Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Rail Transport

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Rail Transport
Page 7 of 10 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
arteggio

2011-05-06, 09:11

In our haste to get lines built, I think we've forgotten something: color. This whole time I've been assuming we'd use actual wool for the lines, but, where can it go? I guess in the skyway type I'm working on it could be put between the floorboards and the rail boards, to be seen through the glass, but skyway like with the green like will require some more creativity. This is feeling a little messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
to arteggio:

I see a problem with your incline design: if two carts are passing each other in opposite directions on that little section they will lose all momentum.
Oh, yeah, I knew that... Even if I completely ignored it as I was trying to postpone chopping down a forest for more wood. Off to fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
A few of you have contacted me about conjuring resources for rails. Rather than pick any individuals to bless with the dark magic, I have created a Federal Stimulus Dropoff Box in the post office and filled it to the brim with rails and boosters. I leave these to you to divide amongst yourselves.
Thanks!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-06, 09:47

I procured some resources and am beginning to lay out the outrigger underlays for my tracks going to/from Olde Towne/Skull Falls. Right now I'm reading up on Power Rails and my eyes are currently crossed.

I might need the synopsis of how to do this, and will go look at existing tracks for examples.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-06, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
In our haste to get lines built, I think we've forgotten something: color.
I'm gonna add colors once I work out the kinks with the stations
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-06, 14:20

I'm having fun making my first run and have decided to make my glass tower into a station.
arteggio

2011-05-06, 16:29

Systems status update:

After work by grey and me, R3–R4 is up and running!

As is G2-W5.

W1-W3 is in progress, and Kraetos is starting work on the white-green junction.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-06, 23:03

The white-green junction (now named Old Towne Station) is complete. I'm working on the eastern white line right now.

[EDIT] White line is compete from Apple Store to Old Towne. The next station is Mob Hill, and obviously I would like SpecMode's assistance with designing the stop

Next time we're both on we can figure it out.

@art: I like your stripes, I think I'm going to implement them everywhere. Red/White station is looking good, what should we call it?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-07 at 00:04.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-07, 00:43

Nice work, K, and all.
I look forward to riding around our world on one of Brad's "long sunny days".

And speaking of our fearless leader, I'd like to announce that his Smithness enjoyed the first ride on the new Olde Towne to Skull Falls line tonight. See below for screenshotgraphic evidence of that pioneering experiment....

Swing on through and take a ride sometime.
Note that the fastest way out of the tower is to go up and jump into the water.
If you prefer safety, go down and into my earthberm home

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-07, 01:45

What are the names of the stations on the Red Line and stations W1 and W2? I'm making a map.
¡Damned!

2011-05-07, 07:55

R3 would be Flaming Mountain, of course, and R2 should be Temple Station. The stations at R2, R3 and R4 aren't prettied up yet, but the Red lines to and from are functional. I could see the need for a station in between R2 and R3 if we want to hook into the Western Skyway at some point, so I've kind of built out an area that the tracks pass through in anticipation of that. I'm going to hold off on R1 until I finish the railings, which I'll work on today.

I've deviated from the wooden design as it enters and leaves Flaming Mountain so it fits in a little better with the cobble compound look, but it works. There's still some baddie-proofing to be done, so take care if you're night-riding.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-05-07, 09:29

Speaking of R1... I'm just going to do a single track from R2 at this point. If we get more traffic out there I'll put in a double-lane.

What was the price of tracks again? I may need to purchase a bundle from you, Brad, next time you're on.

So it goes.
arteggio

2011-05-07, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Red/White station is looking good, what should we call it?
Last I looked Red-W1 was a mere platform, so grey must have worked it into something nice. I think he should get to name it if he wishes.

EDIT: Oh. So it's still just a platform. Nonetheless, grey sounded like he might get to it. If not I will. There's absolutely nothing interesting nearby to name it after through.

R4 is complete; I've built a special station on the inside of my walls in the NW corner and am calling it Grand Raven Station. Unless Bryson or someone would like R5 to be built, it might be a while before I bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I could see the need for a station in between R2 and R3 if we want to hook into the Western Skyway at some point, so I've kind of built out an area that the tracks pass through in anticipation of that.
Yeah, eventually I wold like to get a line out to my castle, and to my park, so it makes more sense to go west from R2-R3 than from R5.

Quote:
I've deviated from the wooden design as it enters and leaves Flaming Mountain so it fits in a little better with the cobble compound look, but it works.
I got a nice medieval-industrialist vibe from this. Even though it's cool that most of the rail system is currently a unified design, I was thinking that individualist designs would be cool to zoom through too. And I'm sure plenty of that will come with secondary and tertiary lines. Can't wait for cyan and magenta lines.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-07, 12:57

[EDIT] Can we call the R/W transfer "Creeper's Crossing" since it's in the middle of nowhere over a dark forest?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-07, 19:03

I'm going to work on a bypass from Mob Hill to Flaming Mountain soonish. I'll set stations at Turtle Rock Memorial Bridge (Parapa Desert Station), and likely one at the corner between Atari and Maciej (Scarcity Station). I'll set up stair access from PDS to Parapa Palace, and run another line to the Hibearnation Station (which will be repurposed as a station for North Creepersville as part of the construction for the Lodge).

