Veteran Member

2005-04-26, 23:48

This is where the geeks will be.

"I aim to misbehave."
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-26, 23:50

yeah, top that off with a Battlestar Galactica movie and i think i could even get my wife to love Sci-Fi.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-04-26, 23:52

Cool, didnt know that was coming out.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-27, 00:06

Looks a little something like the type of sci fi the 5th element did so well.

I'll most likely see it, but I'll also see revenge of the sith
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-04-27, 00:08

the freakin title makes a very bad bad BAD visual, ya bastard

g
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 00:09

Wrao: I take it you didn't see the show Firefly then... S'okay, neither did anyone else, thanks to Fox giving it the royal screwing over. :P One of the best written shows in years, and Fox:

1) kept moving the time slot around on a whim every week... well, every week it actually *aired*...
2) rearranged the episode order on a series that actually has continuity (they aired the pilot *LAST* if that gives you any indication of how far up their asses their heads were)
3) cancelled it after 11 episodes (plus the 2hr pilot/finale), with two still unaired

If you get a chance, borrow, rent or buy the Firefly DVD set. It's truly a wonderful bit of work. Serenity is the continuation of that series. Universal has already said that greenlighting movies 2 and 3 is solely dependent on cash inflow from this one being 'reasonably good'. So far, the buzz about the film is that it is quite a bit above 'reasonably good'. Here's hoping the ticket-buying public agrees.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-04-27, 00:12

*cough* bittorrent *cough*
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
*cough* bittorrent *cough*
Normally I'd agree with you, but it was the unexpectedly *huge* sales of the DVD set that led Universal to fund the movie. Good shows deserve support.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-27, 00:25

I heard good things about firefly, never saw it though

Personally, I'm a babylon 5 dork.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-27, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
the freakin title makes a very bad bad BAD visual, ya bastard

g

Does it make you want to scream "serenity now!"
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-27, 00:26

Kickaha, I was actually going to PM you last week about the trailer release today. The firefly boards were going ape! I didn't know there were so many other fans here.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I heard good things about firefly, never saw it though

Personally, I'm a babylon 5 dork.
If you liked B5, you'll like Firefly.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 01:53

I saw the trailer the first time today, and I was struck at how finished the film looks (effects and such). And it's coming out in September. Quite a wait for the fans...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-27, 08:32

Not familiar with it. Looks like a typical sci-fi shoot-em-up scenario with an attractive female as the focal point. Was this originally a book orr....?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-27, 08:50

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or feelings, but when I saw that I just thought "looks like any one of about 133 'made for cable' mid-budget flicks they're always showing on the Sci-Fi channel...".

Just had that "Stargate"/"Battlestar Galactica" TV vibe to it. That's not necessarily a slam...it just didn't have "big screen movie" look/feel somehow.

And the logo for the things says anything BUT this type of movie. I thought it was going to be some Hong Kong-based martial arts thing with loads of wire work and Jet Li.

They did employ that trailer technique I've REALLY grown to hate (it's so overused anymore): the quick flashes of 5-12 scenes (usually something ominous or someone looking really serious), then a fade to black, usually augmented with a big percussion blast or something...and no voiceover, as if the visuals are just supposed to grab you so much, you can't HELP but go see the thing! About as much of a cliché as that "In a world..." voiceover guy.

I've learned that most movies blow their "money shots" in that montage anyway, so you finally see the real thing and you're like "ehh...so?".
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-04-27, 08:55

that's why the Hitchhiker's preview is frickin hilarious. don't know about the movie, but the trailer was a riot.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

They did employ that trailer technique I've REALLY grown to hate (it's so overused anymore): the quick flashes of 5-12 scenes (usually something ominous or someone looking really serious), then a fade to black, usually augmented with a big percussion blast or something...and no voiceover, as if the visuals are just supposed to grab you so much, you can't HELP but go see the thing! About as much of a cliché as that "In a world..." voiceover guy.

You ever see Pablo Francisco's 30 minute standup act on Comedy Central? He does the funniest skit about the 'big voice' guy.

*ACTION*

Get Down!

*MORE ACTION*

Get Down Again!

*He ran a taco stand on the corner, and the mafia wanted in.*

"We've got to get out of here!" (Say this in Ahnold voice)

*Arnold Schwarzenegger is ... The Little Taco Boy*

Definitely waaayy more funny when he does it, if you get a chance, check it out.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-27, 09:44

Yeah, I've seen that. He's great with the "movie guy" voice, and the mafia guy "I don't know who this tortilla vendor is, but I want him and his family DEAD!" voice was perfect.
¡Damned!

