ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-02-25, 23:28

feeling withdrawal....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-26, 00:04

We are live! Sorry for the delay, Verizon had to manually issue me a new IP. I kept trying to renew and reset Lenny's network services and such. Once Verizon renewed the IP I was good. IJak is on so I know MC is good now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-02-26, 18:01

Working on the router/server again, turtle? It's showing up as unreachable again for me.

EDIT: Never mind, I quit/relaunched Minecraft and now it's connecting. Weird.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-02-26, 18:06

0600 and 1800 are when world backups run, and the server is unresponsive for a minute or so during that time. You probably just tried during the 1800 backup.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-26, 18:34

Oh good. I'm glad you were able to get in. I'm having an issue getting FTP working right now for my Dad. I know it's a rule issue I'm having to work out but was hoping your MC connection wasn't because of some new rules I have in place with Snort and IP blocks.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-14, 23:39

This evening I spent some time tweaking our server setup. After I reinitialized "speedy" (the SSD) and moved the world back into place, I started scrutinizing our maintenance scripts. I ended up archiving all of my custom scripts and replaced them with a fork of this init script. I've cloned a copy to /opt/minecraft/scripts/minecraft-init-script and committed seven changes (so far) to the local repo to add some functionality and make it behave more nicely on Lenny.

turtle, this means the old kickstart, run, and backup scripts are gone. In their place is a proper init script at /etc/init.d/minecraft. I've also chkconfig'd it so it should start up automatically whenever the server reboots. It writes backups (use "sudo /etc/init.d/minecraft backup") to the same directory and keeps a rolling symlink just like my old script. I have the following cron jobs now:

Code:
0 6,18 * * * /etc/init.d/minecraft backup 0 5 * * * /etc/init.d/minecraft command "say Server restart in 2 minutes! Get somewhere safe!" 0 5 * * * /etc/init.d/minecraft logrotate 2 5 * * * /etc/init.d/minecraft restart

If you have anything that called the old backup script, you should disable that part and let it just pull the latest world backup symlink. If you want to, you could have it call the init script with the "backup" argument, but that might be overkill.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-15, 12:16

Well, yeah. That's awesome but it does change my scripts. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get it working for my process. Or, I might change your backup cron time.

I run the maps at 3 and 15. If I move my map time to 0605 and 1805 then the maps aren't' done until after people are heading home from work. How about if we adjust the backup time to 0255 and 1455? Then I won't need to run an extra backup script. Mind if I make that change?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-07-15, 12:51

Er... Can we have a (perhaps limited) remove water command?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-15, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I run the maps at 3 and 15. If I move my map time to 0605 and 1805 then the maps aren't' done until after people are heading home from work. How about if we adjust the backup time to 0255 and 1455? Then I won't need to run an extra backup script. Mind if I make that change?
Done! You can keep your map jobs at the same time; I moved the backups to start 10 minutes before them.

Code:
50 2,14 * * * /etc/init.d/minecraft backup
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-15, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Er... Can we have a (perhaps limited) remove water command?
We don't have one. Try sand. What did you do?
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-07-15, 13:54

i filled a cave with water to eliminate lava before I knew that lava can be effectively removed with loads of tnt.

Also, it just might be convenient -- there is a bukkit command no?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-15, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Also, it just might be convenient -- there is a bukkit command no?
The closest I can think of are the WorldEdit region replacement commands, but I'm not about to hand those out given the widespread destruction that could be caused by a minor typo. Maybe there are other dedicated plugins to water removal, but I don't know of them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-07-15, 14:04

How about this?

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/h2otnt/
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-15, 14:21

Awesome! Thanks Brad.

Also it was good for me to know because I have an icon on Beast that I've trained Mrs T to click on if we lose power here at the house. Not as big of a deal with the SSD and no RAM disk, but still makes a save in case we lose power for longer than the battery backups.

