Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Doing a project? Journal it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Doing a project? Journal it here!
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-05-26, 00:10

I really really want a video of Robo painting his toenails. With audio...

No face, just bad camera work. That would be fantastic.

OR. If toenail painting isn't a thing, then

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-03, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
NOT DEUNK.

ok drunk haha

Buy I. Really do like it!,, really!m

And Xaqtly I like the nerd wgn and turtle I like the playground but mainly the nerd wagon
Glad to see Robo finally stumbled into this thread!

OK. So, I'm a week overdue for posting the final steps. It's go time. Last we left our stalwart crafter, he was drilling holes into the body of the harp…

Next step was to give the smooth black harp a light coat of gold spray paint. After painting, I wet sanded the body (apprehensively, too, as this was my first time ever wet sanding anything) with the 600 grit paper. Even though I was careful, the underlying bumps were still pronounced enough that I managed to sand right through the black paint in some spots.

I took a black sharpie to those spots that were completely worn through.

I then took the first step I regretted in this project. I'd read great things about using Rub 'n Buff on crafts to give them an authentic metallic look. Well, that may be the case with some materials and shapes, but definitely not this harp. Ugh. I didn't even bother taking a picture. I evenly coated the harp with a fine layer, rubbing in small dabs exactly as described in the instructions and tutorials I'd seen, but the whole thing looked splotchy and, for lack of a better word, dirty.

So, the next day, I took it back outside and gave it a couple layers of gold spray paint to even it back out. No pics here, either. After drying, I wet sanded with the 600 grit paper again, but this time I was so gentle as to barely touch the surface. This did the trick nicely. The harp retained the metallic gold color and sheen and lost the gritty feel of fresh spray paint.

With the body largely done, and with a few more days to go before it needed to be totally finished, I decided it could use some embellishments. Back to Inkscape!

The in-game harp has these shapes on the body, and I think they're supposed to be holes or depressions or something. It's hard to tell from the low-res graphics. Well, I decided to add these shapes to the body instead of subtracting them. I printed them onto card stock and set them down for a test look.

Seems about right! I then transfered to craft foam, cut them out again, taped them down to a scrap of poster board, and painted on a few coats of gesso.

More black spray paint, more gold spray paint, and then plucking a few down onto the harp to get a feel for final placements.

Glue time! No going back now.

Looking good! Final step: strings. I cut the gold cord into the various necessary lengths and tied each one in what I think is a cat's paw knot. I think I used one less twist than the official technique, but whatever close enough. I cut the final cords a final time after knotting, squeezed hot glue into each hole, and promptly fed the cords down before the glue cooled. Doing them one at a time, I held each cord for several minutes to ensure a solid seal.

And here we have the final product!

And into the hands of miss Zelda:

DONE.

Now, where the heck am I going to keep this thing???

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-03, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!

Post pics )
Only because you asked so drunkenly nicely!

Photo montage without all the wordy explanations!

(taken after a long day of wear and having fallen apart a bit)

So, last Saturday (2012 May 26), wifey and I went to "Animazement 15" here in Raleigh as Groose and Zelda. I had started working on a pair of boots and fingerless gloves for my Groose costume, but I spent just a little too much time on perfecting that Goddess's Harp, and I never quite finished them. Oh, and I forgot to paint the "L" patterns on the sleeves of the shirt. Gah! And in the rush to get out the door, I also forgot to put on the necklace that I'd finished the night before! I felt a bit of a dunce afterwards for having only a 75% costume, but 75% was good enough for me.

I didn't get any pictures of us with my own camera, but lots of other people wanted to take their own pictures. I've only found a few crop up on the internets so far, but my eyes are peeled for more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-06-03, 22:32

That's great Brad. Nice project. It looks like much fun was had by all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-31, 20:17

So I have this entertainment center that just was covered in clutter. It's in a playroom that's been covered with toys and stuff so it's not normally an issue. Thing is we are starting to really purge stuff that the kids don't play with. This made my entertainment stand look really bad. Here it was:

Notice the Apple TV sitting on the Xbox and off center so it doesn't block the vents? It was too much for me. So I set out to make a good change. In the process of starting this project my TV died too. Sad really, not I'm borrowing a 32" that doesn't fit on the articulating wall mount from the former 55" that was there. So I'm watching a much smaller TV now. Anyway, The articulating mount means we can't put the TV but so close to the wall. This left a bit of space that was unused back there. I set out to hide the Xbox, PS3 and other devices. None of them require the device be visible, though the sensor bar for the Wii or the Kinect do need to be in line of sight.

