User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

GRE - Graduate Record Examinations

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
GRE - Graduate Record Examinations
Krientle

2006-01-19, 22:05

Hey all, just wondering if any of you have taken the GRE, and had any advice as to what I should expect or have any hints to offer.

Taking it tomorrow, and I'm a bit worried, though from the practice exams I've seen it looks ridiculously easy, the math section at least.

~ Krientle
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-19, 22:20

Ei.

Is it still on computers?

If so, the early questions have a greater weight than the later questions... that is, if you get the first question wrong the best you can hope for is like 75% of the highest score (the actual fraction is probably higher, but not by much). I actually enjoyed the adaptive nature of the test, it was a great reprieve from the bland nature of standardized tests, however, it benefits people who are fast, and I actually think that speed and competence are completely unrelated -- and evidently so too does the graduate record exam group.

If it is still on computer, you probably would have benefited from actually working through the problems as fast and as accurately as possible on the computer -- if it isn't it is good to at least practice the math... after a many year respite from geometry, I found it a little hard going remembering all the relationships...

Edit: The verbal section is impossible. The writing section benefits people who can BS with great style... Look over the high scoring essay examples and emulate their style and you will get a 6 for sure... This worked for me for both the GRE and MCAT...
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-19, 22:44

The math section is no more difficult (or marginally so, if any) than the SAT math section.

Like billybobsky said, verbal is significantly tougher due to the vocabulary level, and writing is just how well you've learned to write towards what the graders like to see.

Wasn't that difficult, but kind of a pain to sit at the computer for 2-3 hours going through the test sections.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-19, 22:59

There's a pretty high correlation between SAT scores and GRE scores so if you did well on the SAT you'll be fine.
RyanPaige

2006-01-20, 00:17

I obviously got worse at math as time went on. When I took the SAT, my verbal score and math score were virtually identical. When I took the GRE a couple of years ago, my verbal score was significantly higher than my math score (same deal with the GMAT when I took it a decade or so ago).
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-01-20, 03:04

Nothing much to add really, just some affirmations.

All I did for prep was look over the essays and the general format of the math and verbal sections (didn't dive too deep into the practices). The math is really no different than SAT level. Just remember some basic geometry and basic (I mean basic) trigonometry and you should do fine. The vocabulary is definitely at a higher level, so it's hit or miss with this for some folks. On the essays just memorize the basic formula for the highest scoring essays. It's all about catering to the graders (not your natural writing style).

These are the approaches I used and did very well. So good luck.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
eventhorizon

2006-01-20, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krientle
Hey all, just wondering if any of you have taken the GRE, and had any advice as to what I should expect or have any hints to offer.

Taking it tomorrow, and I'm a bit worried, though from the practice exams I've seen it looks ridiculously easy, the math section at least.

~ Krientle
As a GRE teacher, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you take the test before the fall when it changes to be an even uglier beast. What's changing? Well, good news is no more analogies or antonyms. Bad news...answers can now have more than one right answer. Yes, you heard me. Checkboxes instead of radio buttons. Good times ahead.

Haha I only read your first sentence before I replied. Whoops. Well, that advice goes for anyone who might need to take it soon. DON'T WAIT!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-01-20, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon
As a GRE teacher, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you take the test before the fall when it changes to be an even uglier beast. What's changing? Well, good news is no more analogies or antonyms. Bad news...answers can now have more than one right answer. Yes, you heard me. Checkboxes instead of radio buttons. Good times ahead.

Haha I only read your first sentence before I replied. Whoops. Well, that advice goes for anyone who might need to take it soon. DON'T WAIT!
Ah, shit. I better get my butt in gear.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-01-20, 16:58

Quote:

Yeah I remember reading that. I've been encouraging all my friends that took a year off after graduating to take the GREs now, rather than later this year.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-01-20, 18:29

Quote:

Yikes...good thing i don't have to take it.

...but i have to take the 8 hour FE exam next year