Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Some things never change...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Some things never change...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-07, 16:24

...Braves fans are once again demonstrating themselves to be the worst in baseball. What a bunch of fair-weather, lame-ass-chop-having wankers. Every year I turn on the TV to see if anything has changed in the hearts and minds of the world's most un-knowledgeable fans, and to my chagrin, every year I see more empty playoff seats than the previous year.

Losers. I bet if they make it to the World Series though, it will fill up quick!

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-07, 16:26

It's old hat to us. We figure we'd let others enjoy it for a change.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-10-07, 16:43

the chop is soooo lame. it's not even original, they stole it from FSU.

the worst sight i've ever seen was jimmy carter sitting in the front row doing the chop. sad.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-07, 16:46

Yeah! Go Cubs!

Wait...

<reads paper>

crap

I remember during the NLDS last year between the Cubs and Braves, Turner field became known as Wrigley Field South as it consistently drew more Cub fans than Braves fans.

Pro Player Stadium was next to earn the distinction of being Wrigley Field South for the same reasons, however, the outcome of the NLCS was not much to my liking.

Come waste your time with me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-07, 16:54

I know losing in the playoffs is frustrating but the fans in Atlanta are the biggest bunch of spoiled losers in all of sport. I mean, their team has won the division 13 straight years I think, and in those years they did have one Series victory and a couple other very close calls.

I don't see how they can leave seats empty like that. It's pathetic and demoralizing to the team. In fact I would go so far as to suggest the Braves' lack of post season success has a lot to do with their crappy fans not showing up (and the ones who do are about as boisterous as 15,000 mutes).

PS - the Cubs thing in Atlanta last year was great. I loved every second of it. Shows you how real fans operate.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-07, 16:59

I'm telling you, I think it's just not a huge deal to many anymore. I'm not being flippant but after over a decade of always in the post-season, maybe people in Atlanta just got to a "eh..." point, figuring there were better things to do?

Like Cris on the back 9, g. And smackin' da ho's and whatnot.

Ask LoCash, he lives there. He'll tell you.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-07, 22:20

Actually, they did the "eh" behavior after losing the 96 series... they've been leaving seats empty for almost a decade. As fans of anything but football, they suck, period. Doesn't matter whether you go to a Braves game, a Hawks game or a Thrashers game... the only fans worthy of being called "fans" in Atlanta, root for either the "dawgs", "jackets" or Falcons. Football, football, football. That's all anyone down there knows or gives a shit about.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 07:50

Well then, they're stupid because football sucks a big one.

Not nearly as much as hockey, of course, but a close second.

[running for my life...bye!]
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-08, 08:13

You man-whore!

>>Scates<<

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-10-08, 08:48

I guess poker is more your "sport", eh, Paul? Or tiddlywinks? And if you're really into the outdoorsy stuff, croquet, anyone?
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-08, 08:58

I can see Braves fans being jaded. At least they have a partial excuse. Athletics fans on the other hand have no excuse. The Coliseum isn't a cold, soulless behemoth, but it's not the worst ballpark in baseball by a longshot.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-08, 09:41

Can people still afford to go to baseball games, much less play off games? The cost for a day at the ballpark is totally fucking ridiculous in my opinion....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 10:21

You've hit the nail totally on the head there. No, you can't. A family of four (mom, dad, two kids) are going to drop at least $200 to attend a ballgame at a typical mid-market team. And I've done it so I don't want anyone chiming in with any "that's not true" bullcrap, because it most certainly is.

Factor in parking, ticket prices (ridiculous in and of themselves, even the "cheap seats"), maybe a program so you can tell who's who? $10. And I'm sorry, going to a ballgame without eating and drinking just isn't right, so tally in those $4.25 20oz. sodas, $5.75 beers, $3.75 hot dogs, $3.50 nachos, etc., multiply x4, etc. and you can see that a "night out with the family" is pretty tough for many people. I'm not rich, my family isn't. Strictly blue-collar, working class middle income. Going to a Braves game was a big deal when I was younger, but I know my parents had to plan for it. It's even worse now. A lot worse (see above).

May as well go to Disneyworld and truly have some fun if that's the type of money you're going to wind up spending.

And that's just a family of four. What if it was mom, dad, 3-4 kids, grandpa and Aunt Meredith? You're gonna bust $400 without even trying!

All to pay for some bottle-throwing, underplaying, "performance enhancer"-riddled ego case/low-rent, graceless thug.

Fuck 'em. All of 'em.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-10-08 at 10:29.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-10-08, 11:21

I love the game, I'd go to a baseball game every day if I could. The current ego-case, steroid problem players are just a wave in the long history of the sport. Baseball has always and will always be the most mystical sport, the dramatic events that can occur at a snap, before your head can pop up from the cracker-jack box, those kinds of things makes the game so lovable.

Larry Bowa (the Phillies recently fired Manager) just said something in a statement to the effect of, "There is nothing like playing in October, if you haven't played in October as player then you don't know what you're missing. The tingling feeling, the smell of the grass, the crisp autumn nights..."

Those kinds of things make baseball so enjoyable to me. It's so aesthetic, and not as showy or egregious as the other sports. Football is close to baseball, but basketball has turned into the real joke.

I'd pay 200 dollars to see a game, if I only went once a year. If I wanted to go more times, I'd go by myself. And take it all in.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-08, 19:40

NLDS bleacher tickets were $21 here, perfectly reasonable, IMO. Too bad the tickets I bought are useless... (I do get a full refund.) Season tickets are a decent investment. You can share with a few of your friends and then sell the big games on eBay, craigslist or whatever.