AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

flash inside of flash?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
flash inside of flash?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-05-04, 19:28

I have a flash movie I am making too sell my paintball gun on ebay. I feel the better it looks the more likely someone will buy it, so I always try and make things better looking.

Now I was going to just code all of it and have it look something like this page although with flash movies and positioning it's not easy to do; especially on ebay's page because it messes with positioning and modify's my stuff. I've tried different types of positioning, and a few different things. I wish they let you use iframes.

So I've decided just to make a flash movie and use that, however the little flash animation I grabbed that is on the page I linked to has become a problem. Is there a way to take it into flash and have it act the same without changing things? I tried bringing it in as a movie clip, but it took away all their actionscript. Before I go in and redo it all, is there a way to just bring it in and have it work?
greenleaf

2006-05-04, 20:19

there is a way to load entire swf files inside another swf file using action script if that is what you are after, I am not well versed enough to explain it but this might help - tutorial on loading external swfs inside a flash movie
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/transitions.htm
mooty

2006-05-05, 10:22

Just add it the same way you add images and sound to the library... Doesnt that work?
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-05, 10:31

For some reason, this thread makes me think of ...

dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-05-05, 12:20

Look up loadmovie() in your Help. Basically you put a container movie clip in as a placeholder and use loadmovie() to reference/replace it with your external .swf.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-05, 22:18

Bad idea to attempt humor in the Nook, I guess. Maybe I should try to explain. Since this is the Nook, some code might help:

Code:
main() { drawBox(); } sub drawBox() { drawGirl(); } sub drawGirl() { drawBox(); }
When I was a kid, this butter box really blew my mind. Picture of girl holding box with picture of girl holding box, ad infinitum. Now I realize that it was actually my first recursive experience. I haven't been the same since.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-05-08, 11:11

I've done this successfully, let me see if I can help you.

I made a box that was the size of my movie file and defined it as a button named 'exampleMovie_btn' then applied this ActionScript to that button...

Code:
exampleMovie_btn.onRelease = function() { loadMovieNum("video/march/video.swf",1); };
When the visitor clicks on the button it calls the function that loads the movie "video.swf" at the end of the filepath specified.

It's been two months since I did this so it's all run out of my ears, but the point is that it works nicely, especially working with an FLV file - the file doesn't automatically load in the background... the user has to invoke the SWF movie that plays the FLV file. Anyway, anything else you ask me is bound to receive a reply that is fuzzy and incoherent.... still, this is a solid way to make it work.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter