AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's ADD or Lack of Focus
Page 8 of 10 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  Next Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-22, 18:07

Yep, get a Synology or QNAP NAS and bask in the glory of dynamically expandable 'RAID.' (Don't get a Drobo)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-11-22, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
after comparing what apple was doing with its time capsules versus where the market is for home network storage, there seems to not have been any reason to even buy the Time capsules when they were first released. Apple ceded this ground for good measure...
But isn't that the entire problem? They aren't making even industry par equipment now.

The Apple TV, their networking products, their entire desktop line, their server line and server OS, their Office Suite, their home media production apps like Garage Band, iMovie, the focus in iTunes on making it easier to buy, but dumbing down or removing other useful features.

Apple used to offer something BETTER than the industry average on almost all of these fronts, or at least something you didn't have to apologize for using.

They've lost ground on all of those fronts, and for no good reason. They could have at least kept pace, but instead they've done NOTHING.

What the hell have they been doing all this time? It better not be just a touch screen keyboard and figuring out to do display an iPhone interface on a smaller screen.

That's all I feel there is to show for the last 5+ years of Apple innovation. (and as the admin of an Apple based board, that really disappoints me and saddens me, as I have high standards for a company I've spent this much time and energy supporting)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-22, 21:43

Okay, if not Apple, who? Who is really innovating in the traditional computing space? Innovating. Traditional. It's a tired category. We've hit Peak PC.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2016-11-22, 22:01

Who here has built a Hackintosh? I'm pondering it myself. What are the real cons presuming price isn't a real object in terms of picking quality parts?
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-22, 22:20

There's no huge cons anymore. There's still a preferred list of mainboards (or board components,) but you pretty much use Clover and install stuff like the official Nvidia downloadable drivers.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-22, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
Who here has built a Hackintosh? I'm pondering it myself. What are the real cons presuming price isn't a real object in terms of picking quality parts?
*raises hand*

I've had a hackintosh for over six years (wow, 2010 feels like yesterday). The key drawbacks I've encountered are:
  • Depending on <random unknown variables>, you might have to reinstall everything when there's a major 10.X upgrade. This is another reason to always keep an up-to-date backup before trying updates. Some owners report seamless in-place upgrades, though. YMMV.
  • Getting iCloud/iMessages/handoff (correction: handoff issues are due to bluetooth compatibility problems)/etc stuff to work can be sketchy because under the covers it requires sending a real machine's hardware ID to Apple. This is arguably the most problematic thing to do since you may be "stealing" someone else's hardware ID for this. Fortunately, I don't use iMessages on my desktop, and I'm hoping more services don't start relying on the hardware ID.
  • GPU support can be troublesome at first (and with system updates), and depending on the motherboard and/or dedicated GPU you get, you might have to do a bunch of poorly-documented configuration and boot flag dances to get it into a stable place. Once you find a setup that works, though, you're probably good.
  • Built-in line-out audio on motherboards can have spotty support. You might want to save the headache and just buy a cheap USB audio dongle (these usually work out of the box).
  • No support. When one day you boot up to random error codes, you're on your own, and the Internet forums are usually garbage.
  • Computer doesn't look like a space ashtray.

Clover is the way to go for bootloaders, and there are sites (I used tonymacx86's monthly buyer's guide) that produce recent compatible hardware lists. As long as you use "supported" hardware vouched by one of these guys, you shouldn't have too many troubles. tonymacx86 also has some very simple Installer.app-style tools for creating your USB boot drive (see UniBeast) and installing various drivers (see MultiBeast), but there are also plenty of pure DIY guides out there too if you want a more hands-on approach.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-11-23, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
What the hell have they been doing all this time? It better not be just a touch screen keyboard and figuring out to do display an iPhone interface on a smaller screen.

That's all I feel there is to show for the last 5+ years of Apple innovation.
Not counting the Touch Bar or the Apple Watch, in the last five years Apple has introduced Siri, Touch ID, Apple Pay, the world's first 64-bit mobile chip, retina laptops, retina desktops, retina tablets, EarPods, the Apple Pencil, 3D Touch, Lightning, and iCloud.* They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice, ditched skeuomorphism, and made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year. And they've made tons of "incremental" but huge improvements to their cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability…

Just five years ago the state-of-the-art Apple product had a 3.5" screen, a 32-bit processor, and a 30-pin dock connector. It ran bubbly iOS 5 and Siri was just entering beta. It looks ancient today. (Have you looked at Forstall-era iOS lately? It's gross.) We've come a looooong way in just five years. That's Apple innovation. It might not be everything you want, it might be more mobile-y and less Mac-y than you like, but I'd argue the Mac is a much more mature product. And even then, compare today's MacBook Pro with a 2011 model. That glorious 1280x800 screen!

