AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The White House takes on The Onion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The White House takes on The Onion
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-28, 16:22

White House to Onion: Stop using seal

So The Onion is being asked to take down the Presidential Seal. You know, because someone might actually think The Onion is hosting a *real* weekly presidential address.

Good to see The Onion not back down, and respond in the classy manner I would expect them to:

"Take it down? Oh yeah, well your wife SHITS BLOOD."

Sweet.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-28, 16:50

Jesus-ween

[EDIT] That's in reference to the audio clip link.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-10-28 at 18:08. Reason: clarification
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-10-28, 17:02

I remember reading the news article and thinking "how lame is this..."

This is freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, we all will be lamenting the destruction of the Onion's offices and staff in a prememptive strike by the White House against possible WMDs (weapons of mass distraction) and stockpiling of yellow cake (apparantly Johnson's birthday was coming up) based upon spurious intelligence at best (the janitor blabbed).

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-28, 17:27

LMAO!

Holy crap. Ahhh.... freedom of speech.
autodata
hustlin

2005-10-28, 17:37

Oh hell no.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2005-10-28, 17:38

Oh how I love the Onion. Jeez, you'd think with everything else going on, the White House would have better things to do than go off on a satirical newspaper. Oh well.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-10-29, 08:01

Damn that's good stuff.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-29, 08:54

Well, in my mind the White House is right in protecting it's seal. It's kinda one of those issues where even if the person isn't liked, it isn't the person as much as the position. That seal is an indication of the head of the Executive branch.

By the shear nature of the position it should be protected. It doesn't mean they can't run their parodies and bash the person using free speech. I thought the address was funny actually, but I don't think the seal should be used.

As when Clinton was in office and I was active military service. I would have taken a bullet for the President (heck now that I'm out of service and a civilian again I would do the same still). Not for Clinton, but for his position. I personal liked very little Clinton did in office, but I would protect the office itself.

In the same way I feel the seal should be protected. It would be the same as me putting an Apple logo on a home built PC and selling it under the impression that it is an Apple computer/product.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-10-29, 11:13

making the symbol more important than the amazing values and ideals it represents is bad and scary...

though personally i think they should reverse a letter or two on the seal for parody sake and to represent a certain "C" grade level of intelligence

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
scrouds

2005-10-29, 11:14

i am reminded of p-p-p-powerbook http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/
was it wrong for hm to draw on an apple to that? I'd say no.

The president, and the office should not be something that special. He is not a king, he is replacable. The seal is a representation of the office, and satircal comedy has every right to use those symbols.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-29, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
The president, and the office should not be something that special. He is not a king, he is replacable. The seal is a representation of the office, and satircal comedy has every right to use those symbols.
Yup ^^^
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-10-29, 15:13

While I personally believe that they've taken it too far into Bad Taste Country, the seal should be for public use because We The People allow the government to exist - not the other way 'round. If the administration had any cultural sense it would've allowed The Onion edition to go away without comment. How unaware do you have to be to know that any time someone protests mockery they're going to draw attention to themselves?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-29, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
How unaware do you have to be to know that any time someone protests mockery they're going to draw attention to themselves?
You'd think they would learn that in high school...

Imagine if any president started complaining about Saturday Night Live's eternal satire.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-10-29, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
i am reminded of p-p-p-powerbook http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/
was it wrong for hm to draw on an apple to that? I'd say no.

Oh my f***ing

That was the best story I've read in a loong time!

SledgeHammer

2005-10-29, 20:19

I love the Onion.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-29, 22:20

The Onion get's my vote...

And I am so pleased to hear the comments above about the President and his office being representatives of the people, and not a monarchy! Unfotunately we are living in a world where "free democracy" is becoming a code word for "fascist dictatorship", and the servants of the public believe they are actually royalty and the peasants who elected them should pay tithes and shut up until spoken to. That is not the way it should be.

I think we need more of the Onion, and less of our current breed of 'politicians' on a global scale.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-30, 09:55

What the White House people are too stupid to realize is that the Onion is going to totally pwn them.