Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2006 Winter Olympics
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-20, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gck
Sorry, but "rarely does he ever win gold or silver" is probably not really fitting for Bode, he won quite a lot of World Cup races, in all disciplines (which only a handful of skiers has managed to because usually people specialize into certain disciplines). Additionally, he won the overall World Cup in 2005 which requires being constantly good over the whole skiing season (and has been dominated by the Austrians in the last years, and the current one), in 2003 he finished second in the overall World Cup, coming out of nowhere (I can remember him having a hand-written "for rent" note on his helmet to get a sponsor to put an ad on it), and in 2004, he won the World Cup in Giant Slalom and Combined (but was "only" 4th in overall). He once lost a ski mid-race and almost finished it with just one ski (which was hilarious, every other guy would just have stopped and whined).

I don't know how he appears in the US media, but on Austrian television he doesn't act childish or whatever, he doesn't complain about the snow or whatever if he fell etc... He just appears to be very relaxed, laid back and likeable. Maybe it just depends on how a journalist approaches him.

Bode Miller is extremely important to the international recognition of US skiing, I mean, before Miller came, Americans were just an also-ran in skiing events (maybe except for Rhalves). At least that's the idea I get here in Austria where all the races are shown live on TV and alpine skiing is really really huge.
Thanks for your very informative post, gck, and for adding crucial perspective to the discussion.

I think some people are just jealous. heh
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-20, 16:19

Bode has been portrayed in the US media as very arrogant, very much the stereotype of the rich frat boy. Windswept seems to enjoy that bad boy image while I myself have no patience for it. (I can't say I'm jealous since I've had to deal with so many people who fit this mold to think I'd ever like myself in that role. Sorry Carol. ) Now, some of that image is due to the media, some of it is him ("60 Minutes" interview). How much of it is really true I guess I can't really say, but I've yet to see him act as anything other than a douchebag given the opportunity.

Did we cover this already somewhere back in these pages?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-20, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
I can't say I'm jealous
I wasn't actually referring to you, Buon.

But I just couldn't resist a little bit of needling.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-20, 18:38

Bode completed his oh-fer (as in 4) today. Once chance left Bod-acious!

The bulldog may be right about the image thing, and I tend to agree about the 60 minutes thing. I've yet to see him on camera when he isn't being Dr. Rebel & Mr. Douche (the latter comes out when Dr. Rebel doesn't kick ass).

...into the light of a dark black night.
gck

2006-02-22, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Bode has been portrayed in the US media as very arrogant, very much the stereotype of the rich frat boy.
Rich frat boy? He grew up on a strange farm somewhere in a deserted countryside, without water and electricity, and with parents whose looks remind me of the Creedence Clearwater Revival...

Then again, the olympics are petty much over for him I'd say, only slalom is left and that was his worst discipline this year (like I said before, he almost always fell). Unfortunately, I didn't see the "60 Minutes" interview, so I can't comment on that. I'd love to see it though, it's so hard for me to believe/understand his image is that bad in the US.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-22, 08:40

No I think he means now, as in if you observe his behavior and read the reports about his penchant for closing out the bars the night before an events, etc, he gives the impression of a frat boy. Rich I don't know but frat boy, definitely. He fits the mold pretty well from an image standpoint.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-02-22, 09:31

Yeah, don't mean to say he's rich or belongs to a fraternity, just that his on-camera persona reflects the stereotype closely. I guess "rich" was thrown in there by habit really.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-25, 17:00

I'll let the final word on Bode be his own

Quote:
"I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here," Miller said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press soon after he skidded off the slalom course in his fifth and final race, completing an 0-for-the-Olympics.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-02-25, 17:12

Hey!
Closing ceremonies are tonight!!

[EDIT}
Oh no they're not.
They're tomorrow night you twonk.

Last edited by drewprops : 2006-02-25 at 19:55.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-25, 20:26

Yah don't forget the main event (Gold Medal Game in Men's Hockey). Finland - Sweden. You can't get a more intense rivalry than that. I suspect it's going to be a great game, and hopefully so as it could attract new fans to the sport. Sadly it's on at like 8am EST but still, it should be good.

Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2006-02-26, 15:20

Bode Miller wins the olympic gold medal of stupidity according to the medias. He spent whole night in night clubs : that's the key of his sucess.

It's unfortunate that such a big champion ruined his olympic games this way
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-26, 15:35

He rocked! What a self-absorbed asshole. Ultimately it's "all about Bode", and that's why he deserves any ridicule he gets.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-27, 08:23

Well it sounds like the closing ceremonies were a combination of Circ du Soleil and Ricky Martin. Glad I missed it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-02-27, 08:48

Sounds quintessentially Italian, as were the opening ceremonies with their American/European early 80's disco-synth-pop serenades. I couldn't help but giggle when Bob Costas kept giving the WTF attitude to the music during the opening ceremonies. Bob, it's Italy, and nothing could be more Italian!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-27, 13:21

If you didn't watch, one thing you missed was the handing of the olympic flag from the mayor of Torino to the mayor of Vancouver for 2010.

I was enormously impressed that the mayor of Vancouver is a paraplegic. He had a holder affixed to his wheelchair which held the heavy flag for the traditional eight revolutions.

I was most impressed with this remarkable mayor, AND with the citizens of Vancouver who elected him.

The brief bio included by NBC was the sad and ironic story that the mayor became paralyzed from a ski accident when he was 19.

I love Canada and Canadians.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-27, 13:47

Well, he wasn't until after he won... blew an ankle carrying a groupie up the stairs at his cabin at the post-election kegger, and took a nasty tumble down 3 flights.

Poor bastard.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-27, 14:41

Has anyone seen Bryant Gumbel's remarks abour the Olympics and its atheletes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Gumbel
"Count me among those who don't like 'em and won't watch 'em," said Gumbel, a former cohost of NBC's Today show. He added that we should "try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these Games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing," and "try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention."
WHile it is true that there is an almost zero percent (if not zero) representation of 'minorities' in the winter olympics, some consideration also has to come into play. The populations of the countries that participate in these events are overwehelmingly caucasian. Minorities don't participate in the Winter Olympics becasue they are denied the opportunity to, it's simply becasue they aren't in the areas where these sports are contested.

Not to get into any racial arguments here, but if a white commenator/talk show host/whoever made the same comments about the low amounts of caucasians at the Summer Olympics, it'd be a lot bigger deal.

Just my $.02
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-02-27, 14:48

Welcome to last week.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14052

And I guess you didn't watch speed skating. Plenty of Chinese and South Koreans kicking ass all over the place.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-27, 15:03

Ooops...I had jsut read this thread and didn't even see that one. Sorry.

And when I said "minorities" I meant blacks in particular, as Gumbel himself had said the lack of made it look like a GOP convention.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-27, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Welcome to last week.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=14052

And I guess you didn't watch speed skating. Plenty of Chinese and South Koreans kicking ass all over the place.