Anyone played the BioShock demo yet?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-21, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Wow, that seems pretty bad. Did anyone see that problem on the demo? I haven't tried the demo yet.
I noticed the field of view but I thought it was supposed to be like that. Having seen screen shots of full screen play, there's a definite difference in vertical information.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-21, 18:52

Wow, I didn't even notice it, but yes, the bottom of the screen is horribly cut off. Shits weak. I cant see past the top of my palm. I thought that was normal but now that I see it, it bothers the shit out of me.

Otherwise, the game is SWEET. Buy it now if you haven't already, they'll patch that pretty quick, I imagine. And even if they don't it doesn't kill the game.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-21, 19:56

Are you playing on the PC or the 360 version?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-08-21, 20:07

I played the 360 demo at a friend's house two days ago, and dear god, it looks so awesome. Very impressive game. Very creepy.

It's the atmosphere that makes it, really. New gameplay elements can easily come across as gimmicky, but the setting is really top-notch. You're not in space battling aliens. The whole "magnificent vista on an alien planet" thing was kinda neat, but Halo and Halo 2 played that out. BioShock, on the other hand, has all sorts of campy 50s throwbacks that constantly reminded me of the Fallout series. You've got the overly cheery music and artwork, art-deco styling everywhere, all of which clashes with the violent nature of it all. It's really cool. And the game is a lot better than Doom 3 at scaring me. That little girl, singing Farajaka while stabbing a corpse repeatedly with an oversized hypodermic needle, gave me the chills.

I don't have a system that can play it at all, but my friend has a 360. And someday, I'll probably have one of those too, so I'll be able to play it as well.

Also, I feel for you guys living in other countries. I don't know why they have to artificially hold back games from release in other countries or regions. It doesn't cost them anything extra to do so… what do they have to lose? I guess you might have all sorts of licensing issues, but still, I don't get it. And it's a piece of software, so it's not like Sony or Nintendo releasing their portable systems first in Japan. Shipping reams of game DVDs is not the same as shipping English-language versions of the latest game console.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-21, 20:23

Alright, I have to play this demo. Now.

Where can I get it? I tried downloading it from two places today, and both had me wait for over an hour just to then show me an error instead of the actual download link. Are there any places that are less tacky (and more reliable) than fileshack et al?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-08-21, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Can this even be patched on the 360 version?
For sure.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-21, 20:55

Quote:
Are you playing on the PC or the 360 version?
360. And I hope the patch comes soon. The zoomed FOV is really making it hard to focus on the game for any extended period of time. I don't know why 2k thought this was okay...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-21, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
360. And I hope the patch comes soon. The zoomed FOV is really making it hard to focus on the game for any extended period of time. I don't know why 2k thought this was okay...
I'm just trying to ignore it. But I've noticed several other graphical glitches already. They're minor but I wonder if there are going to be showstoppers down the road - in the medical complex, I can see a wad of dollars, but I can't get to them. I mean I can *get* to them, but I can't pick them up. There's also a security camera that I can't quite see that's gotten me every time. It's just where the FOV should extend to.

But, as Luca said, the atmosphere is superb.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-08-21, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Alright, I have to play this demo. Now.

Where can I get it? I tried downloading it from two places today, and both had me wait for over an hour just to then show me an error instead of the actual download link. Are there any places that are less tacky (and more reliable) than fileshack et al?
If you have Steam, then you can get it from the games area. That's how I'm downloading it (87% dl right now).
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-21, 21:25

No Steam, I don't play games I will need to do this in a browser. I guess I'll just have to wait for the big wave of downloads to die down and then get it from somewhere ...
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-08-21, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
No Steam, I don't play games I will need to do this in a browser. I guess I'll just have to wait for the big wave of downloads to die down and then get it from somewhere ...
Making me search, of course now I find a link. I originally tried to DL via browser before checking to see if Steam had it.

http://games.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-19377.html
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-21, 21:33

Thanks for searching but that was one of the two sites I tried and that didn't work. Doesn't seem to work right now either. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-21, 21:34

OK. So I am really really pissed now... (Thanks for the sympathy Luca )

If you want the full game it's all over the web, as well as all over the street here in downtown BKK on high quality Sony DVD's for around USS$3... But can you get the demo out of XBox Live? No.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-21, 22:48

Quote:
I'm just trying to ignore it. But I've noticed several other graphical glitches already. They're minor but I wonder if there are going to be showstoppers down the road - in the medical complex, I can see a wad of dollars, but I can't get to them. I mean I can *get* to them, but I can't pick them up. There's also a security camera that I can't quite see that's gotten me every time. It's just where the FOV should extend to.

But, as Luca said, the atmosphere is superb.
Gotta get those security cameras. Did you get the tonic that delays the time it takes for them to see you? Or the tonic that shortens the alarm time? I have both, but I only have enough slots for one...

Guess I'll just go harvest some more little girls, then.

scratt
Veteran Member

2007-08-21, 23:53

Perhaps might be a good time to start using spoilers, please.....

