AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Screw Apple!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Screw Apple!!
Englishman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-23, 06:38

Just been reading the most recent macuser edition and it's all full of nice articles about the intel switch blah blah blah, and then i read apple has $7 billion to play with.

Nice, Sure but to think of how they made this by getting people to switch and invest in their hardware only to find out a month or two later that there hardware is now of the product line Yes this has happened to me and many many others.

So now were going to do this fuck with out wallets on a much higher scale with the switch over. So we have a choice, Do we buy a PC and enjoy cheap hardware prices and a longer shelf life or do we buy a PC with a mac badge on it and pay 3 times the amount for a decent graphics card just so we can get the fullest out of our operating system??!!!

The advantage of using a mac was the hardware now it's just about the software (OS X) which when you look at it deeply isn't really to special. Take away core graphics and you can pretty much do everything else on linux or unix it just does it in a slightly different way.

Thank you apple for the experience, i came from a windows lock in world and switched to what fast became an apple lock in world with prettier bells. Thanks for convincing me to pay higher prices just so you could bend me over and f#$£k me in the ass. Just bear in mind that some clever monkey is just waiting for the first x86 version of OS X to ship and will have it running on a standard PC within months and people will no longer be shackled to your hardware.

I've been a mac user for over 4 years and i'll be damned if i'm going to help make apple any richer just so i can have a warm feeling of bells & whistles and live in somewhat discontent to know that i've helped refuel steve's jet.

Screw you apple, God know's you've done it me enough!!

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-06-23, 06:44

Hmmmm, ok. As long as you have thought it through. Personally I could not care about the processor as long as it works.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-06-23, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman
Nice, Sure but to think of how they made this by getting people to switch and invest in their hardware only to find out a month or two later that there hardware is now of the product line Yes this has happened to me and many many others.
Welcome to the world of technology.

Quote:
The advantage of using a mac was the hardware now it's just about the software (OS X) which when you look at it deeply isn't really to special. Take away core graphics and you can pretty much do everything else on linux or unix it just does it in a slightly different way.
Hm. You could say the same about Windows. Many here would say that the advantage lies in the OS/supporting apps.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 07:17

Quote:
Welcome to the world of technology.
No, Welcome to the world of apple that needs to keep pushing different designs/hardware to keep it's postition and push higher up. It has more to do with company politics than it does technology.

Quote:
Hm. You could say the same about Windows. Many here would say that the advantage lies in the OS/supporting apps.
Yes you can, but then i ain't moving to windows. I already have a high spec PC running linux. The final straw for me was last night when my 1 year old Emac's monitor started to fritz up, thought it was my eyes at first when on closer inspection the screen is indeed jumping up and down. As of this morning i took out the drives,memory and battery and took great pleasure it throughing it into a skip

That just leaves me with a dual G4 and me G5 which i am arranging to give to a national charity.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-23, 07:24

I'm the CEO of the "Human Fund" ™ - throw 'em my way.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-23, 07:26

*snore*

Quote:
The advantage of using a mac was the hardware now it's just about the software
Wait... you actually believed in those laughable Photoshop bake-offs? Or is all of your software thoroughly optimized with AltiVec code?

Quote:
Take away core graphics and you can pretty much do everything else on linux or unix it just does it in a slightly different way.
So, why did you start using Macs in the first place? Why have you owned several of them? Can you honestly say it's because of the PPC chip? If so, you should have gotten a PPC with Linux on it instead.

Quote:
That just leaves me with a dual G4 and me G5 which i am arranging to give to a national charity.
Why don't you give it to me? I'd even pay a few hundred quid for 'em. They'll continue to be supported by Apple and others and will run great software for years to come. Of course, you'd realize that if you'd actually put together some common sense with a little research.

Quote:
I've been a mac user for over 4 years and i'll be damned if i'm going to help make apple any richer just so i can have a warm feeling of bells & whistles and live in somewhat discontent to know that i've helped refuel steve's jet.
I see what you mean. Yeah, I'd rather be stick my head in the sand and continue to buy computers with a dead-end processor while the rest of the industry moves ahead to use faster, smaller, and cooler chips too.

Yeah, I guess your G4 instantly was dropped from support and immobilized itself on your desk the day the G5 was announced, just like your G5 stopped working the day the Intel Macs were announced. Sucks to be you? Meanwhile, all the rest of us continue to have great working hardware that will continue to work and get new software through the rest of the normal PC life cycle.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 07:43

Ah Brad, i have done my research and know all about dual binaries *snore*
you've missed my point or perhaps i havent been clear enough, It's about the politics and the assumption that mac users will do what ever apple decides and keep buying apple hardware at apple prices. I bought an ipod mini (1st gen ones) and silly me believed the hype that my battery will last 8 hours, which it does of you dont turn it off Switch it off and put the hold switch on to prevent it comming on and it drains your battery down so in a few hours you switch it on again it's almost drained.
That indeed went to oxfam and i did whta i should of done in the first place and replaced the battery in my 2nd gen ipod

As for your offer, i'd rather it help feed all the starving children in this world something you should do a bit more research into before you refuel steves jet

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 07:46

Just read your extended version of your post brad and can now honestly say that your views are completly arrorgant and biased and shows your mentality which as you take to time to make silly little pics makes you somewhat clueless

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-06-23, 07:50

Quote:
As of this morning i took out the drives,memory and battery and took great pleasure it throughing it into a skip
Christ mate, do you realise how many heavy metals you just put into landfill? Regardless of your views on Apple (which, by the way, strike me as being just a little hyperbolic), the least you could do is find a computer recycler to give it to.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 07:51

it aint going in a landfill, It gets reclycled

staph
Microbial member

2005-06-23, 07:55

Quote:
Just read your extended version of your post brad and can now honestly say that your views are completly arrorgant and biased and shows your mentality which as you take to time to make silly little pics makes you somewhat clueless
By the way, ad hominem attacks on the forum administrator are not a good way of either convincing anyone, looking cool, or of retaining your ability to post.