*) Alright, technically iCloud was October 2011.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-23, 04:32

Ditching skeuomorphic UIs across the board was not an improvement. To call older iOSes gross looking is odd to me...they look dated because bad designers decided to make everything colorless and flat. Discrete buttons and UI elements, information density, colors/shapes by default, etc. We gave all that up for no reason.

Apple's purchase of PA Semi (plus others) and development of its own ARM designs is probably the biggest innovation in recent years. I'm fully on board with that and I hope Apple decides to buy / build a fab and sell chips to customers.

Also Siri lags behind just about every other search assistant that came after it. Everything else you mention is mostly derivative.

Last edited by Eugene : 2016-11-23 at 04:43.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-11-23, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Not counting the Touch Bar or the Apple Watch, in the last five years Apple has introduced Siri, Touch ID, Apple Pay, the world's first 64-bit mobile chip, retina laptops, retina desktops, retina tablets, EarPods, the Apple Pencil, 3D Touch, Lightning, and iCloud.* They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice, ditched skeuomorphism, and made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year. And they've made tons of "incremental" but huge improvements to their cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability…

Just five years ago the state-of-the-art Apple product had a 3.5" screen, a 32-bit processor, and a 30-pin dock connector. It ran bubbly iOS 5 and Siri was just entering beta. It looks ancient today. (Have you looked at Forstall-era iOS lately? It's gross.) We've come a looooong way in just five years. That's Apple innovation. It might not be everything you want, it might be more mobile-y and less Mac-y than you like, but I'd argue the Mac is a much more mature product. And even then, compare today's MacBook Pro with a 2011 model. That glorious 1280x800 screen!

*) Alright, technically iCloud was October 2011.

I'm with Eugene.

Also, most of what you describe has been matched and or surpassed by the competition.

Here's a question. How much has apple grown in those same five years and how much has their r&d increased? Think we have seen the same return on investment as we did the 5 years prior ?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-11-23, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Also, most of what you describe has been matched and or surpassed by the competition.
Exactly. It used to be a game of leap frog. Now Apple's not even trying to catch up. (outside of the phone arena, they're still trying there)

IMO, Apple's last hope is they're going to enter the 3D printing space with an excellent hardware/scanner/printer/software combo that will make 3D printing the next desktop publishing .

But then I look at today's Apple, and I don't have high hopes.

Google is your frenemy.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-11-23, 12:34

Let's seriously discuss this 3d printing idea, because I am not convinced.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-11-23, 13:10

3D printing is about the only space in the computer world (IMO) where power still matters, and I don't think users will balk at spending $2k to $3k on a system.

To make something that might actually herald in the era of 3D printing, it would need to combine a few features.

1. It would have to work out of the box.

2. You would need easy to use software for 3D rendering. There are many software packages out there, but having one that worked well and designed to work directly with the printer hardware would be a big advantage. Apple is capable of doing that.

3. Software/printers have existed for a few years now that can actually print articulated joints. That would be huge. Imagine how awesome it would be to *make* your own action figures.

4. In line with this, make a 3D shop/iTunes spin off. Allow people to upload their designs. Pay $1 to download and print your own. This would incentivize users to make some cool stuff and share. (let the pricing be optional, or have tiers, something)

5. I don't think the 3D printer stuff really comes into play until you also have a 3D scanner so you could scan and object, have that scan imported into your software and then tweak from there.

3D printing is still hovering around the edges of the public perception. People know it's around, they kind of know what it can do, but the mental overhead involved to get yourself started is prohibitive to the bulk of the public.

Apple has the hardware/software chops to take this project on, and they're just floundering in the desktop space anyway. I think they could be much better positioned if they went *back* to the idea of building an entire widget that worked great together, and today, the widget in the most need of that treatment is 3D printing.

