations.

Here is the NY Times on the matter.

Quote:
according to four current and former American officials.
Again they are off the record.

I suspect this will end up much like the claims about Trump wanting to be urinated on or what have you.
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-02-16, 14:20

LOL, nothing to see here move along..... not going to fly.

Meanwhile, Trump is trying to split the difference between "fake news" and "leaks are outrageous crimes" (didn't seem to mind leaks when they were damaging Clinton's campaign). At his presser today he offered up some kind of gibberish along the lines of "the leaks are real but the media is fake"(?). Meaning, I guess, that there are actual leaks of actual information happening but "the media" is choosing to grossly misreport those leaks? Which makes no sense whatsoever, but then "sense" isn't really the calling card of this administration. But he assured us that "he knows things" that puts him in a position to make this characterization, so I guess that's all good?

I suppose this is all part of his genius strategic head-fakery, wherein he makes the news about how is admin is literally treasonous to distract us from the real work behind the scenes. Except..... he has accomplished exactly nothing. His photo-op executive order signings are pure theater, the content of those signings being little more than "Trump likes certain things and encourages whoever is in charge of those things to proceed with all due speed." But I guess they look nice to his supporters as he holds up the gold rimmed, leather bound volumes for the camera. "He's really getting stuff done, now that he's instructed someone to, um, continue enforcing the law, form a task force about good ways to enforce the law, and report back to him with ideas about enforcing the law! Crime is practically solved! So much winning!"

Republicans have a choice now. The writing is on the wall. They are playing a dangerous game, hoping to keep a manifestly unfit man in office long enough to enact their legislative agenda. With ever passing day it becomes more obvious how destructive to the country this course of action really is. Are they willing to face the midterms having aligned themselves with a petulant, mercurial child who is angry because he wasn't elected king? Anyone who watched his rambling press conference today has to admit this guy is a fool. Well, anyone honest who isn't willing to put party before country. At some point, these chickens will come home to roost and the American people will want to know: "where were you when the president proved to be a profoundly incompetent, profoundly unqualified, actually dangerous buffoon? Did you speak up? Did you take measures to limit the damage? Or did you studiously look the other way?"

After the endless Clinton investigations, you almost have to admire the near thermo-nuclear hypocrisy of Congressional Republicans as they casually dismiss the idea of an independent investigation of Trump's Russian ties. Or that somehow not releasing his tax returns (which after all would go a long way toward clarifying his foreign relationships) is the new normal. Dumbfounding.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-02-16, 14:45

I mean, because Trump is such a fire hose of insanity stuff gets lost in the noise, so just to highlight a relatively small thing:

During Trump's press conference today, he asserted, again, that he had won the biggest electoral college victory since Regan (which is an improvement on his earlier claims of "ever", but still untrue). NBC's Peter Alexander pointed out the 5 elections since Regan wherein the winning candidate received more electoral college votes than Trump. He responded, "Well, I was talking about Republicans" and implied that he had just received his info and that possibly he had been misled by his staff. He closed off this line of discussion with "It was a substantial victory, do you agree with that?"

So in the space of just a few seconds, the President of the United States

--once again brought up his "historic" victory, a topic he seems to be bizarrely obsessed with and typical of his childish fixation on "winning" and "getting credit."
--lied about the margin of that victory, then lied again when challanged.
--blamed his lies on someone else (and how the fuck is it that the President of the United States hasn't acquainted himself with a few simple numbers, in that he keeps bringing them up?)
--changed the subject with a final little "yeah, but I'm great, yeah?"

And this at a press conference that ostensibly addressed a crisis in his White House (and it is a crisis whether or not you think the underlying information is credible).

Trump is such a massively dysfunctional figure that it's almost hard to see him-- he's just a tornado of lies, accusations, petulance, non-sequiturs and boasting, so after a while we're just perceiving "Trumpishness" without much detail. But this exchange alone should be horrifying to anyone who cares about the orderly functioning of our government. I don't think he distinguishes between his lies and what he just wants to be true. I have no doubt he'll bring this up again, lie again, get corrected again, and it won't matter to him at all. He's unhinged. It's obvious. It's obvious. Chortling about disoriented liberals in the face of this terrible fact is appalling. We share a country, regardless of our political leanings. Trump threatens us all.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
dglow

2017-02-16, 16:51

Trump is a prisoner inside himself. Although, by definition, he does not (or cannot) see it that way.

