User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Mac OS X upgrade grace period?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS X upgrade grace period?
Fooboy

2005-02-14, 18:50

Can anyone find out (or know FOR SURE) how long Apple's grace period to recieve a major OS update (panther to tiger) after purchasing a computer. I've heard 30, 60, 90 days ... and I am probably going to get a powerbook in mid March, wondering if I should perhaps hold out depending on the grace period apple gives.

I'll go try to find it on the Apple website.
¡Damned!

2005-02-14, 21:01

If history is any indication, around 30 days before the product is released. Of course, as all things Apple go, ymmv.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-14, 22:02

Please do not use ambiguous thread titles like "Can anyone find out how ..." as you have here. See our posting guidelines:
Quote:
Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Do not give threads misleading titles in an attempt to gain more views. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums.
I'm editing your title appropriately.

That said, there is no official standard policy with regards to software upgrade grace periods, AFAICT. 10.1 didn't apply because it was a free upgrade. 10.2 and 10.3 might have had a thirty-day grace period, but I'm not certain.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2005-02-14, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That said, there is no official standard policy with regards to software upgrade grace periods, AFAICT. 10.1 didn't apply because it was a free upgrade. 10.2 and 10.3 might have had a thirty-day grace period, but I'm not certain.
Right. I remember some 'official' Mac Up-to-Date dealy between Puma and Jaguar (for US$19.95 shipping cost), but not between Jaguar and Panther...though there might have been.

So it goes.
Fooboy

2005-02-14, 23:07

sorry Brad - thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the responses as well.