Printers have come down in price though, and the quality is improving every year. Apple is large enough, and has enough engineers I believe they could come up with a working system for under $3k.

Google is your frenemy.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-11-23, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Wut?

Quote:
Of those, the ones where a serious argument can be made that Apple has been "matched and or surpassed" are Siri and iCloud. That's it.

Quote:
3D printing is about the only space in the computer world (IMO) where power still matters, and I don't think users will balk at spending $2k to $3k on a system.
All three of them.

And Brianna Wu, too.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-11-23, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Of those, the ones where a serious argument can be made that Apple has been "matched and or surpassed" are Siri and iCloud. That's it.

Quote:
Apple has introduced Siri, Touch ID, Apple Pay, the world's first 64-bit mobile chip, retina laptops, retina desktops, retina tablets, EarPods, the Apple Pencil, 3D Touch, Lightning, and iCloud.* They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice, ditched skeuomorphism, and made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year. And they've made tons of "incremental" but huge improvements to their cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability…
TouchID. Literally a USB add-on for any laptop.

http://www.itouch.id/

Apple Pay

Android Pay

retina laptops

Here are 12 ~ 13 machines with better displays.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Bes....120541.0.html

retina desktops

Any high end monitor with 300 ppi or better will equal or surpass this.

retina tablets

Those they're doing pretty well on.

Granted, the competition has both 'retina' ppi, and OLED displays for less.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-70...ds=oled+tablet

EarPods

Aren't they just wireless headphones via blutooth? Is there something unique about them?

Apple Pencil

Again, isn't this just a copy of already existing products on the market?

3D Touch

This was Apple. Good for them. Already in Android.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/3D-To...Nougat_id87958

Lightning

Promoted and dropped in that time frame. Typical Apple.

Quote:
They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice
They are still the same design, they've just removed a bunch of ports and soldered everything to the mainboard since the first iterations.

The MacPro was a redesign. The the notebook/desktop line hasn't had a real redesign in years. It's all iterations.

Quote:
made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year.
They've done well in this segment, because I think they still care about it. It shows. It's about the only place it shows.

Quote:
cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability
So has every phone maker on the planet. That's nothing unique to Apple.

Quote:
the ones where a serious argument can be made that Apple has been "matched and or surpassed" are Siri and iCloud. That's it.
The entire iWork suite, Maps, Aperature vs. Lightroom, iTunes (gotten worse with every revision), Macs are losing headway in the professional Audio world where they used to reign supreme. They dropped their Server OS entirely, dropped their server hardware, they've abandoned their desktop line for 2+ years, and won't even discount the crappy old hardware.

Google is your frenemy.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-11-23, 13:40

I can barely see an academic laboratory market for 3D printers -- saving money on stupidly expensive plastic crap, but do you really foresee people buying the printer, learning the software, etc just to print mostly useless trinkets? I think it is a process searching for a home use application and not filling some void that either I do not see or just isn't there. I have no need or desire for a 2d printer, why would I buy a 3D one?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-11-23, 13:50

Quote:
I can barely see an academic laboratory market for 3D printers -- saving money on stupidly expensive plastic crap, but do you really foresee people buying the printer, learning the software, etc just to print mostly useless trinkets?
It would boil down entirely to what kind of Library of 3D stuff you were able to print. If someone can make a place where it's easy to share designs and plans for stuff, I can think of a number of useful applications.

(this is part of where a scanner matters, if you want to fix something you need the exact dimensions)

For me, I could see printing a bunch of cool toys for the kids, and I would happily encourage them to learn how to use the machine. Having an understanding of 3D scanning and printing may be very useful.

For me, there are a variety of unique parts I could build for my fish tanks that you just can't find otherwise. My kids might just print out that special lego piece instead of searching all afternoon.

Maybe we download and build a catapult using a rubber band to connect the parts.

Basically if there's a decent library of 3D 'stuff' to work with, I think there will be demand.

Heck, Hasbro could release their entire G.I. Joe library via this 3D store, and you can just download and print off the characters. No production/shipping from China required.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/15/3...na-443350.html

Google is your frenemy.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-11-23, 15:35

No jobs created either...