I took two 1"x6"x28" and four brackets and made shelves. I then added vertical supports to protect the gear and ensure it can't fall forward. I'm unable to tuck the wires like they will be since I don't have a TV mounted to the mount, but you get the idea. The PC in the upper left is going to be changed out with a Mini and it will be hidden where the power strip is right now on the shelf to the lower left. I'll also move the Network drop up to the area behind the future TV so you can't see the ethernet or coax connectors. Basically, the idea is no wires or anything visible around the TV other than the sensor bar and Kinect.

Here are the finished images. Yeah, I used my iPhone because it was easier:

This image is to give you a better idea of what it's going to look link once I have a TV to make the connections perfect for. The wires will be run along the arm to ensure no pinching and the perfect length.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-27, 21:45

So my next little project today was to build a spice rack. One whole cabinet in my kitchen was nothing but spices. It was so bad that we forgot we had some because they were behind others! That is no longer a problem:

This is 1" x 3" x 8' pine boards cut into two 6' boards and the cross boards being 23.75". We then had .25" x 1.5" x 24" slats to be the little lip to keep them on the shelf if the door is slammed to hard. I could have put more shelves in this, but this seems like enough for now. The whole thing is screwed to the wall with 4 2.5" screws. It's not going anywhere. It's also in my "utility" room with the water heater and washer and dryer. This means it didn't have to be finished or very pretty. Not bad if you asked me!

Also, I used screws to put it together rather than nails. I did your brads for tacking the strips on the front though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-27, 22:15

Looking good!

Aside: I can never allow myself to buy the Red Robin seasoning or else I'll just eat fries 'til I die or run out of seasoning, whichever comes first.

Also, thanks for reminding me that I have a long list of projects I need to get started on!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-07-27, 23:43

OMG I somehow hadn't seen pics of Brad as Groose

or maybe I just didn't remember for some reason…

But: Wow! Nice job on the costume(s?) and props, Brad! I know this is like two years late, but still! I never knew Groose and Zelda could be such a charming couple

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-23, 23:22

Hey Brad, here's a shield that you might enjoy.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-03-24, 00:04

Who the hell is "Brad"??

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-03-24, 03:16

I'll contribute a little car project I'm working on. It has been a slow project, but I make a little progress when I have some free time. My dad has a 1971 Toyota Celica that sat for 30 years. Back then he had a smog check snafu with the California DMV, blah blah, 'nough said if you ever dealt with CA DMV. Anyways, turns out it didn't matter whatsoever and we could re-register it! If only it ran...

Exhibit A: Open the hood for the first time in 30 years.

Long story short, complete engine rebuild! Yahoo what a learning experience!

Exhibit B: Engine block on stand, pistons coming out and most everything removed. The cam bearings were destroyed so the shop has to take them out when the block is boiled.

- Photo Album - If you are up for that kinda thing.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2015-03-24, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Who the hell is "Brad"??

Is he related to Alice?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-24, 12:04

I love the engine work! Makes me miss working on my old Mustang. I'm thinking I just might find an old car to make a fun hobby again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-22, 21:26

My latest creation....that was mostly Mrs T's creation:

This is no ordinary Banana Nut Bread. This has vanilla protein powder in it along with coconut sugar and Matcha tea. All of that topped off with homemade organic vanilla extract! These things are so good.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-22, 23:45

where's mine?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-23, 00:35

Come on over and have one or four! We made 93 of them and have plenty left right now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-23, 00:41

Oooh... Looks good! I've never thought to use protein powder in baked goods. Is this your first time using it like this? I wonder what chocolate protein powder would do for a brownie recipe. Hmm...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-23, 13:44

It is not our first time thought we've only done it recently, as in the last few months. It really does make an improvement on the taste and doesn't seem to effect the texture at all either. You can't even taste the matcha tea in it but that's supposed to be packed with so much goodness we had to try it too.

