User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Mock up forum poll

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Would You Like to See a Mock Up Forum Added to .org?
1. Yes: I would love to see a mock up forum added to .org 7 38.89%
No: I would rather have a weasel slowly chew through my ball sack than see a mockup forum at .org 6 33.33%
STFU: enough already about adding a mockup forum to .org...dang you are really starting to bug out there geld 5 27.78%
Yes to the forum, but no to having anybody run it that is from Tenn. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Mock up forum poll
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-10, 09:19

1. Yes: i would love to see a mock up forum at .org
2. No: i would rather have weasels slowly chew through my ball sack than see a mockup forum at .org
3. STFU about a mockup forum already, geld, you are buggin
4. yes to the forum, but no to anybody running it being from tenn.

how many of you would like to have a mock up forum added to this site and have pscates informally or formally run it??

thanks for the input..

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-10, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
1. Yes: i would love to see a mock up forum at .org
Sounds good.

Quote:
weasels slowly chew through my ball sack
Um...well...that is, I...er...uh...
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-10, 09:28

ok, i know a lot of you degenerates are gonna want to click on STFU and weasel chewing through your ball sack (sorry to the few ladies out there...mentally substitute weasels chewing somewhere else slowly)...

but please pick the answer that you want, not the answer that is cute...unless the answer you want is also the answer that is cute...or whatever...

nobody takes polls (or me) seriously anyway

sigh

g

latest example of pscates work for new apple displays (and boy does he work hard at these...a new one everyday it seems)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 09:38

I did not give you permission to use that. My lawyers will be in touch.

As for the poll/forum, there doesn't seem to be a demand and there isn't much of it going on. And no, I don't want anything to do with running anything.

I have a job.

If the "speculation and rumor" forum were overflowing with mockups and "what if" artwork, sure. But it's not, so LoCash probably wouldn't appreciate the extra work of creating/managing another forum that'll probably just lie there.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-10, 09:42

I say no. Who makes mockups here? pscates? Is that it? Just keep them in Speculation and Rumors, as there is no need for a separate mockup forum.

However, it might be nice to have a sticky somewhere or some kind of directory of all the mockups people have done, so you can quickly check on them.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-10, 09:42

you have a job?? wasn't it just yesterDAY, as in daytime, as in at work time, that you first put up the monitor mockup?? didn't you do a quick take on it while "hunched over" your computer so the boss wouldn't see?? mock ups and forum posts and thread starting is the best part of working....get paid to goof

g

luca...my thought is that pscates would "inspire" others to make mock ups...kinda a challenge to the geeks here

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 09:51

I'm with Luca on this.

My job has its up and down times. Lately, it's been mellow, and I've felt a bit "draw-y" (because Illustrator CS is quite an awesome thing).

gelding, I "inspire" just by my mere presence and being the all-around swell, hell-of-a-guy I am. No need to make it official...

I am, of course, kidding... (in case those smileys don't make it clear to some of you...that's been problem in the past).
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-10, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

I am, of course, kidding... (in case those smileys don't make it clear to some of you...that's been problem in the past).
*cough*
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-10, 10:28

No mockup forum. Just seems like overkill to me. Mockups can go in speculation and rumors. It's not like they get lost in there. And very few people actually do mockups here. I've done a few (that I've never posted), Paul has done a few, others (sorry, don't really remember anyone else specifically off the top of my head)

So it would be the one man mockup forum...not that much fun if you ask me.

Either that, or we'd get a slew of crappy looking ideas with ridiculous specs.

[insert picture of salad bowl with Apple BT mouse]

"OMG the new iMac G7 is teh roxer!~!!!!1one!!1"

Raise your hand if you don't want to see that...

<DMBand raises hand>

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 10:32

No, no...that wasn't for you at all! Our little miscommunication the other day was quick, and over in seconds (thankfully). A few others - and mostly at .com - have totally missed the smileys, intentionally or otherwise...and it just drags out to some big stupid thing that doesn't even need to be.

Not having the benefit of tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. makes some things - when written - come across SO different than how I've intended them. I sometimes forget, and smileys have become my friend.

I just wish they were THREE INCHES TALL, in some cases.

thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-10, 10:36

i guess my thought is that they do get lost...i still can find the minitower G5 photos anywhere that i remember from before...the small cube al one and the image that showed them in the multi-colors like the iPod minis

i would love to have one spot (maybe a sticky then in speculation forum) where you find these mock ups and photos...can be from individuals or ones you find on the web that you like

g

or how about a gallery forum that would include mock ups, show off your set up, wallpapers, themes, icons etc etc....

