Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Endnote V8 has bugs...avoid

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Endnote V8 has bugs...avoid
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2005-02-12, 09:16

Just got V8 of endnote and am dissapointed and pissed off. Upgraded from version 7, first off V8 requires you to convert your old libries as they are not compatible with each other, did that, decided to link all my references to my pdfs (over 200) then find out i cant customise the output styles. So im going to have to go back to my V7 library and link all over again

Point of this thread, avoid endnote 8 if your thinking of upgrading until they pull there finger out there asses. You would think beta versions would have picked this up.

They just fixed bugs for the windblows version. No word on Mac.

Other than that its great, when it works (V7 that is).
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-02-12, 09:25

Don't worry, the Windows version (of 8) still has major unfixed bugs in it which haven't been fixed after months (the funniest is that in indexed fields such as author, if you attempt using Unicode or RTL scripts, you can type one letter, and then it switches back to the Roman character set).

The rot set in when they were taken over some years ago… it's been going downhill wrt bugs since about version 6.

You might like to give Bookends a look, if you're really annoyed.

-S
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-12, 09:35

Problem is that v7 isn't compatible with Word 2004. :/ Fortunately, I don't have to use it often.
cyrusmekon

2005-02-12, 09:39

Yup that was the other thing i forgot to mention. Back to word X for me.

When i conveted the libaries i deleted the V7 ones. I hope to god i backed them up on my ipod.

The show must go on i guess..........
cyrusmekon

2005-02-16, 05:16

Ok im fucking pissed now. As you may have read i installed endnote 8 with regret. Now word x and endnote 7 refuse to work as before. I have tried everything.

The problem lies in endnote cite while you write plugins. Remove them from the startup folder for word and Word works fine. However if they are installed all i get is word crashing with an error report.

I have installed/uninstalled both office and endnote many times. Run disk permissions/repair etc etc. Nothing works.

I tried running word and endnote on a diff user account i have and it works fine (endnote automatically starts when you start word) etc etc. That tells me there is something in my user account that it just doesnt like. What it is, i have no idea.

I have emailed endnote to see if they can help. Im not holding my breath, hence this post. Has anyone come across this before? The IT guy (Mac hardcore user) had never seen it before and had no idea.

Another ref application is not possible unfort. True to form i have lots of reports and work to hand in, and i cant fucking reference. Typical.

Anyone help?

Last edited by cyrusmekon : 2005-02-16 at 05:48. Reason: Move to genius bar please
cyrusmekon

2005-02-16, 07:40

Admin, please move to genius bar.

Cheers.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-02-16, 07:51

Well, as a craptastic temporary workaround, you can just cut-and-paste the formatted references from the preview pane in Endnote, and go through and compile the bibliography, ibid and ids by hand. Still a (slightly) better solution than the old-fashioned way.

By the way — is there any particular reason that other bibliographic dB solutions aren't a goer? You realise that Bookends has edu discounts, can import Endnote dBs and integrates with Word 2004?

On a related note — have you tried exporting from Word as RTF, and then using the Endnote RTF scanning facility?
cyrusmekon

2005-02-16, 16:36

Hi im back. I got a reply from endnote concerning my problem and what he suggested fixed the problem.

"if user folders are on a partition besides the one that has the system folder, the visual basic environment in word (which EndNote needs to function, and EndNote initializes when word starts up) is not stable.
To verify the location of the Home folder...
1. In the Finder open your Hard drive.
2. Go to the toolbar (at the top of this window) and select Home (if you are not viewing the toolbar go to the view menu and select view toolbar).
3. Go to the file menu and select "get info"
4. In this window it will say "Where: <HARD DRIVE:FOLDER PATH>" If the Home folder is not on the same partition as the System folder the Visual Basic environment (VBE) in Word X will not function correctly.
Endnote 7 relies on VBE in order to function, so when Word tries to load the Endnote tools upon Startup it starts the VBE and causes Word to crash. Workaround: Create a user whose Home is on the default partition.
Now find the file "Carbon Registration Database" in that user's Library and copy it to their Public folder.
Now log out, and log back in as yourself and drag the "Carbon Registration Database" into your preferences, replacing the one already there.
If your Home folder is on the same partition as the System folder and you still have trouble you may have some corrupt Word or Endnote preference files.
Clean them up as follows...
1. With Word closed use Finder to go to the Microsoft Office X:Templates folder, rename "Normal" to "Normal.bak" and then drag it to the desktop.
2. Now go to Home->Library->Preferences->Microsoft and trash the "Carbon Registration Database", the "Office Registration Cache X", and the "Word Settings (10)" files.
3. Also go to Home->Library->Preferences->EndNote and trash the "EndNote CWYW Prefs" file.
4. Then empty the Trash, open Word and a document, and try the tools again.

Though id post this incase similar problems arise with anyone else.

Thanks for your suggestion people.