But aside from the possible use in creating replacement parts as rare as that would be, you have just described a bunch of trinkets as a most likely scenario for use... i don't think the costs justify that use...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-11-23, 15:51

If the materials were sufficiently broad in use in such a printer, I could *absolutely* see a market for small plastic parts for repairs. When a small nylon wheel for my dishwasher cost **$24**, it's a bit ridiculous.

A sintering (i.e. metal) printer for small parts in a shop would be absolutely a winner, if said parts are rare or out of stock. Need a left door hinge for a '37 Chevy roadster? Take the right one, scan, flip it, print it. Share with other enthusiasts, or sell the schematic for $5 online.

For folks with a maker, DIY or homesteader bent, the concept is a no-brainer. The technology isn't quite there yet, but it's close.
¡Damned!

2016-11-23, 16:49

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-11-23, 16:50

I thought sex toys were a given...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-11-23, 19:08

Quote:
TouchID. Literally a USB add-on for any laptop.

http://www.itouch.id/
Touch ID isn't just the physical fingerprint reader, it's the secure enclave and the integration with the operating system. Nobody thought they wanted a fingerprint ID system on their phone until Apple did it right and then suddenly it's a must for every halfway decent Android phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
EarPods

Aren't they just wireless headphones via blutooth? Is there something unique about them?
The pairing process is dramatically simpler. In my mind it's one of the clearest recent examples of Apple's whole-widget approach paying off. And wireless Bluetooth earbuds where each earbud is wireless still aren't exactly commonplace, and all the other examples — like the Bragi Dash and the Samsung IconX — are notably bulkier. Apple made their own wireless chip to dramatically reduce the need for batteries, resulting in a regular-size earbuds.

Quote:
Apple Pencil

Again, isn't this just a copy of already existing products on the market?
…no? It works rather differently than Wacom Penabled tech and of course totally different from the plastic fingersticks otherwise available on iOS and most other tablets. Apple didn't invent the entire concept of an active stylus, but dismissing their implementation as a copy of any product isn't at all accurate.

Quote:
Lightning

Promoted and dropped in that time frame. Typical Apple.

Quote:
They are still the same design, they've just removed a bunch of ports and soldered everything to the mainboard since the first iterations.
Sorry but I have no idea how you can say that, unless you consider every vaguely laptop-shaped laptop "the same design." In 2011 the MacBook Pro was built around optical drives and slow spinning hard disks.

Quote:
They've done well in this segment, because I think they still care about it. It shows. It's about the only place it shows.
Well, your original position was that the only thing Apple had to show for the last five years was the Touch Bar and Apple Watch, so I'm glad you at least see the value in them also being a year+ ahead in the most competitive sector in all of tech hardware.

Quote:
The entire iWork suite, Maps, Aperature vs. Lightroom, iTunes (gotten worse with every revision), Macs are losing headway in the professional Audio world where they used to reign supreme. They dropped their Server OS entirely, dropped their server hardware, they've abandoned their desktop line for 2+ years, and won't even discount the crappy old hardware.
I think it's amusing that you include Maps in your list of stagnating apps when Apple Maps didn't exist five years ago. Apple didn't have a mapping solution, instead relying on one from its fiercest competitor, one whose data-hungry philosophy is diametrically opposed to Apple's focus on user privacy.

I feel like maybe people forget exactly where Apple was five years ago.

And yes, you can also make lists of things that Apple "ignored." I never said they did everything (and they shouldn't), just that they did a hell of a lot more than the Touch Bar and Apple Watch.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-11-26, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Touch ID isn't just the physical fingerprint reader, it's the secure enclave and the integration with the operating system. Nobody thought they wanted a fingerprint ID system on their phone until Apple did it right and then suddenly it's a must for every halfway decent Android phone.
And FWIW, this cryptographer argues that Android 7's (late 2016) security barely even caught up with iOS 4's (late 2010). (The screenshot showing a snippet of code is… disconcerting, to say the least.)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-12-20, 00:47

I stumbled upon this video compilation tonight. Its not the best clip reel by far, but watching the whole thing just made me very sentimental about the "good ol days"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzibRCEaU3k

There is something about all the clips that just shows the passion and fun that they all shared for what they are doing. It just doesn't feel that way anymore, and I think that void is unfortunately very apparent in all of Apple's operations these days.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-12-24, 05:13

Bloomberg: How Apple Alienated Mac Loyalists

Yep.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-12-26, 07:06

Just in case this discussion thread has been put down as old man lawn protection, the grumbles are far more widespread and the internal problems at Apple are beginning to leak in detail. Chicago Tribune article

¡Damned!

