AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 8 of 16 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-23, 11:07

I also prefer the look of the single slab. However, there are two reasons I want to do it:

Number 2: The glass slabs between the rails will look silly hanging below the slabs. I prefer a little architectural realism, and the glass needs something to support it.

Number 1: Grey likes it. We got to keep Grey happy. An unhappy Grey is an unhappy server.

A decision on the material does not keep us from starting. The tunnels will need to be a certain dimension no matter what, and I think we can start prepping that. We not only need to cut the tunnel, but we need to remove all of the unwanted blocks (dirt, ore, gravel, etc.) and replace them with stone.

There's a lot to do, and I don't think we need to wait for 1.9.

However, I'm not chopping one block until Grey chimes in with the route.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2015-11-23, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Number 1: Grey likes it. We got to keep Grey happy. An unhappy Grey is an unhappy server.
Hey! I don't mind the floating slab. I do like the dk gray clay under the slabs as well, and it might be quicker to build anyway since sneak-building with slabs underfoot is a slow pain that leads to many deaths.

I scoped out the area near town this morning and have a new path that I'll put up shortly. Also widened the subway station rail to 5 instead of 3.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-23, 12:39

New path!

I snooped through grendagle's place and it looks like the furthest west she goes is ~700 (horse corral), so I'll jig around her place to center the path at 690, which is perfect because it lines up with an underwater valley I wanted to hit to cross the ocean. Speaking of, I think the ocean crossing should be on the seabed instead of underground to give the ride a little more visual fun. Especially with the new clear water texture in 1.9.

The seabed path hits the sheer chunk wall at 690/48/1020, which is where we'll turn to head towards Turtle. Whether that becomes pure tunnel or edges the chunk or what, I'll leave up to the miner(s). The green dot could be a subway station that has a place up top (@250) and branches south (also where T's rail could tie in). The cyan dot is where the South Portal is located, and where we'd start our overhead paths.

I'll take care of the seabed path since I have some highlight ideas (and oodles of glass). Or heck, I'll take it from the Train Station since I know where to make the turns and take it to the sheer wall underwater. The tunnel builders can have at it from there. Sound OK?

FYI: T's train tunnel is at y54. Not that we have to match that, but there it is.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-23, 13:32

So, do we want to shoot down to 54 for the tunnels, and up to [sea floor], whatever that happens to be?

I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'll start out at the South portal and work back toward Turtle/1020-ish with 250 being the exact centerline, and 57 being the height of the rail. Any objections before I whip out the demon picks?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-23, 13:44

I don't mind at all for any of this. My question is are we going to wipe the extreme trips off before we start building rails south? At this point are we only focusing on building the CC stuff that is mostly underground? When I have a chance I'll probably step in with Ken and work from south up.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-23, 13:47

Yeah, just CC stuff that won't get wiped. I don't want to build South now and have it wiped in a few weeks, then have to build again. It'll take that long to complete the subway portion anyway, so

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-23, 13:49

Ok, I just wanted to be sure.

709 and Ken, let me know if you need loot dropped somewhere. If you mark chests I'll be sure to put stuff where it goes too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-23, 14:06

Thanks. I'm going to hollow out the space, first. I'd hate to lay down any rail and find I'm off by 1 block. So, tunnel, first, then fancy bits.

Dr. Bobsky

2015-11-23, 14:17

I miss this type of community event... I do have a question: why not build this in the nether?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-23, 15:27

We want to make it as hard as possible to get to the "new world" so you can't just return easily should you die/need something.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-25, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Quote:
Why you think my Tall Town is out in the sticks?
I know why Tall Town is out in the sticks... and I thought it was a great idea. Too bad the mechanics changed.
Wait wait wait what did I miss? Mechanics? Reasons? I've always wondered what the story was behind Tall Town! It was built during my time away from Minecraft and it just kind of popped out of nowhere, AFAICT.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-25, 20:02

Also, let's get started talking about world-trimming now. I feel like 1.9 will be dropping before the end of the year, and this is one more thing to get ready!

I've fired up Photoshop and started marking up a guides grid to represent the chunk files. Here's the main part of the world minus the long cardinal direction tendrils. Thoughts on this first pass?

