User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hello all
mextel
Cooler Than windowsrookie

Send a message via AIM to mextel  
2006-06-26, 20:34

Well I am new to this forum and to Apple as well for that matter. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions if this is the correct place.
I currently am a PC person looking to convert to MAC, 1 reason is because I really like the way MACS are made. I have 2 PC's one is running Windows XP and the other is on Linux tri-boot. (SUSE 10.1, Fedora 5, Redhat 9).
One of my concerns before I purchase the MACbook is will I be able to add Linux and Windows to the new Intel MACS? If so, Is it easy? I do know my way around a MAC a little being that it is UNIX based and my fiance has a G4 Powerbook that she uses for Web and Graphic design. Any information that you may provide me will be very helpful and appreciative. Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-26, 20:39

Welcome to AppleNova!

1. It's Mac, not MAC. MAC is an acronym with several very different meanings unrelated to Apple computers.

2. Yup, it's fairly easy and straightforward to add Windows to the new Intel-based Macs. I believe Linux is doable too, but requires a bit more footwork.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-26, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mextel
One of my concerns before I purchase the MACbook is will I be able to add Linux and Windows to the new Intel MACS?
Yes.

Quote:
If so, Is it easy?
Absolutely. You'll need to install a firmware update, but that's pretty much it. Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP definitely work; many other distros probably will, too.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-06-26, 20:48

Obligatory link to Boot Camp (for adding Windows in a dual-boot config) seems appropriate now.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-26, 20:50

Also, if you want virtualization, there's Parallels, though that's commercial. It will let you run Mac OS X, Linux and Windows XP all side-by-side at very acceptable performance.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-06-26, 20:57

I think it makes Brad happy every time he has an opportunity to make a "MACronym" correction post.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2006-06-26, 21:10

appreciated, not appreciative.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-26, 21:19

PowerBook. Not Powerbook.
chucker

2006-06-26, 21:29

Jeez guys, I don't think we need to point every single mistake in that post.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-26, 21:43

I was just trying to fit in. anyways, welcom mextel.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-06-26, 21:50

Go for it, I don't think you'll ever look back. My cousin switched and she hasn't.

Welcome to the forums mextel!
mextel

2006-06-27, 10:54

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies. Thanks usually people take days before they reply, I think I'm going to like this place. I may go this weekend to buy my MACbook(jk) Macbook after all. If its that easy to dual boot, than I agree to never wanting to go back, because like I said before I like the look and feel of my fiance's PowerBook. Thanks again, I hope to learn more from this site.

BTW: where would I find out how to also boot Linux, I would ultimately want to have Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-27, 11:01

Welcome.

Don't eat anything the moderators give you.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-06-27, 11:10

Don't ask for a user title. You will regret it for the rest of your applenova life.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-27, 11:14

Hey now. Once and a while people get decent ones. You only get a crappy one if you earn it.
mextel

2006-06-27, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Don't ask for a user title. You will regret it for the rest of your applenova life.
I'll make sure and note that.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-06-27, 17:46

Oooh yeah, keep away from those user titles. (Not that I know from experience.) Look at windowsrookie's current one (though he suggested it.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-27, 17:59

Welcome to the boards. Hope you don't have really thin skin, or you'll end up crying and leaving.

But if you can handle the abuse, this place is kind of fun. Lots of cool people here.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-28, 00:24

He's talking about ME.

(crying, I mean)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-06-28, 01:51

^

Welcome mextel - totally unrelated to the thread, but your login name reminds me of this ad.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-06-28, 04:39

Heh. Why do I think drewprops post was anonymously edited by an Admin.