So very narcissistic. So desperately in need of constant attention and continual reinforcement. His emotional state is actually quite sad. Intellectually, he answers the question originated with his generation: what results when one's learning and literacy is delivered by television?

You've probably met people like him, just not born into the standing he was. In other circumstances he would be the bitter guy at the nursing home nobody wants anything to do with.

Yes, we should be afraid. We should also ask who is actually making the hard decisions, attending to the details that matter. Because it isn't The Donald.
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-02-16, 18:20

April Ryan: Are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations about your urban agenda, your inner city agenda...

Trump (leaning in, puzzled): Am I going to include...... (pretty clear he doesn't know what the CBC is)

Ryan: Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus in....

Trump (talking over Ryan): Well I would, do you want to set up the meeting? Do you want to set up the meeting?

Ryan: No, no, no, I'm just...

Trump: Are they friends of yours?

Ryan: I'm just a reporter. I know some of them.

Trump: No, go set up a meeting. Let's go, go set up a meeting, I would love to meet with the Black Caucus. I think it's great, the Congressional Black Caucus. I think it's great.

Congressional Black Caucus, via tweet: Hi, @realDonaldTrump. We’re the CBC. We sent you a letter on January 19, but you never wrote us back. Sad!

All black people know each other. They have a secret language that makes it easier to communicate with one another, so it makes sense to randomly draft a black emissary to make overtures. The President doesn't speak black, so hopefully his new agent will make some headway there. If not, well, it's on her.

¡Damned!

2017-02-16, 18:26

That was one of the most surreal exchanges at that press conference, and the whole thing was mind-blowing.

At least Peter Alexander got a little push-in. "You're the President" was hilarious.

Hoo boy. Month 01 is almost over.

[edit]:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-02-16 at 18:37.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-02-18, 08:44

Trumps comments need to be seen in the right context... (hat tip to the Daily Show )

El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-18, 11:06

USA TODAY

Quote:
"But Trump’s draw, Tannen explained, is tied to his ability not to sound like a politician or an expert. People feel he’s talking to them, she said, which makes people feel comfortable.

“It’s part of our increasing tendency to value the conversation and the everyday over the experts and the formal,” she said."
When you complain about how Trump speaks, you are helping sell him, not stop him.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-02-18, 12:08

It doesn't make me feel comfortable, and last I checked, I am a person.
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-02-19, 13:41

Tracking polls show a steady widening of Trump's pro/con numbers. I expect we'll see 40/60 soon, and I expect his floor is around 30/70. It's important to remember that when we talk about Trump's supporters (his hardcore supporters, not the "I'll hold my nose and hopes he cuts taxes supporters) we're talking about less than a third of the county. The idea that we need to understand Trump and his supporters, find inclusive language, etc, etc. isn't necessary or practical. Trump isn't an ideology to be reckoned with; he's an infantile, delusional thug with authoritarian ambitions. If there's a crisis and he fucks it up as much as he gives every evidence of inevitably doing, expect those numbers to swing sooner than later.

And before someone lectures me about how such hubris cost the Dems the election, note that Trump won with 26% percent of the vote-- and that's pretty much his constituency. He managed to get pretty much everyone who was sympathetic to his message to vote. Those people will continue to support him if he rides a Russian-made tank to the Washington Monument and opens fire. These people despise America, because they believe that the America they live in is some kind of trick designed to rob them of their natural place in the sun.

There's no point in soliciting the favor of people who despise America (or their craven, cowardly, treasonous Republican enablers). The only job is to organize and vote. More effective GOTV efforts would have won the last election, you can be sure that there will be vastly more motivation for the next-- despite the treasonous, American hating actions of the contemptible vote suppressing Republican Party, which is now prepared to solidify power by completely abandoning any pretense of democratic process.

addabox
Veteran Member

2017-02-19, 14:22

BTW at his "campaign rally" in Florida yesterday, Trump cited "what happened in Sweden last night" as part of a litany of the horrors of terrorism. Since nothing remotely terror-related happened in Sweden the previous night, there was a scramble to figure out what the hell he was talking about. As far as anyone can make out, he was referencing a Tucker Carlson piece about immigration in Sweden that had aired the night before.