Edit: I need to check into it for certain, but I may be able to utilize detector rails to do line switching off of the main line without leaving the cart, too. Gonna verify that as a possibility. Would be neat if it could be done.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-08, 01:04

White Line is done! End to end time? 1:55 give or take a few seconds to hit buttons.

Yes, that's right! You can travel from Flaming Mountain to Old Towne in under two minutes! Technology these days...

arteggio

2011-05-09, 12:32

I'm building the west line out from the island where the skyways meet, between Temple and Flaming Mountain Stations.

I'm thinking of coloring it orange. So, Brad or turtle, if we don't meet soon in game, can you put a stack of red and yellow flowers in my mailbox?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 14:19

Done
arteggio

2011-05-09, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Done
Thanks!

Forgot to mention: I also have a local brown line that goes from Grand Raven in the NW to the SE corner of Ravonia. I'm not sure it's map-worthy, but I wanted to let its existence be known in case it might be helpful for other travellers.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I'm building the west line out from the island where the skyways meet, between Temple and Flaming Mountain Stations.

I'm thinking of coloring it orange. So, Brad or turtle, if we don't meet soon in game, can you put a stack of red and yellow flowers in my mailbox?
I, erm, thought I was going to use orange.

But whatever...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

But whatever...
Where did you want to use orange?
arteggio

2011-05-09, 16:09

Quote:

But whatever...
Oh, sorry, I don't recall reading that at all. I haven't made any of the wool yet, so it doesn't matter. If you are partial to orange it's all yours.

Not sure what I'll make the west then. It doesn't really seem worthy of colors, being so desolate and undesired. Black? Grey?

Are we still saving yellow/blue for potential W-E routes with respect to the BP area and its surroundings? Does anyone think the whole color wheel thing is going to take hold, or has there been a quiet census to not bother? I'd hate to make it light green and then take that away from the Green line...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 16:27

How about this for the yellow line?

[EDIT]
Or, we could build it straight across, but that means making it independent of the skyway. Which I'm fine with. I saw the red line today and I really like the part of it that is below the skyway. We could do something like that and then it would connect with Green Line and we could add stops near Parapa and Turtle's.

i.e this:

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-09, 16:30

A stop near Parapa there is rather...useless. The entrance is far south. I'm still adding the Lime line as a bypass around Creepersville.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-09, 16:34

Actually, would you mind doing a mockup of a Lime line starting at the Skyway branch off of the White Line at Mob Hill going north? It only needs a couple of stations, namely at the corner where it turns west again, and at the lava bridge, then a connecting point with Flaming Mountain on the Red line, assuming those can meet up.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Actually, would you mind doing a mockup of a Lime line starting at the Skyway branch off of the White Line at Mob Hill going north? It only needs a couple of stations, namely at the corner where it turns west again, and at the lava bridge, then a connecting point with Flaming Mountain on the Red line, assuming those can meet up.
Shouldn't this be the pink line?

Nah it can be the Lime Line. I don't care that much about making it consistent.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-09, 16:43

Well, I *did* kinda call Lime forever ago.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 16:43

RS, grey and I claimed colors (lime, grey, and orange, respectively) before consistency of location was a "thing."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 16:45

I wouldn't mind if you added my dark green line to a map too. You can denote it's underground by dashing it or something like that maybe. I'm thinking about adding a stairway access from the skywalk light green to the underground dark green line.

Then there'd be no need to build another one out East. The big thing is I don't want to have to break up the lines. There's have to be an auto connector to make the connection depending on which way you are going. Y2 stop could be skipped if there is a stair going down from the skyway for the dark green line too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Well, I *did* kinda call Lime forever ago.
Quote:
RS, grey and I claimed colors (lime, grey, and orange, respectively) before consistency of location was a "thing."
Good, cuz I was just kidding and already made it lime

@turtle, we're out of greens

I could change the eastern N/S line to blue, if you like. (Actually I would like that too, since my castle has a blue theme.)

Do you know the coordinates of the point where it turns? Roughly?

EDIT: Yeah I'm definitely going to change the current green line to the blue line so I can make the purple line connect my two castles. Can I trade you green wool for white wool, turtle?

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-09 at 17:31.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-09, 17:09

I'd be down with that. And thanks I'll be working on that as part of the work on the Lodge, which has started finally, and will pick up more with the completion of the gay bars.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-05-09, 18:00

Just to piss all the color purists off, I'm building the birch and pine lines from G2 to G1 and to POI in the NE.