Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Photo Booth

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Booth
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-10-25, 11:34

Could it be... no Photo Booth thread yet?

I had the opportunity to try out Photo Booth on my home computer last night.
(Dual 1.6 G4 with iSight and radeon 9800 pro)

Weighing in at under two megabytes, it is a testiment to the power of high level APIs like cocoa and core image.

While I don't really have any need or desire for photo booth, I found it suprisingly entertaining. I easily spent an hour just making faces and laughing. Even the most cynical of sophisticats won't be able to resist cracking a smile.

There weren't any glaring problems or deficiencies but there is still room for improvement. The performance was flawless on my machine, but keep in mind that the window is a fixed size. It isn't possible to use the app at anywhere close to fullscreen. It would be even more fun in full screen mode.

Also, I can imagine plugins being popular. It comes with eight effects but could easily support more without changing the interface.

It doesn't appear as if the "thermal" mode/effect is based upon true infra-red data. Is this correct?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-25, 11:52

Your probably right, I highly doubt it's real infrared. Normally things are just run through filters to get the effect. Now I know some digital cameras can get infrared information and there is a way to extract that out for true infrared, but I am not sure the integrated iSight can do that.

Also, is the integrated iSight as good or better than the old one?

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-10-25 at 13:52.
SledgeHammer

2005-10-25, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
I had the opportunity to try out Photo Booth on my home computer last night.
(Dual 1.6 G4 with iSight and radeon 9800 pro)
Are you saying you used Photo Booth on a computer other than one of the new iMacs? Where did you get it?
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-10-25, 14:19

I was using a Rev A (the original) iSight and haven't seen a new iMac in person yet. I too am curious about the difference in quality.

To answer the other questions. Yes, photo booth will run on at least some computers other than a non Rev C iMacs. I'm running a digital audio era powermac with a cpu upgrade card.

I fired photo booth up without my iSight attached, having taken it's firewire cord to work for a day. It refused to run, saying that an iSight was required. Actually, there was a huge paragraph long error message that I didn't read. Once the iSight was plugged in, photo booth simply worked.

I assume that a CI accelerating GPU is required but haven't tried it on a lesser machine to confirm this.

The "thermal" mode looked good but not actually infra-red. I held one hand against an outside window and one against a desk lamp. Putting my hands in front of the camera revealed that... bummer, they're the same color.

Where'd I get it?
Get What? I don't have Photo Booth.

[edit] Photo Booth, I meant photo booth not Front Row.

Last edited by dfiler : 2005-10-25 at 14:24.
SledgeHammer

2005-10-25, 14:24

I hear you. Which is OK, because I don't have it either.

EDIT: Well, despite not having it, I've discovered that while it will open and run just fine, there is no picture. The iSight comes on, but the Photo Booth display, and all the photos are just black. I've encountered the exact same problem with the Mirror widget I downloaded a while ago.

Last edited by SledgeHammer : 2005-10-25 at 14:30.
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-26, 13:30

Photo booth on my new iMac has given my wife and kids hours and hours of fun. I easily have 300-400 pics after only like three days, and that's after I deleted the bad ones.

It's a ton of fun, I like it alot.

It'll be fun if you had it set up in your livingroom or something, where guests could take a few pictures.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
kcmac

2005-10-26, 14:45

I went into the Apple store and tried it today. It's a blast to say the least. And you should have seen some of the pics the store left on the machine from what others had already done! Crazy stuff.

Gotta have it. Please release this Apple. Don't think I wanna buy an iMac just to get it.
Reid

2005-10-26, 15:24

As Front Row should be included on a CD when you buy the Apple Remote, Photo Booth should be bundled with the iSight (which, incidentally, should cost about $50, not $150). I played with it for a few minutes at the Apple Store a couple of days ago--it's fun! I especially like the Comic Book filter.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac
Gotta have it. Please release this Apple. Don't think I wanna buy an iMac just to get it.
I think we'll see it available for purchase shortly after 10.4.3 is released... as is probably the case for Front Row as well.

I'm thinking about making a wacky face collage to send out with my holiday greetings. My friends and relatives will absolutely fall out of their seats laughing.
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-26, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
As Front Row should be included on a CD when you buy the Apple Remote, Photo Booth should be bundled with the iSight (which, incidentally, should cost about $50, not $150). I played with it for a few minutes at the Apple Store a couple of days ago--it's fun! I especially like the Comic Book filter.
Some of the effects suck, but with the right lighting, the comic book and x-ray are too cool.

My kids love the x-ray.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-26, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
[..] the iSight (which, incidentally, should cost about $50, not $150).
$100, maybe even $80. But $50? Decent webcams easily cost above $100. Why would Apple all of a sudden be cheaper? The iSight is just about as good as you can get with a webcam, quality-wise.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 16:01

Like I keep saying, bundle a couple of them together (the only way they're really useful) and sell them for $129 and Apple will suddenly have an extra $129 in their pocket courtesy of me.

Come waste your time with me
Aquia33

2006-03-29, 07:46

Problem with Photo Booth on my MBP. It worked for about 4 weeks, then yesterday just a green screen. I trashed the plist, reloaded app and same problem. Ichat works well. Green led lights when PhotoBooth opens but no image. I can click the "shutter release" and I get a perfect picture of the green screen!! Photo Booth is just fun, not very productive, so no great loss. Any thoughts or suggestions

Last edited by Aquia33 : 2006-03-29 at 09:02.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-03-29, 08:29

The "green screen" was a problem on the iMac, but that was fixed with 10.4.3.

Some have found a temporary solution by shutting down, then restarting your MBP.

Last edited by NosferaDrew : 2006-03-29 at 08:34.
Aquia33

2006-03-29, 09:03

Thanks for the reply. I shutdown and restarted, problem still persists.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2006-03-29, 11:23

The 'infrared' mode is a filter where the lighter parts of the image are given a higher temperature value. If it were to be a real infrared camera then they would cost $300+... Ouch for apple


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 09:15

the original iSight has a much cooler picture and the macbook pro iSight has a much warmer picture

i think skin tones are more natural in the built in macbook pro isight than on the external iSight
Aquia33

2006-03-30, 09:45

On another site a user recommended that I shut down the MBP REMOVE battery for a few seconds, reinstall and powerup. Did this and Photo Booth is working as expected, green screen is gone.