The President watches cable news and reacts to what he sees. And now, it appears, he doesn't distinguish between events in the world and the events in his bedroom-- i.e. the moment something registers with him as bad.

Consider that, Trump apologists. That's a grave cognitive dysfunction. He didn't "misspeak." He freely associated him noticing something on television about immigration with a terror incident. Do you feel safe? Do you trust this man to manage an international crisis?

Matsu
Veteran Member

2017-02-19, 15:30

I still contend he embarrasses some republicans only because of how he delivers his message, not the message itself, which for years has been implicit in their campaigning, if not always in their policies.

They quickly fell in line when it appeared plausible he could (and did) win - an outcome for which I gave him a better than fair chance many months ago. In 18 months time, if he again appears able to drag republicans to office under his coat-tails, they will all be in line, only if he looks like he will hurt their prospects in the legislative houses will any sort of real dissent materialize.
¡Damned!

2017-02-21, 12:33

je suis IKEA
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-21, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Tracking polls show a steady widening of Trump's pro/con numbers. I expect we'll see 40/60 soon, and I expect his floor is around 30/70. It's important to remember that when we talk about Trump's supporters (his hardcore supporters, not the "I'll hold my nose and hopes he cuts taxes supporters) we're talking about less than a third of the county. The idea that we need to understand Trump and his supporters, find inclusive language, etc, etc. isn't necessary or practical. Trump isn't an ideology to be reckoned with; he's an infantile, delusional thug with authoritarian ambitions. If there's a crisis and he fucks it up as much as he gives every evidence of inevitably doing, expect those numbers to swing sooner than later.

And before someone lectures me about how such hubris cost the Dems the election, note that Trump won with 26% percent of the vote-- and that's pretty much his constituency. He managed to get pretty much everyone who was sympathetic to his message to vote. Those people will continue to support him if he rides a Russian-made tank to the Washington Monument and opens fire. These people despise America, because they believe that the America they live in is some kind of trick designed to rob them of their natural place in the sun.

There's no point in soliciting the favor of people who despise America (or their craven, cowardly, treasonous Republican enablers). The only job is to organize and vote. More effective GOTV efforts would have won the last election, you can be sure that there will be vastly more motivation for the next-- despite the treasonous, American hating actions of the contemptible vote suppressing Republican Party, which is now prepared to solidify power by completely abandoning any pretense of democratic process.
This is just hilarious to read. It's almost like fan-fiction. I mean do your read yourselves on here? Fantasy scenarios where Trump is tossed by a Republican Congress or the older, whiter and more Republican mid-term voters suddenly change what they've done for several cycles all because Trump is giving them what he said he would but darn it, they all secretly despise America because..... look a puppy!

It's just sad to read.
¡Damned!

2017-02-21, 21:29

It's just sad to read.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-22, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

It's just sad to read.
It's not sad for me. Explain why it is sad to you. I'll explain why it isn't for me. One I don't follow this guy too much but I do remember Bill Maher basically getting fired from doing Politically Incorrect and he ended up just fine doing Real Time on HBO. If this Milo dude has real talent he will end up somewhere else, maybe even better off. If he doesn't then he doesn't. Right? What's sad about any of that?
dglow

2017-02-22, 13:59

Milo certainly has talent, but it's how he deploys this that is sad. He excels at highlighting his enemies' every last mistake or hypocrisy, no matter how small or significant, while failing to debate the primary issue at hand.

Listen to an interview (Joe Rogan 702 is a good example, or the recent Drunken Peasants) where Milo is challenged, even lightly. He will respond with one or more of the following tactics:

- derail the question by rapidly speaking over the person posing it
- immediately claim he agrees with the counterpoint in order to defuse the question, or deflect from his own position
- dodge by changing the subject entirely, often via innuendo or a 'racy' offhand comment
- flatter the asker by commenting on their appearance or dress

Milo often says outlandish things: things which are untrue, unnecessarily mean, or often both. When challenged on these (if he is challenged) he will employ the tactics above. If none of these work, his go-to escape is a "tee-hee, I was just joking, didn't you know?"... which is just cowardly.