It may well be that that doesn't worry you too much, but just so you know.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-23, 07:58

Quote:
It's about the politics and the assumption that mac users will do what ever apple decides and keep buying apple hardware at apple prices.
Economics 101: Supply and Demand

Look it up.

Apple is a corporation and has every right to make a profit where people are willing to pay. If you've got a problem with that, you've got a problem with the majority of the free world, not just Apple.

I'll take that cluepon back now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 07:58

Not trying to convince anyone or to look cool but to let off steam and make a point.

If an admin can attack and try to make someone look stupid then said admin can kiss my ass
and i'll defend myself. Being an admin doesn;t mean you can make it personal thats just bad form

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-23, 08:01

...and posting senseless rants online is good form? My, it sure is a good way to introduce yourself as a new member of a community!

Right.

Pip pip. Cheerio.

AWR
Veteran Member

2005-06-23, 08:01

Shhhhhhh. Do you think he's passed out?

awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-06-23, 08:03

Hey Englishman,

The reason we buy everything Apple makes and give them load of money is because they work hard to give us cool products. If I wanted a ford mondeo I would have gone to the Ford Garage, everything needs replacing eventually and personally I have never resented paying more.

If you can't see passed the code and the ££ signs then youre better off with a piece of balck plastic junk. However if you want a Porche you better be able to afford it.

We are not mass market, we are an exclusive club and we like it that way - as with all decent clubs you pay for it.

Chill brother, lay back and enjoy a bit of beauty in the world.

Anger leads to the dark side it does, let go you must!!

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 08:05

Quote:
Economics 101: Supply and Demand

Look it up.

Apple is a corporation and has every right to make a profit where people are willing to pay. If you've got a problem with that, you've got a problem with the majority of the free world, not just Apple.

I'll take that cluepon back now.
No shit sherlock, But when it comes to getting ripped off i'd rather my cash goes elsewhere. As for your coupon, well, maybe just maybe you should examine your views a little deeper and get first hand experience and see small children been starved to death the next time you make that next purchase.

Something to think about aint it /End

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-23, 08:08

If you've got a beef with people making a profit, maybe you should try living in a communist country. I hear they take care of the starving children really well!

awilso

2005-06-23, 08:08

Quote:
No shit sherlock, But when it comes to getting ripped off i'd rather my cash goes elsewhere. As for your coupon, well, maybe just maybe you should examine your views a little deeper and get first hand experience and see small children been starved to death the next time you make that next purchase.

Something to think about aint it /End

Englishman sounds like a communist

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 08:10

All i can say to that Brad is get over yourself.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 08:13

Quote:
Typical cold war mentality.

staph
Microbial member

2005-06-23, 08:13

Moving on from the elitism, my take on the higher prices and cash pile is that I'm happy to pay Apple a bit more for hardware when they actually have to pay for the R&D of an entire OS, and I'd frankly prefer them to maintain a sensible pile of cash against a rainy day (such as, say, switching processors after, to paraphrase your delicate terminology, IBM f#$£ks Apple in the ass) than go under.

Apple's margins are higher than the rest of the industry, that's true. But until a year or so ago, and the advent of the iPod, they weren't make huge profits. There's a reason for that, and it's also the reason the prices are a bit higher. Deal with it. Until Apple's market share gets substantially larger or they scrap Mac OS in favour of Windows, it will always be the case.

It's certainly true that you can do similar things to Mac OS on Linux or Unix. I'd be tempted to say that you could extend that statement to Windows as well. That's because fundamentally an OS performs a pretty standard function, and standards-based OS's even more so. If you don't like the way Mac OS does things, well then, there's a large number of choices for you. It's a very subjective decision, however.

staph
Microbial member

2005-06-23, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilso
Hey, you'd better watch out or I'll nationalise your arse.

awilso

2005-06-23, 08:15

A red under the bed

awilso

2005-06-23, 08:16

It's already public property - just ask the Hareem

staph
Microbial member

2005-06-23, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilso
A red under the bed
Actually, I'm in bed, thank you so very much.

There's a glass of red on the floor beside me, if it makes you feel better.

Englishman
BANNED

2005-06-23, 08:18

Quote:
A red under the bed
Well in that case all the world leaders that plan to scrap the debts of poorer countries are commies aswell eh?

"Yeee Haah i got me a rootintootin commie pah!!"

i believe theres a phrase called 'redneck' in the states

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-23, 08:18

This needs to STOP. Staph, awilso, Englishman, and yes, even Brad... quit with the attacks.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-23, 08:25

of course, plugging it into an UPS to check and see if it was electrical interferance from, say, a fan would have probably been a good idea.

but hey, whatever.

i'm honestly not sure why this proc. switch is bothering people so much (assuming Intels product map actually is good). yeah the P4 sucks, but hopefully they'll be putting something else into their boxes.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-23, 08:29

Quote:
If an admin can attack and try to make someone look stupid then said admin can kiss my ass
and i'll defend myself. Being an admin doesn;t mean you can make it personal thats just bad form
That I couldn't agree more with.