Anyone played the BioShock demo yet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone played the BioShock demo yet?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-08-16, 02:39

I am so veeery excited about this game...

Anyone download it yet? Impressions?

/rant

Of course, even though we pay the same rate as everyone else, deems anyone outside the US to be second class citizens and keeps us waiting a few more days for the demo... And then for some reason they lock out everyone in Asia from downloading it, based on regions according to the useless message XBox Live coughs up for an excuse. I wonder if the game creators know that...

Of course it could simply be because their shoddy server system is crippled.. But even so should be ashamed of themselves, and / or reduce the price of XBox Live overseas if they only supply a fraction of their services there.

Makes you wonder why people pirate stuff, doesn't it!

/rant

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
neiltc13

2007-08-16, 05:30

I live in the UK and played this the day it was released - I didn't realise there were any regional restrictions on it.

As for the demo, hmm. I don't really see what the fuss is about. It's a shooter and it's underwater. A novel concept I guess and one that certainly makes it stand out from all the Halo/Killzone/Gears of War "You are a marine, here come the aliens!" crap, but the gameplay was just another first person shooter.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-08-16, 08:52

Hey, you could've spent 12 hours downloading the demo like some people that tried the second it showed up on the marketplace. They seem to have this sorted now (although it happens with every big demo release). Hopefully you'll be able to mess with the beautiful insanity that is the BioShock demo soon.

I've been on the fence about this game since last year. There was a beta demo released after E3 last year and it turned me off on the game mechanics. Seems they polished that up a bit because the controls seemed much more intuitive this time around. The demo I played over the last two days thought have sold me on this game.

Just wish I had been in the loop enough to snag it from Toys R Us on Monday when they broke the street date for this game. Yesterday morning they sent out a corporate memo pulling the game from the shelves until the 21st so I have to wait until next week to get my grubby hands on a copy.

While we're talking about delays, how about Flatout: Ultimate Carnage? This game has been on the shelves around the world sans North America for a month now and the release date has been delayed again until sometime in October. MS hasn't even released the demo in NA yet.
neiltc13

2007-08-16, 09:44

USA people are always a bit clueless about the ways around regional restrictions because they need to do it so infrequently. Just set up an Xbox Live silver account in an EU country and you'll get all of their content, except the premium stuff.

I did this to get Aegis Wing, a free XBLA game only released in North America for some stupid reason. I also used this account yesterday to get my hands on the North America only Beautiful Katamari demo.

Flatout UC is a fantastic game and was well worth the budget pricetag. Try the demo today!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-16, 11:53

Yep. Yesterday. Loved it. Can't wait. I just don't know whether I should buy it for PC or Xbox. Waiting on the reviews...
neiltc13

2007-08-16, 12:02

I just ordered BioShock. If anyone in the UK wants to get it a couple of days ahead of release then ShopTo.net have the Xbox 360 version for just £32.99. I've used them for my last few games preorders and not one has come on the day of release - all arrived one or two days early!
BenP

2007-08-16, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Yep. Yesterday. Loved it. Can't wait. I just don't know whether I should buy it for PC or Xbox. Waiting on the reviews...
Game Informer gave it a perfect 10.

http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Re...1203.13551.htm
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-08-16, 12:41

Lots of review mags and stuff are giving Bioshock very high if not highest marks. I take reviews with a pound of salt though since these review mags and sites live on advertising dollars supplied by the companies making the products being reviewed.

I place much more weight on the demo myself. The demo was silky smooth and the way they used a gamma box when setting brightness so everyone saw Rapture the same way said to me Irrational was serious about engrossing people in their world.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-16, 12:54

BioShock is going to rock the reviews, I guarantee it. It'll EASILY get above a 90% on Metacritic, and I am predicting a 9.4 on my go-to game site, GameSpot.

I mean, it just has everything going for it. Great graphics, especially with the water effects (which there are a lot of, since it takes place in an underwater city), spectacular gameplay enhancements, simply due to the sheer amount of variety and options the game provides you with, a spectacular, creepy, engrossing evironment, great voice acting, which is used extensively, and the list goes on. This game is gonna be big. One of the many huge games coming out over the next four months.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-16, 13:13

All the hype and what I've seen of this game are making me regret going PS3 rather than 360. I'm still waiting patiently for an exclusive game worth playing on the PS3. If the damned Xbox weren't so unreliable, ugly and noisy, it would be in my entertainment center right now rather than the PS3.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-08-16, 14:43

Bioshock is coming out for Windows too, if you have a gaming computer.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-16, 14:47

MBP 2.2ghz. I'll see it'll do.
neiltc13

2007-08-16, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
MBP 2.2ghz. I'll see it'll do.
It may struggle a little having only 128MB of VRAM.

Anyway, this game was just announced for Steam and is now available to preload for US$54.95 + Tax.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-16, 21:13

torifile, don't worry good PS3 stuff is on the way.... Can't think what right now.. But I am sure Sony have a plan! In the meantime I am having fun with mine hacking around inside it...