But because Milo assumes the role of the discerning, wisecracking homosexual, we're supposed to let it go. Right?

Sad.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-22, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
But because Milo assumes the role of the discerning, wisecracking homosexual, we're supposed to let it go. Right?

Sad.
Well we certainly let it go for Maher, Stewart, Colbert and so forth. I simply noted the parallels. In my view all those folks I mentioned react similarly. If really pressed they pull out the "hey I'm not a real intellectual, I'm just a comedian" card.

That said, back to the election. I think we should recall a few of these fantasy scenarios and how they have gone so far. We've hard the selective recounts, where a bunch of people threw money at Jill Stein and they were hoping to overturn a few states. Nothing happened there. They we had the "faithless electors" scenario whereby if people demanded electors not engage in the will of their states, the result would change and Trump would be stopped. That didn't happen in fact more electors left Clinton than Trump.

Now we've got an inaugurated president so and impeachment is doubtful so we have this scenario where both his own cabinet and afterwards Congress decided to remove the President.

To most people these read as an ever escalating series of delusions. I've tried to talk to some of my friends about the midterms. They seem completely clueless about how the last several have gone, the Senate make up in terms of Republicans vs Dem running for re-election, etc. They are getting as strange and conspiratorial as.....well some of the posts on here.

I understand really..... Pence and Trump are probably going to be impeached next week for what was said by a fired cabinet member carried over from the Obama administration who lied about it before any of them took office. I totally get it......
dglow

2017-02-22, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
Well we certainly let it go for Maher, Stewart, Colbert and so forth. I simply noted the parallels. In my view all those folks I mentioned react similarly. If really pressed they pull out the "hey I'm not a real intellectual, I'm just a comedian" card.
Sorry, that's a false equivalency. One cannot legitimately claim that Maher, Stewart, and Colbert regularly and repeatedly employ the deceptive rhetorical tactics of Mr. Yiannopoulos. Yes, they may occasionally 'play the comedian card' but this is a but a small part of the larger whole.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-23, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
Sorry, that's a false equivalency. One cannot legitimately claim that Maher, Stewart, and Colbert regularly and repeatedly employ the deceptive rhetorical tactics of Mr. Yiannopoulos. Yes, they may occasionally 'play the comedian card' but this is a but a small part of the larger whole.
I noted parallels. I don't have a ton of Milo background nor honestly do I care. I wouldn't seek sound logical conclusions from any of the people listed or discussed in that group. That's sort of the point.

That said.....

This sort of hypocrisy becomes amusing to me.

This is really becoming funny to me. I don't want Bill Maher fired but it is interesting to watch the rhetorical devices used against the parties that devise them. Trump supposedly elected by fake news? Well we will call corporate news fake news too. Go after someone for their sexual mores, good luck with that when we start digging into your background and statements.

Now back to politics... I've spoken several times that what Trump does seems intentional to me. It seems engineered or purposeful. This piece does some nice thinking out loud in that area as well. I thought it insightful.

Someone here even mentioned a part of the press conference that is cited here.

Quote:
His exchange last week with April Ryan, a correspondent for the American Urban Radio Network, captured that perfectly. She asked him a loaded question not as a neutral reporter but as a water-carrier for the Congressional Black Caucus. So he treated her that way. “I’ll tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting?” the president said to her, after she asked if he would meet with the CBC. “Do you want to set up the meeting? Are they friends of yours?” Of course, they are friends of hers and she was trying to score a partisan point for them. Had Trump not deconstructed that for the audience, her question might have done him damage. Instead, it fell flat and looked unserious.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-02-23, 18:02

No. Just no.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-02-23, 21:12

I've had some personal dealings with Milo's people. They're nuts. Assume everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie and you're still being generous. A completely different level of scumbaggery and honestly it would never occur to me to compare him to Colbert or even Maher.