User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple's Powerbook warranty policy (for n00b Apple customer)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's Powerbook warranty policy (for n00b Apple customer)
Screech

2006-02-17, 21:42

I bought a Powerbook in December.

Best. Computer. Ever. I was not too keen with Macs despite never using them. Windows was fine -- I'm safe around the net, so I don't get many viruses, although I still did get swarmed with spy- and ad-ware -- but Windows was dull and uninspiring. I never looked forward to booting up a "boring" PC. Using a Mac is just fun. And I don't even think about computing, I just do it. I love this thing..

But onto the real issue...

The "N" key on my keyboard continually snaps off. I have tried to remove the key and put it back in, but it still continually snaps off. It's very annoying (especially considering my name's first letter is "N") and unexpected for such a quality (and expensive) machine.

I also am having major AirPort issues. The thing often needs a restart, as the connection drops out and never comes back. I try rebooting AirPort; no luck. Only a reboot fixes the issue.

I'm probably going to take it in tomorrow.. I have no idea how Apple support works, or what they'll do. I had a small touchpad problem a week after buying this, but Apple just swapped it out with a new one. I've had two iPods and both have worked perfectly.

What will they do in this situation? Will it be in for a long repair? How does support at the Apple Store work?
kaseyha

2006-02-17, 22:17

When I broke the keyboard on my iBook I simply called AppleCare and they shipped me a new keyboard, no questions asked.

I would call first, it may be a bad airport card in which case both issues can be easily repaired at home with the correct parts which Apple can ship to you. It's a lot quicker than shipping your computer to them, and then having them ship it back to you.
Screech

2006-02-17, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyha
When I broke the keyboard on my iBook I simply called AppleCare and they shipped me a new keyboard, no questions asked.

I would call first, it may be a bad airport card in which case both issues can be easily repaired at home with the correct parts which Apple can ship to you. It's a lot quicker than shipping your computer to them, and then having them ship it back to you.
In the land of the PC I build computers. Even with such experience, I don't think I want to open my $2000 PB to replace the keyboard or AirPort card.

What are my options then?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-17, 22:39

There's nothing to open to replace the airport card. It's fully user accessible. Depending on what model of computer you've got, you may have to remove the battery. Regardless it's so simple. The keyboard I wouldn't do.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-17, 22:49

It won't take apple that long to fix it... I just had them fix my a key... i was computerless for a week...
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-17, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
There's nothing to open to replace the airport card. It's fully user accessible. Depending on what model of computer you've got, you may have to remove the battery. Regardless it's so simple. The keyboard I wouldn't do.
Yeah, there should be a door on the inside of the battery bay that you just open up to get at the Airport card. The keyboard on the PowerBook, however, is very built in (which is part of why it's so awesome). As a result, I believe it's one of the harder things to replace. I wouldn't do it yourself.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-17, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech
In the land of the PC I build computers. Even with such experience, I don't think I want to open my $2000 PB to replace the keyboard or AirPort card.

What are my options then?
Screech, check out the www.pbfixit.com. It's a doddle to take a PowerBook apart.

They are a million times easier than any other PeeCee laptop I have ever had to take apart, and they go back together sweet.

EDIT - If you have a warranty common sense dictates that you should let Apple do the keyboard.. But it's a no-brainer to do it yourself if you have ever used a screwdriver and a 'spludger'

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
gjas15

2006-02-17, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile

You can no longer do this with the newer albooks, atleast with the 1.67's and later. Mine doesn't have this door sadly, only the ram door.
halo1982

2006-02-18, 03:11

Heh....around 40 screws in the 17" AlBook to get to the keyboard... http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/55.4.0.html
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-18, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1982
Heh....around 40 screws in the 17" AlBook to get to the keyboard... http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/55.4.0.html
Done it twice myself.. Took me 10 minute to take apart and 5 to put back together, the first time.

10 minutes in total the second time..