Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I'm Done with my Thesis!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I'm Done with my Thesis!!
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-04-17, 11:56

I passed my defense last week and this morning I turned in my official copies, having spent hours properly formatting the stupid thing.

Anyway, I'm just very excited and relieved, so I thought I'd share.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-04-17, 12:11

Congrats!

Hopefully I'll be posting the same thread in about 7 years
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 12:24

Time to treat yourself a good meal and a few brewskis!

[Venkman]It's Milluh Tyme![/Venkman]
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-04-17, 12:27

haha, my friends and I did a substantial amount of drinking following our defenses. It was quite fun. Perhaps a little too much fun.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 12:45

WOOT! Congratulations!

I assume it feels good to be done.

Me, I had the weirdest experience - I got done with my defense, everyone shuffled out, and it was just me, at the podium, gathering my things. No angelic chorus, no trumpets, no huzzah and hurrah, just... silence. And I got really rather depressed. (Of course a lot of that may have been because I had no clue what I was doing next, and that suddenly hit me... )
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-04-17, 12:57

congrats
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-04-17, 13:17

So you're now antethesis?

Or would you just say ipso post facto?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-17, 13:29

Congrats! What was your thesis on, btw?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-04-17, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
I passed my defense last week and this morning I turned in my official copies, having spent hours properly formatting the stupid thing.

Anyway, I'm just very excited and relieved, so I thought I'd share.
Congrats, Naderfan!

In some odd coincidence, My friend and I are going to finish editing our masters thesis tomorrow. We just spent 12 hours today purging out typos and checking notes and got a little past half-way.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-04-17, 15:22

Congrats! How long were you going? What was your topic? Any tips on motivating yourself (from a prospective thesis-writer daunted by the fact his two older brothers crapped out (not that they're doing badly...))?

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Congrats! What was your thesis on, btw?

Mitochondrial warps in the Space Time Continuum as caused by Greenhouse Emissions from Clairvoyant Woodland Creatures in sub-Saharan Africa. Totally impenetrable from a logic standpoint.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-04-17, 16:15

Maybe it was a Synthesis.

Congrats.
Boomerangmacuser

2008-04-17, 16:53

Congrats Naderfan!
You wrote it in Apple's Pages... right....
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-04-17, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Mitochondrial warps in the Space Time Continuum as caused by Greenhouse Emissions from Clairvoyant Woodland Creatures in sub-Saharan Africa. Totally impenetrable from a logic standpoint.

How did you know??

My thesis is titled: "The Buck Stops Where? The United States, Great Britain, the United Nations, and the Question of Responsibility for Palestine." I examined Anglo-American attitudes and actions toward Palestine through the lens of FDR's Four Policemen idea. Basically, I argued that originally, both the U.S. and Great Britain were happy with leaving the British in charge of Palestine, but following WWII, the British no longer wanted to deal with the situation, but the U.S. didn't really want to take over either, which then led to the failure of the UN's partition plan in 1948. I'm in the History program, in case you couldn't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Congrats! How long were you going? What was your topic? Any tips on motivating yourself (from a prospective thesis-writer daunted by the fact his two older brothers crapped out (not that they're doing badly...))?
It was a 2-year program. As for advice, I'd recommend trying to set up your schedule so that you only have to take one class your last semester and can then devote yourself to writing. I only had to take a writing seminar (which was basically a class where you wrote a paper - we only met for the first 2 weeks of the semester and then the last month) and the class I TA'd for. Also, try to set aside a day or two a week where you aren't working on it, so that you can catch your breath. Even if you love your topic, you can get really frustrated with it when you're working non-stop on it.

And now, after a year's break, I will be going back for my PhD...time to start the insanity all over again!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-04-17, 17:53

LOL, I didn't realize you meant your MA thesis. That's in 2 years for me, not 7.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 18:19

Interesting stuff. You should start a thread sometime regarding the successes and failures of Israeli policy in that regard too. That's something Americans never hear about... to the news media Israel can do no wrong basically... it's a very hypocritical situation in some respects.

...into the light of a dark black night.
veryamusing

2008-04-17, 18:52

You go, Glenn Coco! Hehe...

Congratulations, Naderfan!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-17, 19:13

Congrats NaderFan! Some day I might get my undergrad...not sure I'll make it to your level of schooling though. Good work.
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 08:54

Congrats. I bet you feel great. Interesting topic too.

What's in store for you now?
Enki

2008-04-18, 10:41

Congratulations!
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-04-18, 11:49

Many congratulatory phrases and pats on the back to you!! Your thesis sounds like something I would actually like to read (as opposed to most thesis' that I hear about).

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-04-18, 19:34

Nice work Naderfan. It's a great feeling to have that monkey off your back. Congratulations.