User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Sealing my door from my neighbor's odors?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sealing my door from my neighbor's odors?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-12-01, 00:08

I have a new neighbor and he smokes pot, a lot. I'm not casting judgement, I just don't like the odor.

It's a duplex, my door is just across from his in an interior entryway. Any ideas on how to better seal it? We don't share any air ducts so I'm pretty sure the door is the problem.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-01, 00:18

Oh my gosh. I know someone who has this same problem. They're planning on moving out because of the management's lack of help and the other person's total asshattery. It's a frustrating situation, sorry that you're experiencing it too.

Edit: Sorry, but I just have to say FUCK the pot smoker. Fuck them.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-01, 00:58

I moved when it happened to me and my family. Sorry it doesn't really help with your door, but if you don't own the door then there is little you can do. I'm sure calling the cops every night would get the point across though since it is illegal still I'm pretty sure.

Short of that, weather proofing stuff is pretty standard for a door, use that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-01, 01:14

Similar problem here: neighbor with cigarette smoke. In this case, though, the neighbor is below us and it somehow seeps through the floor/walls. Even though this is supposed to be a no-smoking complex, the administration doesn't seem to care.

Solution: we're moving.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2013-12-01, 01:42

Have you tried talking to him/her? Perhaps they'd be understanding and at least open a window or something. I've mostly found my neighborhors friendly when I've approached them about such things.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-12-01, 02:01

Wow, we're a sorry lot with nothing to do on a Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh my gosh. I know someone who has this same problem. They're planning on moving out because of the management's lack of help and the other person's total asshattery. It's a frustrating situation, sorry that you're experiencing it too.

Edit: Sorry, but I just have to say FUCK the pot smoker. Fuck them.
My duplex was sold and the new management firm literally doesn't have a working phone number. Not the one on the lease transfer notice and none of the numbers Google turns up. I should find out if that's enough for me to break the lease without a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I moved when it happened to me and my family. Sorry it doesn't really help with your door, but if you don't own the door then there is little you can do. I'm sure calling the cops every night would get the point across though since it is illegal still I'm pretty sure.

Short of that, weather proofing stuff is pretty standard for a door, use that.
I'm moving soon enough so I just need to get through a month or two. I live in a pocket city with pretty diligent cops who have nothing else to do, I'm sure they'd be happy to dick around with him but I don't want to be a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Similar problem here: neighbor with cigarette smoke. In this case, though, the neighbor is below us and it somehow seeps through the floor/walls. Even though this is supposed to be a no-smoking complex, the administration doesn't seem to care.

Solution: we're moving.
Yeah, that's happening. Probably up to Boulder after the new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Have you tried talking to him/her? Perhaps they'd be understanding and at least open a window or something. I've mostly found my neighborhors friendly when I've approached them about such things.
This guy doesn't care, he's an asshat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-01, 08:33

If he's an asshat I say you dick around with him: time to learn the bagpipes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-01, 14:24

^^^
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-12-01, 14:32

<---------

I know a Scotsman who could help you with that.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2013-12-02, 08:34

How much smell are we talking, and how much does it really bother you?

Have you talked to the person about it?

If you want to fix the odor problem but can't mess with the door, and don't want to call the cops, I have a weird solution.

You could get your neighbor a vaporizer. If they aren't a complete jerk and you explain about the smell, that might do the trick.

$120 or so and the odor is no more, and you're now the coolest neighbor that stoner ever met.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me