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 10:39

Your idea is going over GREAT, g!

Dave Matthews is right...just not a lot of mock-up activity going on these days. It would be a one man show, and that's hardly fair or fun. Plus I can't always guarantee I'd be churning stuff out. Speculation and Rumors is a fine place for them, IMO.

Hey, don't feel bad...I suggested a separate GarageBand forum at .com, but it never came to be because the need just wasn't there after all. Brad (or maybe it was LoCash?) told me "demand creates forums, and if it comes to that we'll do it...but we don't create a new forum on spec or on the chance something MIGHT be popular", or words to those effect.

And I tend to agree.

We'll just put things in Speculation and put a "CONFIRMED: TEH MOCKUP!!!" in the title header.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
i guess my thought is that they do get lost...i still can find the minitower G5 photos anywhere that i remember from before...the small cube al one and the image that showed them in the multi-colors like the iPod minis

i would love to have one spot (maybe a sticky then in speculation forum) where you find these mock ups and photos...can be from individuals or ones you find on the web that you like

g

or how about a gallery forum that would include mock ups, show off your set up, wallpapers, themes, icons etc etc....
Now a sticky WITHIN Speculation and Rumors is something I wouldn't mind. Keeps it where it needs to be (the proper forum) but nicely corrals it into one easily-navigated and -viewed spot.

I can support that idea, sure.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-10, 12:10

http://forums.appleinsider.org/showthread.php?t=472

Speaking of which, I just had an idea. Looking at your iMac mockup I was thinking, "I wonder how the screen is supposed to adjust?" Then I thought of the Edmund Scientific Astroscan telescope:

Think there could be an idea there? Basically, make the iMac look a bit more like the CRT iMac, with the monitor built right in (it would be an LCD in this case of course). Make the body spherical and add guards to prevent it from swiveling too far in a certain direction and causing damage to the screen, ports, etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 12:32

Drugs kill. Stop doing them.

On my iMac, that little "seam" line on the body (below the screen, where the display area meets the body) represents a "swivel point", where the screen rotates side-to-side. I have no method of front-to-back tilt, but I'm thinking the side-to-side is what most people would enjoy (showing something to a co-worker, for instance...side-to-side swivel probably gets used more than any other monitor adjustment, if I'M any sort of indication).

And, I realize, I'm probably not...

:embarrass
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-10, 12:39

still think it looks like a visioneer strobe scanner with the flat screen jammed on the top...but that is just me i guess

g

vs

but maybe that is the point...it is a combo of: computer, screen, scanner

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-10, 13:19

No, no scanner, smartass.

Just a long, "French bread" body with display on top, swivel-enabled.

I'd never even seen one of those kinds of scanners until you showed me yesterday. Just flatbeds and film ones. Is that an older product, or are they still made?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-06-10, 13:47

I don't think an active forum for mock-ups is that great of an idea, but I do like the idea of having an archive forum for mock-ups. I like when mock-ups seed their way into an already active thread, adds to the allure of the whole speculation rumormongering thing.

I also like when people make threads saying(not verbatim) "New g6 powerbook mockup omgwtfbbq it's a dinosaur!@141"

But, since we're a pretty small community, I think it'd be best to leave mock-ups in their respective threads, but have a searchable archive with all the mock-ups from all the forums contained inside.

thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-06-10, 14:02

Quote:
Is that an older product, or are they still made?

yep...

my old scanner with my quadra 605 was a sheetfed strobe

g
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-10, 15:00

hmm, a sticky thread with mock-ups in a forum might not be a bad idea. nice way to keep them all in the same place, w/o creating a forum that would get little traffic.

let me think it over a bit though, had too much crap going on lately.

edit: nm, seems to be in place already. enjoy.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-10, 15:21

I don't think mockups need their own forum.

But the sticky sounds good.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-10, 23:15

Aside from our good man pscates, it will be interesting to see who else posts and what else they come up with.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-10, 23:38

Yeah, come on, you guys know the drill. New forums are created when they are demanded. Come on guys The Sticky was a realistic and implementable suggestion though.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-10, 23:40

Quote:
Drugs kill. Stop doing them.
Say that again and you get teh ban with teh whipped cream!!!11one