With regards to PC or 360 for BioShock.. From what I have heard the difference is miniscule. Which if true is quite impressive. The one nice thing about console games is that they are written to run on a known constant, where as PC games can be affected by strange hardware configurations, or simply bad OS installs. For BioShock I'd go with the console version.

As of today XBox Live now tells me I cannot download John Woos new game demo, or BioShock. Both have different cryptic messages. Neither of them make any sense. For that reason alone I am still rooting for Sony to destroy the XBox again. I do so loathe the evil ones.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-16, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
All the hype and what I've seen of this game are making me regret going PS3 rather than 360. I'm still waiting patiently for an exclusive game worth playing on the PS3. If the damned Xbox weren't so unreliable, ugly and noisy, it would be in my entertainment center right now rather than the PS3.
Warhawk, Aug 28. Should be awesome.
Lair, Sept 4. Has potential.
Heavenly Sword, Sept 12. Will be awesome. <---- IMHO, will be remembered the first great PS3 game.
Haze, ??: Has potential.
UT3, ??? 08: Should be awesome.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-16, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
With regards to PC or 360 for BioShock.. From what I have heard the difference is miniscule. Which if true is quite impressive. The one nice thing about console games is that they are written to run on a known constant, where as PC games can be affected by strange hardware configurations, or simply bad OS installs. For BioShock I'd go with the console version.
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. Games that are developed with a console in mind are rarely superior on the PC, c.f. Oblivion.

Games that go the other way, that start on PC and go to console, c.f. F.E.A.R. tend to be best on the PC.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-08-17, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Warhawk, Aug 28. Should be awesome.
Lair, Sept 4. Has potential.
Heavenly Sword, Sept 12. Will be awesome. <---- IMHO, will be remembered the first great PS3 game.
Haze, ??: Has potential.
UT3, ??? 08: Should be awesome.
I thought UT3 was an 11/07 release for PS3, then came our for the 360 in '08?

All I know if Mark Rein still seems a bit ticked Epic had to charge for the GOW map pack for the 360 (which becomes a free download on 9/3). PC is now getting GOW content that wasn't and won't be released for 360 & I think PC and PS3 versions of UT3 will support user mods while the 360 version won't.
washington mac user
can't read

2007-08-17, 23:07

check out this link of Bioshock Reviews:

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/793.../articles.html
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-08-18, 09:56

I forgot about this game demo -- grabbing it now. It's going pretty quickly on my 15 mbps cable in Va. 20% after 3 minutes!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-18, 09:59

Yah but when is it coming out for Intel Macs?
washington mac user
can't read

2007-08-20, 20:25

looks like you might want to buy the PC version over the 360 version:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...s-it-delicious
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-20, 20:48

Perhaps not...

Quote:
On the flip side, you do need a rather beefy system to run this well, but the game does take advantage of all the power you have. The textures look much sharper on the PC version than the 360 release, and the controls work great on the PC. This isn't Oblivion, a game that was clearly designed for the consoles and then shoe-horned onto the PC.
Quote:
Still, the PC demo is worth a download, if only to see how godly your system is...or how behind the curve you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
The one nice thing about console games is that they are written to run on a known constant, where as PC games can be affected by strange hardware configurations, or simply bad OS installs. For BioShock I'd go with the console version.
washington mac user
can't read

2007-08-20, 21:18

I'm sure I could build a system right now for about 1400$ that has all the latest and greatest hardware. The bonus of it though is that I would not only use it for games, but also I would use it for work, too. I'm probably on my computer most of the time so I would also see a drastic performance boost when I just use it for normal activity and probably even with watching movies with things like PureVideo and Avivo and technologies like that.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-20, 21:33

Much cheaper than a 360.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-20, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
I'm sure I could build a system right now for about 1400$ that has all the latest and greatest hardware. The bonus of it though is that I would not only use it for games, but also I would use it for work, too. I'm probably on my computer most of the time so I would also see a drastic performance boost when I just use it for normal activity and probably even with watching movies with things like PureVideo and Avivo and technologies like that.
You could by a Macbook and a 360 for that price. Use Parallels for all that other stuff and you'd still come out ahead.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-20, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
looks like you might want to buy the PC version over the 360 version:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...s-it-delicious
OOH downloading demo now. I have both reserved... but if the PC looks better than I'll go with the PC. My rig can handle it.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-21, 03:34

Hilarious...

My local pirate games stall has a copy of the release version of BioShock.
However, the game is not even released yet, and I still am unable to download a demo because 'It is not available in my region'.

Can you really blame people for buying this stuff off the black market when paying subscribers can't even get access to a *free* demo!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-21, 06:28

Played the demo the other night. Loved it. Fantastic graphics and game play. I love the aesthetics of the game. I have my amazon order arriving tomorrow.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-21, 12:09

Got Bioshock this morning. Awesome game but there's apparently a widescreen bug that cuts off the top and bottom of the screen on non-4:3 monitors. Are you kidding me? There were a couple of times this cost me when splicers got really close and I couldn't quite see where they were. Can this even be patched on the 360 version?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-08-21, 12:19

Wow, that seems pretty bad. Did anyone see that problem on the demo? I haven't tried the demo yet.