User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Cant hide from dock!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cant hide from dock!
MDK

2005-11-02, 05:03

I have Protools... and it launches this little program every time I play anything that involes sound. I need this program but i HATE seeing it in the dock! Is there a way I can hide it.

I tried an app called "Hide From Dock" but it says it cannot modify my dock file. Does any one know the solution?

Thanks
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-02, 10:19

1. Find that app in the finder.
  2. Control-click or right-click it and choose Show Package Contents.
  3. Open Contents.
  4. Open Info.plist in TextEdit or your plaintext editor of choice.
  5. Add this near the very end of the document before the final closing </dict> tag:
    Code:
    <key>NSUIElement</key> <string>1</string>
    Each should be on its own line and each needs a preceding tab.
  6. Save.
Now, the next time that app launches, it should not appear in the Dock. You may have to clear your caches and log out first, though.

WARNING: This is generally not advisable because once an app is removed from the Dock like this, there is no way for you to get to it if it doesn't have a window visible. You cannot command-tab to it. If it doesn't have a window visible, you cannot Exposé to it. It can become forever stuck in limbo until you kill it manually from the Terminal or log out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MDK

2005-11-03, 01:04

thanks but show package contents wasnt there.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-11-03, 01:59

Are you sure?
Just to be sure, this is what Brad means:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-03, 02:13

Well, if it's an older non-package Carbon application, then that menu item won't show up. ProTools is a legacy app and might fit that description.