Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Flash Ads....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flash Ads....
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-08-23, 09:40

Recently I switched my default browser to OW from Safari and I ran into a small problem on ai.com....
the flash ads are not automatically blocked by OW's ad blocking...

In safari I have a bunch of rules to basically block every image coming from appleinsider.com but I'd rather have a more targeted approach with OW...

does anyone have any suggestions on how best to get rid of the flash ads?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-08-23, 10:09

Open site preferences (cmd-opt-,), select the ad blocking tab, and on the deny list add the following:

.*\.swf

That should do it (it may take a couple of reloads to stick); being the site preferences it will only affect AI.com.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-23, 11:36

the other solution is to not go to .com.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-23, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
the other solution is to not go to .com.
I couldn't have thought of a better solution myself!

If you want to *really* block the ads so they don't actually download (PithHelmet only blocks the *display* of ads; they still load invisibly), then you can edit your /etc/hosts file to deny access to the various ad servers. That gleefully blocks 99% of the ads I come across (and it works across *all* browsers).

Once you add entries to the hosts file (you have to do it as root), if you're running 10.3.x you'll have to quit your web browser and run the command "lookupd -flushcache" in the terminal to force the DNS cache to look at the updated file.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.