Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

XBox 360 vs PS3

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XBox 360 vs PS3
JohnnyTheA

2012-01-14, 00:47

Okay folks,

With all the gadgets I want to maintain I am not sure that list now includes a gaming machine, a laptop, a gaming desktop, and an iPad. I find myself using just the lappy and the iPad and the old desktop isn't used at all. My current desktop really doesn't play the games I would like to play. Rather than buy a new desktop with the latest and greatest graphics card I am seriously thinking of just getting a gaming console like the XBox360 or PS3. Its cheaper, simpler, etc... I have not owned one of these things since I threw out my Atari 5200.

I like to play adventure games and really would like to play games like Skyrim (avail on the XBox 360). I have probably spent 1-2 years of my life on WoW. Not crazy about FPS games.

I know this is a loaded question, but which console do you think would be better? Is one better for adventure games? Its like only $300 so I'm not risking much compared to a tricked out PC. What about the Wii?

If I don't get one of these, I might go back to warcraft.... Please help!

JTA
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-01-14, 07:59

Both are great. Just don't touch the Wii

I own a PS3 so here's my fanboi points
- Free online compared to Gold Live
- Can use generic Bluetooth headset.
- Controllers use generic USB cables.
- Controllers have built-in rechargable batteries.
- Blu rays (Movies and no multi-discs games).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-14, 08:58

I like the PS3 for lots of the same reasons dmegatool mentioned. Also, the PlayStation 3 has larger hard drives (320 GB for $299 instead of 250 GB). The only real hardware advantage the Xbox has is WiFi (N vs. G), but if you want the best possible speeds you're probably going to use Ethernet anyway (both have ports).

But the hardware differences are fairly trivial. What you're really buying into is the ecosystem — the games library and online network. If you like playing multiplayer games, and all of your friends have one system, go with that. (Xbox Live is $60 a year, which is less trivial, but some feel it's worth the price over free PSN.) As far as games library goes, most retail games are on both systems, so it really comes down to first party exclusives (Sony's line-up is larger and more diverse) and downloadable "indie" games (where Xbox wins). Have a look at the Uncharteds and LittleBigPlanets and Gears of Wars and Fables of the world and see what catches your eye. Personally, I think Sony/Naughty Dog's The Last of Us looks utterly fantastic, and yet another Halo bores me.

One more thing, since you mentioned this is your first modern console: on the PS3 there's a growing collection of "HD remasters," which are two or three PS2 games upgraded with HD graphics (and trophies!) and sold on one disc for a lower price (usually $39 at release). This strikes me as a really good way to get a large library of time-tested games for cheap, and they're just as new to you anyways. (Also, you can download PS1 games for $6 a pop on PSN, but their graphics aren't enhanced and consequently look like death on an HDTV. But still!)

If you're buying soonish, Target stores have a special $299/320 GB bundle that includes a free PlayStation Eye, a PlayStation Move controller, and, er, Everybody Dance. Even if you don't care for dancing, it's a free PlayStation Move! It might come in handy. (Sports Champions is fun and can be had for basically nothing these days.)

Hope this helps, and happy gaming

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-14, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But the hardware differences are fairly trivial. What you're really buying into is the ecosystem — the games library and online network. If you like playing multiplayer games, and all of your friends have one system, go with that. (Xbox Live is $60 a year, which is less trivial, but some feel it's worth the price over free PSN.) As far as games library goes, most retail games are on both systems, so it really comes down to first party exclusives (Sony's line-up is larger and more diverse) and downloadable "indie" games (where Xbox wins). Have a look at the Uncharteds and LittleBigPlanets and Gears of Wars and Fables of the world and see what catches your eye. Personally, I think Sony/Naughty Dog's The Last of Us looks utterly fantastic, and yet another Halo bores me.
This is a very good description of the pros and cons for both systems.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-01-14, 09:22

Good points robo. If I were to rebuy a console, I would definetly look at the exclusive and on which my friends are... And I would buy a PS3 without hesitation
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2012-01-14, 11:45

My sons play Skyrim on PS3.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2012-01-15, 02:40

Not particularly helpful but fun:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9...hartyr2kd0.jpg
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-01-20, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuh View Post
Have to agree, at least the part where if you want to game online, the 360 seems to be the better answer. Since you also mentioned wanting to play Skyrim, you should wait for the lag patch to fix what is ailing PS3 users. It's particularly annoying (from what I've read), since the bug starts to manifest once you have 60-80 hours in the game. Basically the save file grows too large for the PS3 to effectively handle in memory.

I have both systems (got back into gaming in 2005, when the 360 was released), and my normal opinion is if you like in depth single player campaign games, get a PS3. If you like multiplayer, get a 360.

I say this because I haven't found solid answers for single player campaigns on the 360 platform for Uncharted 2/3, Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, God of War and inFAMOUS 1/2.

PSN is nowhere near as good as Xbox Live when it comes to online gaming, friends, parties and more. Yes, you have to pay for XBL (you can always find membership cards for at least $10 off MS's price online), but there is definite value for the money. MS has done 2 major updates per year since the 360 came out. The platform evolves because MS needs to make it worth your money. PSN (free) still feels a bit like an add-on (I have to sync every time I want to check out my tropies??? Really?!?). Have not messed with PSN+ (paid like XBL) so I don't know what perks come with it beyond auto-trophy syncing (really? this is a paid only feature?).
Foj
Veteran Member

2012-01-20, 14:27

With PS+ you get free games every month as long as your membership is active, discounts of up to 75% (depending on the game) and one hour trials on full games to see if you like them.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2012-01-20 at 14:50.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-01-21, 09:13

Your saves are uploaded to the freaking cloud too !! :P
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-01-21, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Your saves are uploaded to the freaking cloud too !! :P
Yea, I noticed that after the last XBL update. Not that I need it since I only game at home.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-21, 18:39

I have both the 360 and the PS3. If you have to pick one or the other, first look at the exclusive titles for each platform because that should be the biggest factor in your decision. If you have to have Ratchet and Clank and GT5 (like me), you have to have a PS3. If you have to have Forza 4 or Gears of War, it's gotta be a 360.

If exclusive titles aren't a factor for you, then yes it will come down to online gaming and console features. The Xbox is better at being a social system, even though you have to pay for XBL. It's way better than PSN. At the same time, the PS3 does a lot of other things better, like everything working over USB, rechargeable controllers, and of course Blu Ray.

From my perspective there is no war - both consoles are pretty awesome. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You have to figure out what features matter the most to you - or which exclusive titles you want more - and go from there.
sachmo1337

2012-01-26, 15:26

So somewhat on and off topic. If you're into hand held systems. The new psvita coming out is going to be pretty good from what I'm seeing/hearing/reading. Two analog sticks(Even though 3ds is coming out with an attachment for that.) ps3 graphics. Multiplatform online play (ps3+vita). Plus you can be playing your ps3 pause the game you're playing turn your vita on and continue playing on it. Plus you can use the vita as a controller for the ps3. There's a ton more stuff but those are imo key points that will make it good. Also sony is working on a nice line up of games for its launch.