2016-12-26, 10:51

^ Same article, egg noggin.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2016-12-26, 13:13

I've been sitting with my still unopened Macbook Pro 2015 because, well when I open it, it can't be returned.

I've probably overthought this to a large degree. I mean talking myself into a new laptop shouldn't be this hard but it is clear that it is not just for me but the market at large because there are fewer and fewer purchases in this mature market.

A good chunk of this does fall at Intel's feet. I look at Geekbench scores for my 6 year old laptop and brand new dual-core laptops are often not even twice as fast. I'm sure they might be a bit more efficient but they are not several multiples faster as was the case in the past.

Apple has done what they should and could in the area of displays, SSD throughput and they've always had pretty good power management, keyboard and trackpads, etc.

I think the real issue for some of the dissatisfaction is that most desktops and laptops have been getting around the lack of CPU progress by adding strong GPU's and Apple clearly has not made that a priority. Also while Retina was a good first step the lack of movement to outright 4k on the laptops, especially with the price increases is problematic. Also SSD's are great but they are also small. It feels strange to buy a laptop where the the very large and expensive SSD that is the same size as the HD I purchased 6 years ago.

In short the machine feels stuck in the middle and in the past you probably didn't mind this as much because as technology marched on, you added on. My 2010 Macbook Pro now has 2 GB of storage on it via a 500 GB SSD and a 1.5 TB HD. It has 8 gigs of RAM when it started with 4 gigs. (Everything else after it can go to 16 gigs.)

My laptop can't edit HD footage at full resolution on the internal screen. The new Macbook Pro can but can't do that with 4k video which is the next step. They both can drive external monitors for what would have been their next steps but Apple had the choice to take that step now and raised the price but didn't take the step. The technology is there.

It used to also be that Apple would understand that moving the bar hit their margins a bit at the beginning but moved buyers so that the later sales would allow better profit margins when everyone now was moving to the spot where Apple had raised the bar.

If the new MBP had a 4k display and perhaps the current GPU a year ago and something akin to the Nvidia 1050 on the way soon along with a 1TB SSD at their current pricing, then I don't think people would complain.

Dell has their current XPS 9550 at around $2200. It has a 4k display, is upgradable with an equivalent GPU to what Apple is just now shipping and comes with 16 gigs and 1 TB SSD. It also has upgradable RAM and a second SSD slot. The Apple equivalent is $3200 and everything is soldered on and the display can drive amazing external monitors but the internal monitor itself is only 2K. (Dell is 4K.)

I'm sorry to keep dwelling on this. It's just hard to love my 2010 MBP so much and know what a good job it has done for me but still feel so blah about the last and current gen machines. The Dell machine is honestly what I want for specs. If it had an Apple quality assurance and Mac OS it would be easy purchase even at $4-500 more dollars. Managing to catch the last gen machine at $2200 down from the $2800 it would have been has been harder to stomach than I imagined. I know the SSD is upgrable but the graphics were considered middling when it was introduced and much like this gen, it was considered a bit late. Running a generation behind with lengthening product cycles is just really starting to make it hurt.

Grrrrrr...............haven't opened the box just in case there's some sort of amazing after Christmas sale on non-moving Mac gear.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-12-26, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
^ Same article, egg noggin.
d'oh!

Thought that I checked. I'm half-sick and had a dying cat to worry with so I was less focused than normal (if that's even possible).

I thought it so important that it was worth mentioning twice.

"A superlative suggestion sir, with just TWO minor flaws: ONE, We don't HAVE any defensive shields....and TWO, we don't have any DEFENSIVE shields. Now, I realise that technically speaking that's only ONE flaw, but I thought it was such a BIG one it was worth mentioning twice!!!"

Kryten to Cat (television series Red Dwarf)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-12-28, 19:41

Given the battery issues Apple is facing on their recently released flagship laptop, it almost seems as if they didn't do real world testing on them before shipping.

SO MANY of their decisions lately make you ask "Who signed off on this?"

Google is your frenemy.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2017-01-03, 20:29

https://chuqui.com/2017/01/apples-2016-in-review/

This just about nails it.