Chocolate protein in a brownie mix sounds awesome!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-23, 13:58

You freaky-ass hippies!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-12-23, 20:11

It's great looking at these projects. They probably inspire lots of the rest of us to get busy on something of our own.

I took a university-level cinematography class once, and our semester assignment was to make three short films: a short drama, an instructional film, and a third that I can't remember at the moment, but was probably an advertisement for an original product.

My instructional film gave directions on how to build a piece of furniture without the use of power tools. It was a very simplistic project (*not* using boards and bricks, thank you very much! ), showing kids as the builders; but I just wanted to get it done. It was fun. I thought of it as I read through Brad's amazing harp project. Wow! The harp and the grille were pretty spectacular. I've never seen such an immaculate engine in my life!

This is, again, an inspiring thread. I could almost taste those cookies. Double yum.

Unfortunately, I have about a million projects that need doing. *sigh*
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-07-17, 00:03

I saw this quote on Twitter this evening and decided I needed it as a poster.

Perfect thing to hang above my bar cart.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-07-23, 19:57

And here it is!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-23, 20:26

Nice! The matted frame is a classy touch.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-08-04, 16:04

After 25+ years of doing nothing but freshwater tanks, I'm dipping my toes into the world of saltwater tanks.

Hoping to have everything set up and plumbed by this weekend, if I manage to take photos I'll try and keep track of it here.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-04, 22:09

Cool! Looking forward to seeing your handy work. Might be enough for me to break out my 30 gallon tank again.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-05, 10:14

Day one.

Put the stand and tank into approximate position.

Start breaking out the components I bought, and cleaning them up as needed.

The lights (which are fantastic custom LED lights) were pretty dusty. Spent almost an hour just cleaning these out.

Started to work on the plumbing, but either I'm stupid or I'm missing two pieces. Stop by the hardware store this afternoon to stock up. I have a guy in the area who's selling live rock for $1 a pound. Cheapest I can find it anywhere is $4 - $8 a lb. So picking that up tonight, so time to really get moving on this tank.

My freshwater tank has gotten super overgrown.

Google is your frenemy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-05, 11:37

Man you have got to keep posting this. It really is making me thing hard about getting my 30 gallon tank back out again. Maybe I'll try live plants in it. Right now I have a beta that my sone got for Christmas and that is it.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2016-08-06, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
After 25+ years of doing nothing but freshwater tanks, I'm dipping my toes into the world of saltwater tanks.

Hoping to have everything set up and plumbed by this weekend, if I manage to take photos I'll try and keep track of it here.
Welcome to the club. Best advice I can give for saltwater tanks (especially if you go the reef route): nothing good will come of going fast.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-08, 13:31

So, got the tank set up, added the live rock from someone who was breaking down their own tank.

Still haven't plumbed the sump yet.

Brad, random question. Can the forums be upgraded to auto-size image that are too large inside the img tags? I'm too lazy to shrink them down but they blow up the threads.

Here were some hitchhikers that I removed. I'm sure I missed some bristle worms though.

The live rock was picked up from a local hobbyist. I got to anemones and a hermit crab along with it as hitchhikers as well.

Little hermit crab.

The ghostly white anemone.

I think a green bubble tip.

Tank right now. Still need to plumb the sump, and figure out final placement and how I want to hang the lights.

Google is your frenemy.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-15, 11:54

So, I have no idea what I'm really doing, but here's what it looks like now. The camera can't take a shot with the blues on, so I turned them off for the four side shots.

I've been going a bit slowly since I'm new to the hobby, but got the lights done this weekend.

I'd plumbed the sump but after an hour found some very slow leaks on my connections, so fixed those up and will give it another shot after work. Once the sump is hooked up the heater and wavemakers will come out.

Side 1:

Side 2:

Side 3:

Side 4:

I haven't hooked up the skimmer yet, need to get a proper sized pump for it and then that should be ready to go.

If anyone feels up to helping me ID some hitchhikers, I've posted in the Reef Central forum a few days back and haven't heard anything yet. Just wanted to verify whether or not some of the new critters should stay or go, but didn't see a specific place for that.

Happy to take any advice on rock placements too.

Google is your frenemy.