2005-04-27, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
"I aim to misbehave."

I loved Firefly.

*AND* Morena Baccarin is teh sex. I'll take that 'certified' type of companionship any day.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 10:41

What I wanna know is...

Who does the certification?

And more importantly...

How do I get that job?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Not familiar with it. Looks like a typical sci-fi shoot-em-up scenario with an attractive female as the focal point. Was this originally a book orr....?
Short lived TV series, but one of the better chunks of TV ever produced, IMO. Whedon really hit it on all cylinders, creating an extremely rich tapestry of characters (with depth), places, and overall feel from day one. It didn't take a season or two for it to find a voice, it had it from the opening lines of the pilot. It didn't talk down to the viewer (which is probably one reason some didn't like it - it didn't bother explaining every little thing, and you had to *gasp* think every so often), and it was very well thought out, using a few hundred years of history sketched out as the backdrop for a lot of little things. (A good chunk of the dialog is Chinese. Why? The Chinese were the first to get a toehold in space after the Euro-African War 400 years earlier. The Asian influences give it a Blade Runner feel in many ways.)

Then you have the fact that it's set at the fringe of civilized space, where colonies tend to slide in technology if they're not careful, making it feel a lot like a Western. (In fact, it's probably the best Western that was put on television since the 60s. Replace Apaches with Reavers, and a wagon with Serenity, and you've pretty much got it. Even the backstory for the captain and first mate are straight from the end of the Civil War... they weren't on the winning side.)

All in all, it was a *seriously* well done show that didn't even try and pull any punches. When was the last time you saw a crewmember begging not to be jettisoned out the airlock by the captain on Star Trek? As the airlock is opening? (And yeah, he deserved it. What's better, he knew it.) Or a bounty hunter asking a cornered cute young thing "You ever been raped, little girl?" totally deadpan? Balance that out with some of the frickin' funniest lines ever uttered on the small screen, and it was a roller coaster.

I'd rather see it back as a series, where more stories can be told, but feature films aren't a shabby substitute. Here's hoping it means they can find a new TV home for it.
¡Damned!

2005-04-27, 11:05

^
Exactly.

And there weren't even any 'aliens' on the show. I don't know why JW chose to do that, but I for one found it a little refreshing. Sure, it wasn't set *that* far in the future, but it seems like every other show portraying a futuristic scenario feels like it needs to include the obligatory alien race or two.

Oh, and there are no sounds in space. It's a vacuum. Simple concept, sure. But Firefly was the first show that I know of that actually subscribed to such trivial truths.

So it goes.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
^
Exactly.

And there weren't even any 'aliens' on the show. I don't know why JW chose to do that, but I for one found it a little refreshing. Sure, it wasn't set *that* far in the future, but it seems like every other show portraying a futuristic scenario feels like it needs to include the obligatory alien race or two.

Oh, and there are no sounds in space. It's a vacuum. Simple concept, sure. But Firefly was the first show that I know of that actually subscribed to such trivial truths.
The latest BattleStar Galactica series is down with the whole 'no sound in space' thing.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, I've seen that. He's great with the "movie guy" voice, and the mafia guy "I don't know who this tortilla vendor is, but I want him and his family DEAD!" voice was perfect.
You got it!
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-04-27, 13:20

Dammit, now I really want to see this 'Firefly' series...

Damn you people
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-27, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Net
Dammit, now I really want to see this 'Firefly' series...

Damn you people

Don't worry, it probably sucks.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-27, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Was this originally a book....?
OH NO! I didn't see Book ANYWHERE in the trailer!
Last I heard they had everyone from the show in the movie.

Moogs, this started as a TV Series, but recently there was a book released. (Actually a collection of essays and stuff from the cast, crew, and fans.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 15:23

Nope, no Book. RHI that all but one actor signed back on, and now I guess we know which one.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-04-27, 15:38

I think my favorite part in the show was when they caught the #2 guy for the villian of the episode. He was bound on his knees, and the captain told him "I want you to take a message to your boss"

The guy on the ground starts in on the usual "You'll never get away with this, I'll hunt you across the galaxy" style tirade, setting up a good 10 episode chase across the galaxy. Instead the captain kicks him into the startship intake jet. *Fwoosh!*

No more second in command.

Totally deadpan he turns to the #3 guy. "I want you to take a message to your boss"

I couldn't stop laughing.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 15:48

Oh yeah. Mal is a complete bastard.