Or I might have to go see my man in the street for an 'advance' copy.

Thanks guys.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-08-22, 01:09

I dunno, I figured since it's only a demo, there's only so much that could conceivably be spoiled. It takes twenty minutes, max, to get through all of the demo content.

I think people should put spoiler tags if they reveal anything that happens past the demo. And no one should say how the demo ends exactly - it has a nice ending, but I won't say that.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-22, 05:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
Gotta get those security cameras. Did you get the tonic that delays the time it takes for them to see you? Or the tonic that shortens the alarm time? I have both, but I only have enough slots for one...
Huh?
Spoiler (click to toggle):
Tonic? Where do I get this tonic? I thought I was doing a fairly thorough job searching the building but I must have missed it. I also can't find where I got the "Incinerate" plasmid in the demo. I'm obviously past that point in the game but it was no where to be found.
Damn, I suck at games.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-08-22, 05:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
That little girl, singing Farajaka while stabbing a corpse repeatedly with an oversized hypodermic needle, gave me the chills.
[Miles off-topic]
Do you mean Frère Jacques?
Gizzer

2007-08-22, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I dunno, I figured since it's only a demo, there's only so much that could conceivably be spoiled. It takes twenty minutes, max, to get through all of the demo content.
20 minutes to get through the demo? Did you even stop to actually look around and take in the scenery?!

This is the most atmospheric game I've seen/played in a long time. 20 mins into the demo and I'd barely got through 1/3 of it (maybe even less than that!). Spent most of the time admiring closeup how they'd made the bronze statue in on the surface entrance at the very start, and just as long looking at neon tubes on the walls/art deco advertisements. Some effects are almost photo-real. Not to mention the light-play of reflections on freshly loosed blood, puddles of water on the floor etc.

Now maybe it's just me, but games as good looking as this just make me stop and take it all in. To rush around without stopping to look would be doing the developers a dis-service IMO

One seriously beautiful (but ugly taken in the context of the game) and inspired piece of work.

Will be buying it on 24th when released in the UK.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-22, 10:06

Quote:
Huh?
Tonic? Where do I get this tonic? I thought I was doing a fairly thorough job searching the building but I must have missed it. I also can't find where I got the "Incinerate" plasmid in the demo. I'm obviously past that point in the game but it was no where to be found.
Damn, I suck at games.

Incinerate moved. It isn't where it was in the demo. I don't remember where, exactly, I found it. If you get telekinesis, you've gone too far. As for the tonics, I don't remember where I found them either, but I think one of them came from a gatherers garden. As for the other one, search every nook and cranny! Its worth it. You find cool shit and even if you don't, its fun!

And don't fuck around with "freeing" little sisters. Harvest that shit. There are way too many plasmids for you to pass up perfectly good ADAM because you wanna free little girls. Their monsters, not girls, and you need all the plasmids you can get!

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-08-22, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
[Miles off-topic]
Do you mean Frère Jacques?
Yes, that's what I meant. I had no idea how to spell the thing - after all, it's French.

Also, I think I did take more than 20 minutes. I was estimating because I know it didn't take long, but I definitely did enjoy the scenery. It might have been more like an hour, but I wasn't keeping track.
Rehnquist

2007-08-22, 11:54

Downloaded it, not tried it so far.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-08-23, 09:58

Oh la la BioShock!!!

Questions:

1. How playable would BioShock be on a MBP rev. A (2GHz CD, X1600 256 MB VRAM, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7,200 RPM HD)?

2. Which version of Vista or XP would be best with Boot Cam for this purpose?

3. If I went ahead with this I would probably also use the Windows partition to run some SPSS. Would that affect the answer to question 2?

4. Is BioShock a big time-trap?

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-23, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
2. Which version of Vista or XP would be best with Boot Camp for this purpose?
Quoted for wanting to know...ism.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-23, 12:52

Since you don't have DX10 compatible video card, I can't imagine that Vista would be better than XP for running the game. That said, SPSS will run just fine in XP.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-23, 12:58

Quote:
Since you don't have DX10 compatible video card, I can't imagine that Vista would be better than XP for running the game. That said, SPSS will run just fine in XP.
True. In fact, since you cant take advantage of DX10, installing Vista would decrease performance because it consumes so many system resources.

That said, you can probably run BioShock just fine on medium-ish settings.

At this time, Vista is still completely unready for regular usage.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2007-08-23 at 13:16.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-23, 13:09

Quote:
Actually, since you cant take advantage of DX10, installing Vista would decrease performance because it consumes so many system resources.

That said, you can probably run it just fine on medium-ish settings.

At this time, Vista is still completely unready for regular usage.
Isn't that what I said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I can't imagine that Vista would be better than XP for running the game.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-23, 13:17

Quote:
Isn't that what I said?

Yeah I realized my wording was off, so I just edited it a little.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-23, 13:20

Quote:
Yeah I realized my wording was off, so I just edited it a little.
Cheater!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-23, 13:34

Quote:
Cheater!
You're just too fast!