AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

A pretty, red, charitable iPod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A pretty, red, charitable iPod
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-12, 16:43

Looks good to me. That picture is only a mockup, but that deep red would suit me just fine, as well as my feeling of wellbeing

Appleinsider article

Same price, with 10 bucks going to AIDS charity, and its pretty much a given that its gonna happen, since the segment has already been filmed.

Last edited by Fahrenheit : 2006-10-12 at 16:52.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-12, 16:54

This has been rumored for a while. It makes way more sense than the comeback of the U2 iPod...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-10-12, 17:04

I happen to like this color over all the others. It would be nice if they (Nano's) looked like the ads. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll get a blue one for me later, but I do like this red. That is, if it is real.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-12, 17:16

See, I guess I don't see why people should get any other color besides red now. Don't get me wrong, I like the green one, but to me, it just seems kinda selfish to deny the Global Fund $10 just to get a color that I liked better. Of course, if you make a donation to the Global Fund yourself, that's different entirely. And I'm aware that my logic could be extended to say "It seems kinda selfish to buy an iPod nano at all, when you could donate $200 to the Global Fund!" It's just...idunno. The red iPod gets $10 to woman and children in Africa. That'd be the one I'd get, even though red isn't my favorite color.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-10-12, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
See, I guess I don't see why people should get any other color besides red now. Don't get me wrong, I like the green one, but to me, it just seems kinda selfish to deny the Global Fund $10 just to get a color that I liked better. Of course, if you make a donation to the Global Fund yourself, that's different entirely.
See I don't see it the same. I understand the thought line, but I already give where I feel led to give. Why should it be questioned why I didn't buy the red when a portion of the goes to some fund? (While I happen to like the red one best, I wouldn't be buying it so my money will go to a good cause, just so I could get the color I want.) I can give my money on my own if I really want to support that cause, but it shouldn't ever be questioned why someone is or isn't willing to give. This isn't to justify my stance, but I don't feel led to give to this cause. I only have so much money to give. Is it really so wrong if I get the blue one instead of red?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-10-12, 17:36

Huh... I'm just one block form the Michigan Ave Apple store right now. I'll swing by there on my way home to see if they still have the demos up. I don't have my camera on me, but maybe I can rig something together with one of the iSight cameras in the store.

CitizenTony

2006-10-12, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
See, I guess I don't see why people should get any other color besides red now. Don't get me wrong, I like the green one, but to me, it just seems kinda selfish to deny the Global Fund $10 just to get a color that I liked better. Of course, if you make a donation to the Global Fund yourself, that's different entirely. And I'm aware that my logic could be extended to say "It seems kinda selfish to buy an iPod nano at all, when you could donate $200 to the Global Fund!" It's just...idunno. The red iPod gets $10 to woman and children in Africa. That'd be the one I'd get, even though red isn't my favorite color.
I can see this line of thought, but for myself I prefer to donate directly instead of buying products that do it for me. I've never felt the need to advertise where and how much I donate by buying red iPods or pink DS lites. I don't wear yellow bracelets, nor do I have a ribbon on the back of my car.

This seems more of a "now you can buy our pink/red/yellow/whatever product and feel better because a small portion went to a charity. It makes the company look good, because they 'care' by offering the option at all.

Having said all that, stuff like this brings people that would normally never donate to a cause, to donate. Whether their reason be to look like a supporter to their peers, or if they really do care, the charity gets much needed money and publicity which is a great thing.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-12, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
See I don't see it the same. I understand the thought line, but I already give where I feel led to give. Why should it be questioned why I didn't buy the red when a portion of the goes to some fund? (While I happen to like the red one best, I wouldn't be buying it so my money will go to a good cause, just so I could get the color I want.) I can give my money on my own if I really want to support that cause, but it shouldn't ever be questioned why someone is or isn't willing to give. This isn't to justify my stance, but I don't feel led to give to this cause. I only have so much money to give. Is it really so wrong if I get the blue one instead of red?
Yeah, I ammended my post. I can see both sides of it...although if I got a green one, I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't donate at least $10 to Global Fund.

I guess maybe I'm more "tuned in" to stuff like this then some other people are (not saying that you're not or anything), especially AIDS. I'm thinking that when I start my film studio, I'll donate like 10% of all profits to charity, a la Coldplay in their early days. There are so many people who need my money more than I do. Maybe growing up (relatively) poor taught me that?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-12, 17:45

Apple might as well just give $5 of every iPod to charity. They could have a special iPod fund. Make them look nice as well.

La, la, la...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-12, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post
Having said all that, stuff like this brings people that would normally never donate to a cause, to donate.
Yeah, that's what I think is the best about all this. Some people on other forums were criticizing people for not donating all $200 of it, but I think we all know that that probably isn't going to happen.

jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2006-10-12, 18:12

Looks like its going to happen:

Strange that Apple seem to be quite 'open' about this release.

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-12, 18:24

A striking red. I like it.

PS: Woo! I got an exclusive post that paid off

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-12, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaapplegeek View Post
Strange that Apple seem to be quite 'open' about this release.
Well, it's hard to hide that they're changing the Apple logo at the Fifth Avenue store to glow red!

I'm glad to see Apple giving this the attention it deserves. Hopefully, it's good for both the Global Fund and iPod sales.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-10-12, 20:09

I love that colour! It's the best nano after the black one.

That said, I wouldn't want to feel pressured into buying a colour that I didn't really like (if I didn't like it). It seems silly when you think about it that they don't just donate money from every iPod, not just a specific red one.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-10-12, 20:35

Well, they're not entirely open about it. At the Michigan Ave store, everything was back to normal by the time I made it there (6:30 or so). I wonder when they will officially announce it.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-10-13, 00:04

It really does look amazing.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-10-13, 05:33

Hmmmmm........Nice colour. But i'd rather just buy an ipod, and then donate to who ever i choose. I do not feel the need to tell the world what i am doing. Having said that it's a nice idea well done Apple.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

CitizenTony

2006-10-13, 05:38

From that small picture it does look nice. Looks like they went with white plastic so I assume the click wheel will be white as well. Reminds me of Coca-Cola for some reason.

Mikester

2006-10-13, 06:23

Obviously, this should be moved to the Apple Products section now.

Not available in the UK though - so annoying.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-13, 07:07

Agreed. Mods, can you lock it?

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-13, 07:09

That red is smokin' hot. Any indication of how long they'll be selling this? I can't buy one yet, but it's a possibility in the spring.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-13, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Obviously, this should be moved to the Apple Products section now.
Correctamundo.

Feel free to post in the Apple Products thread now that it's official.