Edit: That is a nice init setup. I like it a lot. I also see you didn't follow it with the new user, I'm glad for this.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-07-15 at 15:08.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-06, 11:01

So space is an issue on my NFS right now because of how bloated the FTB world is. Just to give you an idea:
Code:
167.0G ./minecraft/backups 181.6G ./
Those are for older stored backups and are just eating up my space. I need to purge. Unless someone has a very compelling reason to save these old backups in the next day or so I'm going to nuke them. This leaves backups of the FTB world starting with July 1. Nothing earlier than that will stay since we clearly have no need to go back that far.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-10, 09:29

Since nothing has been said, these are gone.

I did however maintain the backups of the last of the previous worlds:
Code:
526M ./backup_world5 2.6G ./backup_cactuar 628M ./backup_lochgreen 1.7G ./backup_bridgeport 230M ./backup_sedona 1.6G ./backup_tekkit 7.1G .
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-31, 18:06

So, FTB is still running and running backups. 2.7GB for each backup totaling almost 125GB just for the month of July. I've knocked the backups down to once a day again. As of last check, I'm the only who has logged into it since the move to the new world.

That being said, I'm planning to prune out all but one backup per week. This would really knock the storage down since there has been no change in data as it is.

Brad, I'm going to move it's position in "longstore" to a folder marked FTB to make it easier if you need to look for it for any reason.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-31, 19:41

Sounds good to me!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-01, 13:24

709 and iJak, Sorry you guys had to deal with my making changes on the server. I tried to not have to restart but just ran into some issues.

The good part is I'm almost done with some backend changes that won't impact you guys much other than add a layer of stability for times when my ISP changes my IP. When the change is detected, it will force the MC server to restart.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-06, 19:22

Looks like it's time to pull down Junior and give it a blow down!

It is my plan to do this tonight or tomorrow night. I'm also going to move it from it's current location to a new one that is near it, but "safer" than where it is now. If you try to get on and the server is down, it was me. I'll wait until no one is on to pull it down though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-07, 09:32

Dang, dude. You're gonna be able to grow mushrooms before long.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-07, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Dang, dude. You're gonna be able to grow mooshrooms before long.
tftfy
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-08, 03:53

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I still haven't gotten to it yet. I was going to last night but ended up building the tavern at Whammerstein's. Maybe tonight I'll take it down instead.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-08, 18:34

Well this kinda sucks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn.com
That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program. This change in the business will allow us to invest in our customer support teams, Internet infrastructure, and platform security so that we can continue to strive to deliver an exceptional customer experience for our paying customers.
Add to this another great service of the past that's got me hooked and gone paid. Oh well, they will get my money because it's just worth it to have a service like this instead of my building my own for free. Though I really could do that and am very tempted.

This should have no effect on the game at all, just wanted to publicly complain to anyone who actually understands what this means. Mrs. T just knows it means more fees to pay.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-08, 18:39

We're willing to chip in. Bobsky can probably set up an automatic stock fund for it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-08, 19:16

While I would be grateful and thankful for anything the players want to chip in to assist with my costs, that we not the reason I posted this. It's only $13.50 per year since I ordered the service for 5 years and got a discount for being a legacy customer of theirs.

I'm just annoyed that they made it a pain for me to stay a free DynDNS customer for the last year or so and now they are just dropping it and making me pay going forward. I've had the same hostname since somewhere in the mid-2000. I'm trying to find somewhere that might say when I first used it but haven't been able to yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-09, 21:05

Opportunistic maintenance window has completed and the server is back up breathing clear again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-16, 19:02

I'm doing some DNS changes. It shouldn't effect the services for MC, but it might.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-23, 20:56

More DNS changes about to happen. Could impact services, but it shouldn't. I'm checking in game now to see if anyone is on before I start.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-26, 09:07

So recent changes made have taken the websites down due to an odd redirection to my self-signed certificate. I've stopped access to the web via the firewall for now while I work through this so you won't get an invalid cert error. I will see about getting this resolved today if I can. The maps are going to continue to run even though you won't be able to get to them.