Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

airport express problem problem problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
airport express problem problem problem
moo

2005-10-03, 23:04

hi,
i have been having huge troubles with my airport express.
i have it connected maybe 5 feet away, the signal is at full, but it KEEPS
disconnecting on me!

it works for sometimes 20 mins and sometimes 5 mins.

i restart it and it works for a bit, then stops again. it's driving me insane!

ive tried leaving everything off (pc, cable modem, AE) for five mins then turning them all back on, i've tried resetting, i've tried almost everything!!!!!

any suggestions??
really appreciated. thanks.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-10-03, 23:20

are there any other wifi devices near you? microwaves? 2.4 Ghz cordless phones?
is anyone else on your network?
Describe your network setup...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-10-03, 23:21

have you tried unplugging all of them at once for a min or two? that always seems like the last thing i do for some reason but always seems to work (you think id think to do it first but i always neglect it and assume the reset button will fix it)
moo

2005-10-03, 23:24

there are a few wifi networks in my building, its an apartment building. the microwave is on the other side of the room....
the network is protected with wpa.
im not sure what kind of wifi network i have. it's an airport express using an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the airport express - it's not a bridge, it's a base station.

yeah, i tried unplugging them all. it seems to be working right now, but this always happens and it cuts out eventually.
moo

2005-10-03, 23:48

it just cut out again! AAARRGHHH...... what do i do>????
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-10-04, 01:18

find out what channels everyone else in the building is using
set your network off of those channels.
you will probably set it to 1 or 6 from 11.

Download iStumbler and it will tell you what channels each of the wireless networks in your range are using.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-10-04, 17:04

What Paul said. Check nearby networks to see if they are using a similar channel. If you're in the US you will have 11 channels - use a network channel as far away as possible from those channels in use. If you're 5 feet away, switch interferene robustness ON. Use the AirPort management tools http://www.apple.com/support/airport/ - they will tell you what traffic you're having on your network.
moo

2005-10-08, 18:07

k thanks guys. will try all that out. but apparently there was a MAC address problem with my ISP or something as well - so figuring that out first. might have been the problem.
gjas15

2005-10-08, 19:12

If you have the APEX up to the latest version make sure the auto select channel is turned on then everytime it starts up it will pick an unused channel. Really good feature for apartment buildings and such.

Another question, you werent all that clear, is it that you cant get anywhere on the internet or is it that you actually got disconnected from the WiFi network?