AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New Mac Pro and iMac, circa 2021

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Mac Pro and iMac, circa 2021
Page 12 of 12 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12]  Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-07-10, 11:33

Hmmm. How long does it take to 'test' an iMac?

It's an M3 Pro Mac Mini glued onto a screen. If you have the screen in production and the new chip is available, is there any reason the 'testing' would take until early 2025?

I think the report is referencing the time it will take to build the supply chain and ramp up production, and confuses that with product testing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-07-10, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
How long does it take to 'test' an iMac?
I thought the same. Is the entire Mac hardware team John Ternus and his assistant?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-07-10, 14:40

1-2 years to test a machine, seems unlikely. Waiting for M4? Or just never coming. They have been making rumors that a big screen iMac is in testing or coming soon for over two years now. Sounds like more BS for clicks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-07-10, 15:44

A lot of it is extrapolation / embellishment.

Like, they have a vague hint that Apple ordered a 27-inch panel, and go "oh, that must be the new iMac". But no, that turned out to be the Apple Studio Display.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-10, 16:31

I’m still going with “the iMac has been iced, we just don’t officially know it yet”.
chucker

2023-07-11, 03:38

I feel like they've found a niche for the iMac that's a bit like the Mac in general ca. 1995: as an art object to put in front desks and TV sets for decor.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-11, 07:47

Not that I know everyone, but everyone in my orbit the past 3-4 years has bought only MacBooks (Air and Pro), Mac minis or an iPad of some sort. My uncle bought a refurb 21.5” iMac in 2019 or so, well before the M1 redesign. He surfs, emails and YouTubes, so it’s perfectly fine for him. I do think he might’ve been a little happier with a MacBook Air, or even an iPad for the things he does (way less overhead and stuff to know, especially since he already has an iPhone…if you know an iPhone, you can seamlessly use an iPad). Now that I think about it, everyone in my damn family who insisted on a Mac (Mom, Dad, stepmom, sister, niece, uncle) would be a better fit for an iPad. Safari, email, FaceTime, Facebook, buying shit they don’t need from Amazon 24/7, etc.). But he wanted a desktop with a big(ger) screen. I even tried to sell him on the 13” Air hooked to a ~24” external display for a “best of both worlds” approach, but he didn’t go for it. So he’s got a 2018(?) era aluminum 21.5” iMac with the 5400rpm 512GB(?) spinning hard drive, 16GB RAM and it’s a fine machine (to me it’s a tad poky because I’m used to the SSD
¡Damned!

2023-07-11, 09:06

I've always held that the iMac had the best bang for the buck out of any Apple machine – a lot of oomph attached to a really nice screen. Enough to pull me away from my usual Mac tower w/external displays back 15 or so years ago. But now with the intro of M chips, everything - even the Airs! – are just so fucking fast the value has really slid over to the Mac mini and the Airs. I'll probably hang onto this one that I'm typing on for a while, for that Intel nostalgia. But, as chucker says, unless I need some objet d'art to fill a space and fiddle around on I'm pretty sure my iMac days are done, alas.

So it goes.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-07-15, 21:29

Today we are just one month away from August 15, the 25th anniversary of the iMac.

Apple doesn't always lean in to these anniversaries, so nothing is guaranteed.

But the timing, ahead of the Back-to-School season is perfect for both a refreshed 24 and 27-inch iMac.
It's been 800+ days with the M1 iMac.

But is the M3 ready?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-07-15, 21:35

Seems off that they would launch the Mac Pro with M2 if the M3 was that close to release.
chucker

2023-07-16, 09:15

The Ultra will always launch after the Pro/Max, which will always launch after the regular. So, there will be overlap. The M1 Ultra was announced just three months before the M2.

The M3 no-suffix has to be just months away from release.