Also, here's a copy without the red overlay if you want to make your own version: https://i.imgur.com/XgawFwr.jpg

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2015-11-25, 21:45

There's grendagle's place a couple clicks south of the South Portal, but that's the only thing I see outstanding.

Unless Drew wants to be in his mountain home over in the NE? I'd like to wipe as much as we can, honestly, because Strongholds and Igloos and most importantly, Loot Tables. Huzzah.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-25, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Wait wait wait what did I miss? Mechanics? Reasons? I've always wondered what the story was behind Tall Town! It was built during my time away from Minecraft and it just kind of popped out of nowhere, AFAICT.
Tall Town is all about height. I like Bradtropolis, but it doesn't give me the feeling of height when I wander through. The deal with Tall Town is that all towers are 64 high minimum! Nothing shorter. Most of the buildings will be 128+.

Then, after watching a bunch of iron mine videos, it occurred to me that I could get anywhere from two to three villages into four of the 128+ towers and have some pretty serious iron output. Alas, 1.8 changed the village rules and killed off iron farms completely. So, Tall Town is Tall Ghost Town until I get around to making it something else. There is talk of village rules being re-implemented in 1.9 to fix iron mining, but won't know until then.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-26, 14:11

Since all you slackers were gorging on pigeons and drinking grog, I took the liberty of naming the south portal and it's destination, which I think is quite fitting.

Welcome to Southlantic Station. Please enjoy your journey to Southlantis aboard C.C. Southlantic Railways.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-27, 00:36

@Brad, does that prune cut out the squid farm? I can't tell from that pic but it is close either way. Other than that I didn't see anything that needed to be left.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
@Brad, does that prune cut out the squid farm? I can't tell from that pic but it is close either way. Other than that I didn't see anything that needed to be left.
Hmmm... I'll have to go for a walk and find out. Is the squid farm related to that ocean ring to the far northeast corner? (I haven't been to see what that is either.)

¡Damned!

2015-11-27, 10:16

It doesn't. I checked coords last time I was out there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-27, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmmm... I'll have to go for a walk and find out. Is the squid farm related to that ocean ring to the far northeast corner? (I haven't been to see what that is either.)
Squid farm is south east of the guardian dropper. Follow the black-glass trail.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 12:14

Gotcha. So, what is the thing in the far northeast ocean?
¡Damned!

2015-11-27, 12:38

That's Turtle's Monument Adventure. Death awaits.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 17:28

Quote:
Squid farm is south east of the guardian dropper. Follow the black-glass trail.
This image is a 1:1::pixel:block of the closest chunk. I see the entrance there. Do you know how far back it goes? Does it look like it would make the cut?

¡Damned!

2015-11-27, 18:12

It makes it. I measured it recently when I was looking to smooth the NE corner.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-27, 18:53

Yeah, it sure does. The farm is only about 25x25 or something like that. It's right beneath the mountain behind the entrance.

Edit: Hey, wait just a bee-fallootin' minute! South of the guardian trap: Is that Q*bert?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 20:18

*sigh*

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/669179961790607361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb_
Update: Minecraft 1.9 will not be released this year. We want to fix more bugs before release, and keep the game stable over the holidays
Welp... we should still have some fun this holiday season with or without the 1.9 update! I'll prepare to trim those chunks anyway. Then maybe we should change up the world seed to go adventuring in a direction again? Or maybe plan a temporary world for a weekend in a 1.9 snapshot? Or maybe plan a 1.9 snapshot UHC tourney?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-28, 06:16

You can trim my mountain stuff!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-11-28, 11:43

I'm down for doing a BattleNova!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-28, 14:26

UHC!!!!

Yes, please.

Rowdy, what recent version setups have you liked?

Have you seen the Hermitcraft 160+ person ones?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-28, 14:59

Just as an FYI, I've come up with a junction design for the T near Turtle Heights. I'm gonna build it tonight. I've tested it in creative and it works quite well. It's a one-way design, so it only works if you drive on the right.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-28, 15:55

I wrote a small script that will keep only the chunks we want, but when I went to look at the new map, I couldn't remember why we were keeping this circled area:

The SW four chunks are kept because of the manmade mountain monument out there, but the last time I trimmed the world we marked these other three NE chunks to keep too. The only things I see there are a couple of villages and a few torches for what looks like a temporary mountain shelter. Otherwise, I don't see any other signs of life. Should I purge these three chunks too?